Author Topic: Anyone think Dre was pissed about Hammer signing to Death Row?  (Read 380 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Just a theory.. but the Hammer signing came right around the time Dre left, and one of the main reasons he left was quality control, he was supposed to be able to control who signed to the label, that was the original agreement with Suge
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

smp4life

Re: Anyone think Dre was pissed about Hammer signing to Death Row?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
He most definitely did not agree with the Hammer signing, from what I've read. A ton of people got "signed" to the label that Dre had never met. It really was the beginning of the end.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:12:14 PM »
Dr. Dre didn't do enough work production wise at this point to have a real say.  Such a shame though.  Most disorganized big time label of the 90's.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:37:25 PM »
Dr. Dre didn't do enough work production wise at this point to have a real say.  Such a shame though.  Most disorganized big time label of the 90's.

You don't know what the fuck your talking about man.....

Do you realize that most major labels in that era might put out like 10 albums in a year and they will be lucky if one of those albums goes platinum?

...So as long as Dre was making one platinum hit a year then that was more than enough by industry standards.  92 he had the Chronic.  93 he had Doggystyle.  94 he contributed hits to Murder was the Case.   95 he mixed the Dogg Pound album and helped them go double platinum.  96 he had 2pac's big hit and lead single for All Eyez On Me that helped it blow up multi-platinum...

They were very organized, and as much as I love Suge, his fatal mistake was when he started stepping on Dre's toes and didn't let Dre have final say with Quality Control
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »
Disagree.  Beyond being a producer, he was the guy developing the artists.  All of the artists who were successful during that period where coming from is direction.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »
Disagree.  Beyond being a producer, he was the guy developing the artists.  All of the artists who were successful during that period where coming from is direction.
Good point.  So maybe he ended up doing far fewer beats in his later years on Death Row, but a lot of people were mentored by him.  I remember some Snoop interview with MTV where he was talking about how Dre would coach him on how he wanted to deliver certain lyrics, like the part on Stranded on Death Row where he went "I'm not flagging, I'm just sagging/ I bet you don't wanna see the D-O-double-G" was something he had Snoop re-do, and Snoop would talk about how he never thought to do it like that but noticed how creative Dre was in terms of getting the finished product that he was imagining in his head.

Suge wasn't doing that, beyond drunkenly grabbing two artists and telling them to make a song and funding the daily operations.