Poll

who's better?

Eminem
10 (41.7%)
Rakim
14 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Eminem vs Rakim  (Read 1535 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Eminem vs Rakim
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 06:20:12 PM »
rakim is the better lyricist, eminem had better range in his music. overall, a classic em album is more entertaining than a classic rakim album, but like others already said, they're interchangeable, as is the story with most greats.

I'm curious to know how you were able to conclude that Rakim is a better lyricist than Eminem?

i'm not tryna get into the science of lyricism right now, but rakim is more consistent with his bars and is impeccable with placement of where the rhymes hit. i think he's the best example i can come up with for how the perfect rhyme should be structured. eminem is right up there, tho.. just not as clean of an overall structure to his rhymes.

Sounds about right. In also take into account impact and influence. So say someone like a 2Pac who was skilled, but not to the level of an Eminem or Rakim, would really make up points in that aspect, plus range of songs and the ability to construct albums. To me it's more than rhyme structure, but with just rhyme structure you have very few that are even close to Rakim. I have see some take vocabulary size, I think that's a crock of shit, but Canibus ranked the highest in that category. There is so much you can do. But at the end of the day, art is subjective. And to me Rakim is better. But honestly to say Eminem is not close-up or to even say Eminem is not top 5, or to reduce him to just a hip hop pop act is a huge injustice to Eminem. Em to be is number 4 overall on my list. Only 2 spots behind Rakim and just under 2Pac.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »
rakim is the better lyricist, eminem had better range in his music. overall, a classic em album is more entertaining than a classic rakim album, but like others already said, they're interchangeable, as is the story with most greats.

I'm curious to know how you were able to conclude that Rakim is a better lyricist than Eminem?

i'm not tryna get into the science of lyricism right now, but rakim is more consistent with his bars and is impeccable with placement of where the rhymes hit. i think he's the best example i can come up with for how the perfect rhyme should be structured. eminem is right up there, tho.. just not as clean of an overall structure to his rhymes.

Sounds about right. In also take into account impact and influence. So say someone like a 2Pac who was skilled, but not to the level of an Eminem or Rakim, would really make up points in that aspect, plus range of songs and the ability to construct albums. To me it's more than rhyme structure, but with just rhyme structure you have very few that are even close to Rakim. I have see some take vocabulary size, I think that's a crock of shit, but Canibus ranked the highest in that category. There is so much you can do. But at the end of the day, art is subjective. And to me Rakim is better. But honestly to say Eminem is not close-up or to even say Eminem is not top 5, or to reduce him to just a hip hop pop act is a huge injustice to Eminem. Em to be is number 4 overall on my list. Only 2 spots behind Rakim and just under 2Pac.
I don't have a problem with anyone saying Rakim is better. I love RA. He's a pioneer! My point is that Hop Hop has a lot of elements and if we're going to talk about the element of lyricism ALONE, there is no fucking way anyone can claim that Em is not on Rakims level in terms of lyricism. That's just false. Eminem is a mad scientist. If you want to bring up other aspects about him and just talk about him as a WHOLE artist, then it becomes a bit more subjective. But in terms of just the science of lyricism, Eminem is right there at the top with the best and possibly even higher.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com//v/I53vWm8dJGk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com//v/I53vWm8dJGk</a>
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:31:35 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Sccit

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »

I don't have a problem with anyone saying Rakim is better. I love RA. He's a pioneer! My point is that Hop Hop has a lot of elements and if we're going to talk about the element of lyricism ALONE, there is no fucking way anyone can claim that Em is not on Rakims level in terms of lyricism. That's just false. Eminem is a mad scientist. If you want to bring up other aspects about him and just talk about him as a WHOLE artist, then it becomes a bit more subjective. But in terms of just the science of lyricism, Eminem is right there at the top with the best and possibly even higher.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com//v/I53vWm8dJGk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com//v/I53vWm8dJGk</a>

i agree...there isn't a huge margin between em and ra. theyre interchangeable, really.

Matty

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »
gotta go with rakim.

would go with rakim regardless, but my criticism is that eminem's latter part of his career isn't doing him any favours. he might still have the raw spitting abilities but his albums just aren't on the level of his earlier work. not to say rakim's last LP was great but some of ems output has been really grating.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »

No doubt. Em is a beast. Like I said earlier, to me Em is like Joe Montana and Rakim is like Otto Graham. You can argue all day and night over who's better. To me it is very close

Lucifuge

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2014, 04:11:41 AM »
Ra has one classic, em two.
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Will_B

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2014, 05:57:29 AM »
Aside from Stan and Lose Yourself Em has nothing on the level of the greats. I guess I could put him top 20. But not 5 or 10

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »
Aside from Stan and Lose Yourself Em has nothing on the level of the greats. I guess I could put him top 20. But not 5 or 10

smh

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »

Man, I know you are trolling. You are trying hard. LOL

Will_B

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2014, 11:16:40 PM »
I find it hilarious you think someone's trolling if they say Em isn't top 5. Maybe you're misunderstanding me, I'm saying he doesn't have 'all time classic' albums across all musical genres. If we're talking about individual songs *maybe* but still I think fall short. Sure you could argue top 5 as spitters. But what is an mc without something to say. Em burnt out on that years ago so the fact he has no longevity there changed my opinion on him

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2014, 01:28:14 AM »
I find it hilarious you think someone's trolling if they say Em isn't top 5. Maybe you're misunderstanding me, I'm saying he doesn't have 'all time classic' albums across all musical genres. If we're talking about individual songs *maybe* but still I think fall short. Sure you could argue top 5 as spitters. But what is an mc without something to say. Em burnt out on that years ago so the fact he has no longevity there changed my opinion on him

So Recovery shows no longevity? That album was amazing. And classic is very subjective. Many consider MMLP a classic. I consider the Eminem Show a classic. Recovery is to me a 4.5 mic album. That's not too far off from Rakim. But you seem to think great rappers have classic albums dropping out their ass. In reality many rappers barely can get one album that people consider a classic. Rakim had Paid in Full, and a bunch of near classics. It's just not that easy. But you make it sound like all great rappers do is put out classics without having a bad album. That's not even true of Rakim. So why hold Eminem to a standard that no one else can meet. To me Eminem is top 5 all time. Most albums sold ever, changed hip hop to mainstream, one of the top 5 lyrist of all time, had many classic songs and produced at least 1 classic album. What more do you want. I have Rakim at number 2. The best lyrist of all time, a classic album, influencer of almost every true lyrist after him. I mean come on, it's hip hop. You can give Rakim his props without putting down Eminem.

Will_B

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2014, 01:41:20 AM »
But you seem to think great rappers have classic albums dropping out their ass. In reality many rappers barely can get one album that people consider a classic. Rakim had Paid in Full, and a bunch of near classics. It's just not that easy. But you make it sound like all great rappers do is put out classics without having a bad album.

When did I say any of that?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2014, 05:59:26 AM »
Didn't have to. You are like Eminem doesn't have classics. First that's false, second a lot of great rappers don't have classics. They all may have a great album, but classics are hard to come by. Still Eminem has at least one classic.

Will_B

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
Didn't have to. You are like Eminem doesn't have classics. First that's false, second a lot of great rappers don't have classics. They all may have a great album, but classics are hard to come by. Still Eminem has at least one classic.

How is my opinion subjective but yours objective? :D

So what's his classic to you? And I'm interested what's the rest of your top 5 goats

Sccit

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
well, it's like saying wilt chamberlain isn't an all-time great in basketball.....

you can claim it as an opinion, but it just makes you sound ridiculously dumb.