Author Topic: Westcoast rap has failed.  (Read 2456 times)

Sccit

Re: Westcoast rap has failed.
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
After all, this is Dubcc, so I shouldn't be aiming as high as I did anyway),

This right here is your problem.. You sound like a pretentious faggot. Your holier than thou approach makes you easy to wana slap.

And godamn, I didn't even read the KFC part until now... This faggot is tryna fight west coast rap with racism. You would be owning slaves right now if it were legal, you bitch.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
After all, this is Dubcc, so I shouldn't be aiming as high as I did anyway),

This right here is your problem.. You sound like a pretentious faggot. Your holier than thou approach makes you easy to wana slap.

And godamn, I didn't even read the KFC part until now... This faggot is tryna fight west coast rap with racism. You would be owning slaves right now if it were legal, you bitch.

Word... I'm curious to know what his definition of "mature" music is.  Like Arab poet Khalil Gibran says, "Music is the sound that can't be spoken (in regular words), but can not be kept silent".  Or as Mos Def says, hip-hop is not some giant in the hillside but it is the voice of the people.  If you want to know where hip-hop is at, look at where the people are at.

So my point is, that like Sccit says, you are being a pretentious faggot if you are too good for the 90's West Coast golden age because you suddenly feign some sort of maturity.  What is your "mature" music you listen to now?  Because the world is still the world, and actually the Western World has declined since the 90's golden age.  

The world has declined, a man is not even a man these days as he was then.  At least in the 90's golden age where Quik comes from a man was a man and a bitch was a bitch.  Now the trend in music is that men follow the women and that the women create the trends.  So do you prefer Niki Minaj?  Because that's what shit has been degraded to...The bitches are runing shit now... Niki even calls herself a bitch and a hoe and she is runnin shit in the lowly state of today's rap game.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:56:50 PM by Master P...Da Last Don »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
At least in the 90's golden age where Quik comes from a man was a man and a bitch was a bitch.  

Z lets his girl fuck him with a strap-on

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2014, 02:14:18 PM »

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
Another problem is this style of music is a huge moneymaker.  Ice-T, 2 Live Crew and NWA were the catalyst, and when they blew up, other artists jumped on.  Now artists just keep feeding the people what they want.

Nicki Minaj is runnin things, but look at how she lowers herself to do it.  Queen Latifah and Salt & Pepa would have never stooped to her level.

We all have our own opinions, no reason to fight about it y'all.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2014, 03:33:53 AM »
I did say I was quoting Encyclopedia Dramatica. For who doesn't know that site, it's meant to troll and offend. My point there was that their assessment of what mainstream rap's lyrics are about are over the top but also ring terribly true. To equate that with racism on my part is overly emotional. If I quote, I feel I should quote the whole shebang and not just choice bits, so that's why it was there. On the other hand, I can see why quoting that part muddied the waters, so perhaps I shouldn't have. As for 'you'd be having slaves!', way to overreact and 'slime the opposition' as it were. Let me be high and mighty again, as you guys put it, and say I've probably got more empathy in my pinkie than many of you in your entire bodies. Why else would I make a fuss about misogyny and homophobia and presumably qualify as 'bleeding hearts liberal'?

Amusing to see how the nostalgia filter is being used here 'back in my day, Quik was telling it like it is!' Fuck that, Quik has never told it like it is, except the way it was in the narrow, entitled, immature minds of himself, his crew and many of his fans. He's always been good with beats, but a tantrum-throwing, substanceless manchild on the microphone (and as a person, I might add). If he has said a word of wisdom sometime (and I mean something wiser than 'I never put my name on a track that ain't mine'), it's been drowned out by all the negative bullshit he's peddled at any other time. I repeat, I like the sound of his music but really, lyrically he's a great example of why westcoast rap on the whole is about negativity and without substance. America's most complete artist? Leave out the third grade language and we'll talk, Quik.

And yes, there are other rappers out there. But to what extent are they the face of westcoast hiphop? They aren't, they're sideshows catering to a peripheric audience.

I don't doubt I come off high and mighty if I say I shouldn't aim high here, but really, if reactions consist of 'shut the fuck up', 'Z is a female' ,'Z lets himself get fucked with a strap-on' and 'Z is a faggot', do you really set the bar high enough for me not mock you?

And sure, vulgar language in music can be fun and work, but you do need to make an effort. Here's a few examples of when it does work in a way that's not an embarassment to the artist:

Unfortunately, most westcoast rappers seem to aim for the profanity for profanity's sake, rather then to do something fun with it. An exception might be Suga Free, if he didn't likely mean every misogynistic word he's ever said.

And come on? What's mature music? You're fighting a strawman there. The examples I gave here aren't mature music in subject matter, but at least they put in an effort for originality. I find that woefully missing in most of westcoast rap. But, to throw you a bone anyway, 'mature' music at least aims somewhat higher than third-grade. Kicking up instead of kicking down (by attacking, say, women or gays who are already less privileged) might be a good start for rappers. Rapping about something else than the size of their wallet, jersey's, dicks, weedsacks and chains might be a good look as well. Leave behind the mentality and subject matter that makes people not take rappers seriously. Is that hard to understand?  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:40:12 AM by Z the laidback Virus »
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Sccit

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »
I did say I was quoting Encyclopedia Dramatica. For who doesn't know that site, it's meant to troll and offend. My point there was that their assessment of what mainstream rap's lyrics are about are over the top but also ring terribly true. To equate that with racism on my part is overly emotional. If I quote, I feel I should quote the whole shebang and not just choice bits, so that's why it was there. On the other hand, I can see why quoting that part muddied the waters, so perhaps I shouldn't have. As for 'you'd be having slaves!', way to overreact and 'slime the opposition' as it were. Let me be high and mighty again, as you guys put it, and say I've probably got more empathy in my pinkie than many of you in your entire bodies. Why else would I make a fuss about misogyny and homophobia and presumably qualify as 'bleeding hearts liberal'?

Amusing to see how the nostalgia filter is being used here 'back in my day, Quik was telling it like it is!' Fuck that, Quik has never told it like it is, except the way it was in the narrow, entitled, immature minds of himself, his crew and many of his fans. He's always been good with beats, but a tantrum-throwing, substanceless manchild on the microphone (and as a person, I might add). If he has said a word of wisdom sometime (and I mean something wiser than 'I never put my name on a track that ain't mine'), it's been drowned out by all the negative bullshit he's peddled at any other time. I repeat, I like the sound of his music but really, lyrically he's a great example of why westcoast rap on the whole is about negativity and without substance. America's most complete artist? Leave out the third grade language and we'll talk, Quik.

And yes, there are other rappers out there. But to what extent are they the face of westcoast hiphop? They aren't, they're sideshows catering to a peripheric audience.

I don't doubt I come off high and mighty if I say I shouldn't aim high here, but really, if reactions consist of 'shut the fuck up', 'Z is a female' ,'Z lets himself get fucked with a strap-on' and 'Z is a faggot', do you really set the bar high enough for me not mock you?

And sure, vulgar language in music can be fun and work, but you do need to make an effort. Here's a few examples of when it does work in a way that's not an embarassment to the artist:

Unfortunately, most westcoast rappers seem to aim for the profanity for profanity's sake, rather then to do something fun with it. An exception might be Suga Free, if he didn't likely mean every misogynistic word he's ever said.

And come on? What's mature music? You're fighting a strawman there. The examples I gave here aren't mature music in subject matter, but at least they put in an effort for originality. I find that woefully missing in most of westcoast rap. But, to throw you a bone anyway, 'mature' music at least aims somewhat higher than third-grade. Kicking up instead of kicking down (by attacking, say, women or gays who are already less privileged) might be a good start for rappers. Rapping about something else than the size of their wallet, jersey's, dicks, weedsacks and chains might be a good look as well. Leave behind the mentality and subject matter that makes people not take rappers seriously. Is that hard to understand?  

Shut the fuck up.

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »

Shut the fuck up.

So, are you trolling, an idiot who can't argue or utterly unable to either deal with or ignore things you don't like?
Mind you, none of the above is an excuse for still stamping your feet here but considering the question might lead to some selfawareness on your part. Of course, I can tell what your insightful, well thought out and eloquent response to this is going to be. Do dig that hole deeper, you're the one it proves to be a buffoon.

Sccit

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2014, 02:25:43 AM »
Z sounds like the principle from How High

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2014, 02:43:49 AM »

Wow! *slow clap* Something new from you. Is this going to be your next phrase for the coming five posts?

By the way, the word you're looking for is 'principal'. A principle is used as in 'I consider sagging my pants on the street to show I'm totes not an insecure macho one of my principles'. Do I, as a non-native speaker of English, need to school you in what's presumably your own language?

I haven't seen that film, by the way, I'm not interested in stoner flicks, but I presume that principal is supposed to be your typical uptight, not understanding, overly concerned, funstopping, rules-abiding cartboard cut-out character that you find in films that are supposed to be about rebels who really are idiots? Good to know you're coming up with persuasive arguments as to why I'm wrong and you are right. Don't strain your brain with those mental gymnastics.

Raphael

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »
Snoops message about not loving hoes was important in a time when movies like "Pretty Woman" were popular. I don't consider that misogyny.

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2014, 01:19:21 AM »
Snoops message about not loving hoes was important in a time when movies like "Pretty Woman" were popular. I don't consider that misogyny.

Are you seriously suggesting Snoop's oeuvre at the time (and I suppose the 20 years afterward, on the whole he hasn't changed his subject matter much) was based on romantic films? Really?
Movies like 'Pretty Woman'? Well, name me a few others from around that time frame with the same theme? You can't say 'films like such and such were popular' when you've only got that one film.
Why is it not misogyny to talk about women as hoes because there might be one, two or even a hundred films out there in which someone is in love with a prostitute?
Why was it, ever, important to talk about women as whores?
Why was it ever important to make sure people who visit prostitutes don't fall in love with them? Why would it have been more important then? Also, shouldn't he rather have told men not to go there instead of putting the blame on the professional sexworker?
What would you consider misogyny if referring to all or most women as whores isn't?

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »
If so, it's no surprise.  Movies have influenced hip-hop.  For example, so many rappers wanted to be like Scarface.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Sccit

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »

Wow! *slow clap* Something new from you. Is this going to be your next phrase for the coming five posts?

By the way, the word you're looking for is 'principal'. A principle is used as in 'I consider sagging my pants on the street to show I'm totes not an insecure macho one of my principles'. Do I, as a non-native speaker of English, need to school you in what's presumably your own language?

I haven't seen that film, by the way, I'm not interested in stoner flicks, but I presume that principal is supposed to be your typical uptight, not understanding, overly concerned, funstopping, rules-abiding cartboard cut-out character that you find in films that are supposed to be about rebels who really are idiots? Good to know you're coming up with persuasive arguments as to why I'm wrong and you are right. Don't strain your brain with those mental gymnastics.

Ain't nobody on a west coast hip-hop forum tryna debate with bill orielly

Just shut the fuck up and everything will be okay.

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2014, 03:08:54 AM »
I find this thread quite funny. Who the hell takes rap music seriously? (ok i know there is at least one guy on this forum who feels like rap music is his religion. It's his parents fault probably. don't blame him).
Well.. rap music is a big lie even though people around the world claim it to be the realest music genre on planet earth. No. Rap music like any other "pop" music is nothing but entertainment. It's not an art. It's a f*cking entertainment.
And all these rappers do whatever they can do to entertain their listeners. Most of the time they lie. Just because these lies are entertaining. Speaking of gangsta west coast rap...real gangsters don't spend their time in the record booth.real gangsters don't speak about their crimes to milinos of listeners around the world. Only entertainers, so called studio gangsters rhyme about their imaginary crimes in public. Same thing goes with their sexuality, sexual conquests and relationships with women.
Of course, there are some exceptions but i guess it would be like 1% of the whole rap scene around the world.

Even in my younger days i knew the west coast rap is just a form of entertainment and it's nothing that should be followed by anybody. When you realize this you will also realize that west coast rap never failed at it.
I know that this form expression is quite brutal, homopohobic, chauvinistic and most of the time real dumb. But sometimes i like to spend time listening to it just like i like to watch gangster movies sometimes or dumb comedies. On the other hand i listen to jazz music very often, i watch psychological dramas very often. Just a different form of entertainment. And it really depends on the mood when it comes to 'what should i watch/listen to today'.

Speaking of Quik... my wife loves his music. She never found his music offensive probably because she knows that this is nothing but easy-listening music with dumb lyrics. She always was like "i would like this music more if the lyrics wasn't that dumb but i like it anyways. These guys are funny".

So in my opinion gangsta rap music was never a problem. The problem are people who take it seriously.

I tell you what... there is no single rapper on planet earth that i would call idol of mine. If you can name one your idol then you should really ask yourself what went wrong in your life.

Peace!    
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:32:25 AM by shoo »