Poll

who's better?

Eminem
10 (41.7%)
Rakim
14 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Eminem vs Rakim  (Read 1534 times)

Will_B

Re: Eminem vs Rakim
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
Classic West, personal classics, classic Aftermath etc etc doesn't = all time classics no

well, it's not any of those...them albums are considered consensus hip-hop classics. if your pretentious mind disagrees, all good. but please dont preach your minority opinion as gospel.

I don't care what other people supposedly 'universally' call classics. We've all got out opinions, hence being on a hiphop forum.

To me Ems a crossover phenomenon. Dope and clever MC that was nurtured and matured into possibly the best pop rap artist of all time and a cultural icon. In a way he's bigger than just a pop star (practically a legend in his own lifetime by modern standards) but in terms of classic all round hiphop greats he's nowhere near the top.

Sccit

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
Classic West, personal classics, classic Aftermath etc etc doesn't = all time classics no

well, it's not any of those...them albums are considered consensus hip-hop classics. if your pretentious mind disagrees, all good. but please dont preach your minority opinion as gospel.

I don't care what other people supposedly 'universally' call classics. We've all got out opinions, hence being on a hiphop forum.

To me Ems a crossover phenomenon. Dope and clever MC that was nurtured and matured into possibly the best pop rap artist of all time and a cultural icon. In a way he's bigger than just a pop star (practically a legend in his own lifetime by modern standards) but in terms of classic all round hiphop greats he's nowhere near the top.
m
But sometimes it transcends opinion and becomes stupidly .. In basketball terms, if someone claimed Kareem wasn't one of the greatests, they'd be an idiot. Some things are just universal truths, and certain albums are recognized as undeniable hip-hop classics. You're confusing personal taste with unbiased ranking.. I don't like country, but I'm not guna sit here and tell you that there are no country album classics just because it's not my preference. That's where it starts crossing into pretentious.

Will_B

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »

m
But sometimes it transcends opinion and becomes stupidly .. In basketball terms, if someone claimed Kareem wasn't one of the greatests, they'd be an idiot. Some things are just universal truths, and certain albums are recognized as undeniable hip-hop classics. You're confusing personal taste with unbiased ranking.. I don't like country, but I'm not guna sit here and tell you that there are no country album classics just because it's not my preference. That's where it starts crossing into pretentious.

I didn't say there are no classic hiphop albums, that'd be dumb.

EDIT: Also I never said Em wasn't one of the greatest MC's. Just not lyricists, or classic albums
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:59:13 PM by Do Buy Albums »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
Really, I own 18th Letter. I play that album a lot in college. I never got that, "OMG, this dude is amazing" feel from it. Eric B. and Rakim, yes, each album made me feel like Rakim was fucking amazing. But 18th Letter? Really? I mean Rakim was good on it, but the whole feel of the album just didn't blow me out the water or anything like that.

Personal taste but for me his penmanship on that album is amazing. Em has it at times like on Stan but his 'my mommas on your lips' type lyrics (most of it) just basic ish. As an MC, song conceps, production etc Ems albums are amazing but content is not there

Lol you didn't even get the lyrics right. How are you gonna comment on his lyrics when you don't even understand them? Speaking of content though... most of Rakim's work with Eric B had next to no content on them. He's rapping about rapping. And these are his best albums.

Will_B

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
Really, I own 18th Letter. I play that album a lot in college. I never got that, "OMG, this dude is amazing" feel from it. Eric B. and Rakim, yes, each album made me feel like Rakim was fucking amazing. But 18th Letter? Really? I mean Rakim was good on it, but the whole feel of the album just didn't blow me out the water or anything like that.

Personal taste but for me his penmanship on that album is amazing. Em has it at times like on Stan but his 'my mommas on your lips' type lyrics (most of it) just basic ish. As an MC, song conceps, production etc Ems albums are amazing but content is not there

Lol you didn't even get the lyrics right. How are you gonna comment on his lyrics when you don't even understand them? Speaking of content though... most of Rakim's work with Eric B had next to no content on them. He's rapping about rapping. And these are his best albums.

Wow. Bum is on your lips is so much better. I just had an epiphany. Greatest lyricist of all time :D

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »
rakim is the better lyricist, eminem had better range in his music. overall, a classic em album is more entertaining than a classic rakim album, but like others already said, they're interchangeable, as is the story with most greats.

I'm curious to know how you were able to conclude that Rakim is a better lyricist than Eminem?
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »

I was going to say the same shit. His Solo stuff is not even considered his best shit ha.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »
sslp and mmlp are classic albums which could measure up with any rap album ever made.

But no

you need to stop sounding like u talk with your eyes closed, brodie...

seriously, rank the albums or dont bother replyin

18th Letter > SSLP = MMLP
WTF?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:03:20 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I personally have Rakim over Eminem as a rapper. We are not debating Rakim> Eminem. But to put down Eminem just reeks of trolling. Straight up, Eminem is on of the greatest, most complete rappers of all time. You being so dismissive of him really hurts your argument. I mean no content? Really? Not even White America, or Sing for the Moment, or Toy Soldier?

None of the songs you listed are on SSLP or MMLP

First off, I never considered SSLP a classic. But even that album had Brain Damage.The MMLP had Stan, The Way I Am, and Kim.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
rakim is the better lyricist, eminem had better range in his music. overall, a classic em album is more entertaining than a classic rakim album, but like others already said, they're interchangeable, as is the story with most greats.

I'm curious to know how you were able to conclude that Rakim is a better lyricist than Eminem?

I would. But it's not like it's a wipe out. They are different.

Sccit

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »

m

I didn't say there are no classic hiphop albums, that'd be dumb.

EDIT: Also I never said Em wasn't one of the greatest MC's. Just not lyricists, or classic albums

and thats where your personal preference gets in the way of unbiased judgement.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »

I would. But it's not like it's a wipe out. They are different.
So how did you come up with that conclusion. I always found it weird how people were able to make that distinction when comparing two highly skilled lyricist. To this day I haven't heard anyone give me a thorough explanation how they did it. Seems like it's just another opinion, claimed to be fact.

Sccit

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 05:20:14 PM »

lmao i just caught that, "my mommas on your lips"...will really is somethin else, never change.

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »

i'm not tryna get into the science of lyricism right now, but rakim is more consistent with his bars and is impeccable with placement of where the rhymes hit. i think he's the best example i can come up with for how the perfect rhyme should be structured. eminem is right up there, tho.. just not as clean of an overall structure to his rhymes.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »

i'm not tryna get into the science of lyricism right now, but rakim is more consistent with his bars and is impeccable with placement of where the rhymes hit. i think he's the best example i can come up with for how the perfect rhyme should be structured. eminem is right up there, tho.. just not as clean of an overall structure to his rhymes.
[/color]

Disagree but cool.