Author Topic: Westcoast rap has failed.  (Read 2447 times)

westside159

Re: Westcoast rap has failed.
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 01:04:58 PM »
The Twinz - eastside LB , Round and Round ,  Warren G - This D.J , So many ways , Kurupt - We can freak it , Space boogie , Tha Eastsidaz - G'd up , MC Eiht - Thicker than water , All for the. money , Can I kill it , The Click - Wolf tickets  , Dubee - My thang , Mac Dre - Since 84 , Dr Dre - Still dre , Let me ride , Tha dogg pound - Smooth , I don'like to dream about getting paid , Nate dogg - Nobody does it better , Dru Down - Can you feel me. , Celly Cel - It's Goin down tonight , Tupac - Do for love , Ambitions as a today , Ice Cube - It was a good day , Tha nigga you love to hate  , Too Short - Cocktails , Don't fight the feelin , Gettin it , Above the law - black superman , DJ Quik - Tonight , Dollaz N Sense , Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggy dogg world , Sixx minutes , N.W.A - Express ya self , Dayz of Wayback , Cypress hill - How I can just kill a man , Prelude to ah come up , Etc Etc 8) 8)

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 02:27:47 AM »
How pathetic and enlightening to see dissent and a desire for some sophistication equated by some people here to 'being gay' or, even more laughably, 'being female'. That you consider being female to be an insult in itself shows an awful lot about your misogyny mixed with shortsighted definitions of perceived masculinity.
Let's hope you might grow some maturity and a more positive worldview. Here's two things that might help you on your way to a better understanding of yourself, the culture you come from and society:

Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »
Z is a female.. one of the few females here, and an O.G. at the forum... she used to be pretty cool (even dated a member on the forum, dubcc love connection  8)), but sounds like she feigns herself to be so "mature" now...  Maybe she listens to Dave Mathews Band now because she has grown so much.... I don't buy it, just another O.G. who has sold out

An intelligent female hip-hop fan?  Call me sheltered, but isn't that rare?  That puts a whole new light on the original post for me.  Respect.

Another way rap in general has failed for me: production over vocals.  Back in the day, if you sucked vocally, either in flow or lyrics, you were wack, no matter what your beat sounded like.  A good beat makes a good SONG, not a good RAPPER.  Now the top ten is filled with artists who barely say any words and have "slappin" beats.  Niggas In Paris is one of the stupidest and wackest songs I have ever heard...and this is coming from the top rappers in the game!! 

YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
^lol u thinkin of a different Z, but in essence, he is a female

ironic
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:47 AM »
How pathetic and enlightening to see dissent and a desire for some sophistication equated by some people here to 'being gay' or, even more laughably, 'being female'. That you consider being female to be an insult in itself shows an awful lot about your misogyny mixed with shortsighted definitions of perceived masculinity.
Let's hope you might grow some maturity and a more positive worldview. Here's two things that might help you on your way to a better understanding of yourself, the culture you come from and society:

Shut the fuck up.

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 02:04:17 AM »
I feel inclined to keep posting in this thread, just to spite NikCC. However, that might be feeding the trolls. What a delicate flower he must be if the very concept of trying to improve yourself as a person, facing your shortcomings or criticizing artists seems to upset him to the point of apparently being unable to do more than the written equivalent of stamping his feet in anger and trying to bully me into silence by doing so.

Grow some substance, grow a spine, grow some selfreflection, grow altogether. If this leads to another desparate 'shut the fuck up!', I rest my case.   

Sccit

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2014, 02:08:20 AM »
I feel inclined to keep posting in this thread, just to spite NikCC. However, that might be feeding the trolls. What a delicate flower he must be if the very concept of trying to improve yourself as a person, facing your shortcomings or criticizing artists seems to upset him to the point of apparently being unable to do more than the written equivalent of stamping his feet in anger and trying to bully me into silence by doing so.

Grow some substance, grow a spine, grow some selfreflection, grow altogether. If this leads to another desparate 'shut the fuck up!', I rest my case.   

Shut the fuck up.

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2014, 02:18:34 AM »
Z is rolling his eyes right now goin "on my gosh, look what rap has done to people", with his pinkie in the air

Z sounds like such a bitch that infinite thought he was a bitch, and that other dude said "hold up, he's a female? Ok, now it makes more sense"

Z's balls are shrinking with each post and he thinks thats ok.

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
I feel inclined to keep posting in this thread, just to spite NikCC. However, that might be feeding the trolls.

Heh, yeah.  If that is all he says instead of giving a contradictory argument, it's like talking to a wall.

Raphael

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »
What type of responses were you expecting? You're posting on a rap forum about how you are ashamed of listening to rap and how you have outgrown the music and that you hope that everyone else does. I can only speak for myself but you come across as a pompous faggot.  :camp:

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »
Of course I wasn't expecting much in the way of positive responses. After all, this is Dubcc, where internet tough guys, online gangbangers and ignorant machos (in an much as those groups don't overlap) form herds and stampede over each other's delicate and irrational preferences and dislikes. You can't expect much insight from such a community. In fact, I was surprised that some people actually reacted in a respectable way.

But my main point? Take a look at the topic title. I feel that westcoast rap could be so much more than it is and that its artists in general waste their energy and their talent on making the same old tired cliched nonsense and that the genre could have been so much more. Rapping doesn't have to be about money, violence, drugs and bitches, does it? It's not even that profanity in itself is something I'm bothered by. But I am bothered by lack of effort and lack of originality.

You know, I'm even going to go so far as quoting Encyclopedia Dramatica here (I know, that's stooping very low but then this is Dubcc, so I shouldn't be aiming as high as I did anyway), because their list of what's going on in rap lyrics, though satirical, is painfully close to reality. Read the list and tell me it's not close to what most westcoast rap is about, minus the New York and KFC reference.

For a song to classify as rap, one must be able to identify most or all of the following elements:

A list of felonies
    Ebonics
    Swearing every other line
    Even though not in concert, you must use phrases that refer to you being in an actual concert, such as "Put ya' hands in da' air"
    Lyrics or titles containing the pseudomorph tha. as in Tha Cops Was Aksin' Me
    Multiple references to some sort of "hood" or "projects". (Somewhere in New York is always a good place to start.)
    Lyrics about raping white women in KFC (they were asking for it which is always the case).
    Police sirens.
    Anything describing sex
    Singing about hard times
    Drugs -- lots of drugs

By the way, I really am pompous, so that's not much of an insult. But if merely wanting something more from westcoast rap than what's been done for nearly 30 years is unreasonable and makes the chimps here go bananas, that says enough about the fans' role in why the genre is as fossilized as it is. Westcoast rap in its current form is a zombie long due being pushed back into its grave and its fans let it keep walking.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:59:14 AM by Z the laidback Virus »

Raphael

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
I don't think so much pressure should be put on the west coast rap scene. You make it seem like there is no diversity in the music. In the 90's you had artists and groups like The Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Ras Kass, J5 and many more who were doing their own thing. I don't really know who is hot these days but Odd Future are pretty big and they are definitely not gangster rappers.

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »
When rap started, very few items in that list were included.  But music, along with everything else, gets worse as times go on.   I can tolerate the language and subject matter as long as the beat and vocals are good.  Sometimes the subject although bad is written in a humorous way.  But yea it is very repetitive to the point where I rarely listen to anything current anymore.  

Sccit

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »
What type of responses were you expecting? You're posting on a rap forum about how you are ashamed of listening to rap and how you have outgrown the music and that you hope that everyone else does. I can only speak for myself but you come across as a pompous faggot.  :camp:

There u go.. And dp is just as bad, rationalizing this bitchmade behavior smfh

Sccit

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
Of course I wasn't expecting much in the way of positive responses. After all, this is Dubcc, where internet tough guys, online gangbangers and ignorant machos (in an much as those groups don't overlap) form herds and stampede over each other's delicate and irrational preferences and dislikes. You can't expect much insight from such a community. In fact, I was surprised that some people actually reacted in a respectable way.

But my main point? Take a look at the topic title. I feel that westcoast rap could be so much more than it is and that its artists in general waste their energy and their talent on making the same old tired cliched nonsense and that the genre could have been so much more. Rapping doesn't have to be about money, violence, drugs and bitches, does it? It's not even that profanity in itself is something I'm bothered by. But I am bothered by lack of effort and lack of originality.

You know, I'm even going to go so far as quoting Encyclopedia Dramatica here (I know, that's stooping very low but then this is Dubcc, so I shouldn't be aiming as high as I did anyway), because their list of what's going on in rap lyrics, though satirical, is painfully close to reality. Read the list and tell me it's not close to what most westcoast rap is about, minus the New York and KFC reference.

For a song to classify as rap, one must be able to identify most or all of the following elements:

A list of felonies
    Ebonics
    Swearing every other line
    Even though not in concert, you must use phrases that refer to you being in an actual concert, such as "Put ya' hands in da' air"
    Lyrics or titles containing the pseudomorph tha. as in Tha Cops Was Aksin' Me
    Multiple references to some sort of "hood" or "projects". (Somewhere in New York is always a good place to start.)
    Lyrics about raping white women in KFC (they were asking for it which is always the case).
    Police sirens.
    Anything describing sex
    Singing about hard times
    Drugs -- lots of drugs

By the way, I really am pompous, so that's not much of an insult. But if merely wanting something more from westcoast rap than what's been done for nearly 30 years is unreasonable and makes the chimps here go bananas, that says enough about the fans' role in why the genre is as fossilized as it is. Westcoast rap in its current form is a zombie long due being pushed back into its grave and its fans let it keep walking.

Wtf are u goin on about?? There's a ganga different sub-genres of rap, from positive to negative...just like cinema, just like anything in life

Also...

Shut the fuck up.