Author Topic: Bowling For Columbine  (Read 397 times)

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Bowling For Columbine
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2003, 01:00:13 PM »
great documentary.

we went wit tha whole senior classes to the movie. we rent a cinema for that. great anti-americanism  ;D

Why is your school brainwashing you with "doumentaries" like that?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 01:00:51 PM by CWalker187 »

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2003, 01:20:02 PM »

Ah, CWalker, your skills at libel amaze me. You've read Stupid White Men, haven't you? Can you deny ANY of those facts? That 44 million adult americans cannot read beyond 4th grade level, etc?

Everything Michael Moore does is full of lies and half truths. Seriously man, don't be such a sheep.

http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20020403.html

One Moore stupid white man
With his factually challenged bestseller, Michael Moore becomes an unfortunate poster boy for dissent.
By Ben Fritz (ben@spinsanity.org)
April 3, 2002
[First published on Salon.com (Salon Premium subscription required)]

Michael Moore's latest success might be his most remarkable. At a time when the public remains strongly supportive of the Bush administration -- and few dissenting voices have risen above the din -- his book "Stupid White Men" stands atop the New York Times bestseller list for a third week running.

And at a time when some Republican leaders are using Bush's popularity to equate any criticism of U.S. policy with treason, Moore's success should be a reason for any democracy-loving American to cheer.

It should be, but it isn't.

"Stupid White Men" is full of the biting satire Moore has honed on a large scale ever since the release of his 1989 documentary of General Motors' mistreatment of its workers in Flint, Mich., "Roger and Me," became a hit. He followed that up with a mid-'90s TV series, "TV Nation," the bestselling book "Downsize This!" and the 1998 documentary "The Big One," all of which employ his trademark defense of the little guy against the unchecked callousness of corporate America. [Disclosure: My co-editor Brendan Nyhan and I helped bring Moore to speak at Swarthmore College while we were students there. Moore was paid an honorarium by the college for his speech.]

With the success of "Roger and Me" also came a critical rap: That he took liberties with the truth, fiddling with the chronology, for greater dramatic effect. But that criticism doesn't seem to have made an impression on Moore, and that's nowhere more apparent than in "Stupid White Men." In it, readers are told that 10 million people left the welfare rolls during the '90s, brutally kicked off by Bill Clinton. He writes that five-sixths of the defense budget in 2001 went toward building a single type of plane and that the recent recession is nothing more than a fabrication by the wealthy to keep down the working classes. And readers who uncritically accept those "facts" -- along with a number of other egregious and sloppy distortions -- will be duped. Good satire also should be grounded in fact. Regrettably, Moore gets his facts wrong again and again and again, and a simple check of the sources he cites shows that lazy research is often to blame.

Consider, for instance, his claim that "two-thirds of [the over $190 million President Bush raised during the presidential campaign] came from just over seven hundred individuals." Given the $2,000 federal limit on individual donations, this claim is obviously false. To back it up, he cites the Center for Responsive Politics Web site (opensecrets.org) and an August 2000 article from the New York Times. As opensecrets.org clearly indicates, however, only 52.6 percent of Bush's total $193 million in campaign funds came from individuals. The Times article Moore references actually states that 739 people gave two-thirds of the soft money raised by the Republican Party (which uses its money for "party-building" activities that support all GOP candidates, not just Bush) in the 2000 election cycle as of June of that year. Whether out of malice or laziness, Moore conflates the party's soft money with Bush's campaign funds.

This pattern -- the very sources Moore cites proving him wrong -- continues throughout the book.

In a discussion of Pentagon spending, he refers to the "$250 billion the Pentagon plans to spend in 2001 to build 2800 new Joint Strike Fighter planes" and states that "the proposed increase in monies for the Pentagon over the next four years is $1.6 trillion." To back this up, he refers to the Web site of the peace activist group Council for a Livable World. CLW's own analysis of the 2001 budget, however, shows that $250 billion is the total multiyear cost of the Joint Strike Fighter program, not the amount spent in one year. $1.6 trillion, meanwhile, was the total amount of money requested by the Pentagon at the time for 2001-2005. It covers five years, not four, and is a total budget request, not a "proposed increase" over previously requested budget levels. It shouldn't even take this much research, however, to determine that out of the total defense budget request of $305.4 billion in 2001, $250 billion was never intended to go toward one type of plane, nor that an increase of $400 billion per year in military spending was never proposed.

Most baffling of Moore's misstatements may come in a listing of categories that the U.S. tops, such as per capita energy use and births to teenagers. In a blatant misrepresentation, he states: "We're number one in budget deficit (as a percentage of GDP)." When Moore wrote his book last year, the United States was running a budget surplus, as it had for the previous three years.

Just how did Moore get so many of his facts wrong? Lazy cribbing from media outlets and the Internet seems the most likely culprit, as evidenced by a four-page list of allegedly dubious policy accomplishments by President Bush, including cutting funds from libraries and appointing former business executives to regulatory posts. All but one of the 48 accusations appear in the same order and with very similar phrasing to a list that has been printed this winter (but before Moore's book came out) on liberal Web sites and, according to Dr. David A. Sprintzen (often wrongly cited, though not by Moore, as its author), was circulating via e-mail last summer. Belying a lack of original research, Moore even apes many of the negative characterizations of individuals, calling judicial appointee Terrence Boyle a "civil rights opponent," for example (the list refers to him as a "foe of civil rights"), with absolutely no context for why exactly Boyle deserves that moniker (one certainly has to wonder whether Moore himself knows).

Curiously, Moore cites no source for this list. He only notes that readers "can keep track of what Bush did and does during his administration" by reading Molly Ivins' syndicated column and the Web sites smirkingchimp.com and bushwatch.com. The latter two did print the list, but not until this winter, well after Moore wrote his book, though before it was published.

Just as worrisome as Moore's frequent mistakes is the distorted manner in which he presents some of his claims that have a factual basis. Consider, for example, this critique of Bill Clinton.

"[H]e has been able to kick ten million people off welfare," he writes in a list of attacks on the former president. While the welfare rolls did drop substantially while Clinton was in office (although the total number as of June 2000 was 8.3 million), many people left voluntarily to take jobs as the economy grew or for other reasons. Far fewer were booted from the rolls by the five-year limits Clinton signed into law in 1996 or by stricter state limits.

Grossly misrepresenting the facts to make Bill Clinton look bad is a pattern in his chapter "Democrats, DOA." Moore also derides Clinton's record on feminism, stating "Clinton learned that by talking a good feminist line, he could arrange it so that not one feminist leader would decry the order he signed in 1999 to deny federal funds to any foreign group that discussed abortion during consultations."

Moore is correct about the law here (although Gloria Feldt of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America did criticize the move). In framing Clinton as having a crafty antiabortion agenda, however, he blatantly ignores that Clinton eliminated the so-called "Mexico City Policy" banning U.S. funding of overseas clinics that perform or promote abortion in 1993 and only reluctantly signed it back into law in 1999 as part of a deal to pay nearly $1 billion in arrears to the United Nations. The funding was then restored in the next year's budget, albeit with concessions to delay its implementation, which Moore also fails to note.

To truly understand how absurdly Moore twists the truth to advance his agenda, consider his description of the economic downturn. After accurately describing the hard times that have hit the country in the past year, he offers this analysis to his readers:

"There is no recession, my friends. No downturn. No hard times. The rich are wallowing in the loot they've accumulated in the past two decades, and now they want to make sure you don't come a-lookin' for your piece of the pie."

Forget about overinvestment during the tech boom, a sharp drop in business spending or even the simple facts of the business cycle. Michael Moore has the real answer: "[The rich have] decided to perform a preemptive strike in the hope that you'll never even think of eyeing their piles of cash." Not content to simply berate the wealthy for their disproportionate advances in income and wealth during the '90s boom, Moore takes his aggressive jargon to extremes by concocting a conspiracy in which the elite simply created a downturn that he claims doesn't really exist. This isn't satire, it's paranoid propaganda.

For the bestselling nonfiction book in the country, "Stupid White Men" has received remarkably little scrutiny and few serious reviews. Moore is much beloved in Britain, and a review on a BBC show called his book "fantastic" with "loads of research." Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have read much of it -- though the thousands of people who have bought his book surely don't know that.

[Email this to a friend]     [Subscribe to our email list]

Home | Columns | Posts | Topics | Email list | About | Search

This website is copyright (c) 2001-2002 by Ben Fritz, Bryan Keefer and Brendan Nyhan. Please send letters to the editor for publication to letters@spinsanity.org and private questions or comments to feedback@spinsanity.org.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2003, 01:37:21 PM »
great documentary.

we went wit tha whole senior classes to the movie. we rent a cinema for that. great anti-americanism  ;D

Why is your school brainwashing you with "doumentaries" like that?

Because I said so
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Woodrow

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2003, 06:21:16 PM »
If you think BFC was a great film, perhaps you should get to know Moore and his filmmaking techniques a little better:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/1209/059.html

http://www.galun.com/misc/seasonal/2002/12/17-Moore.html

http://www.whatever-dude.com/posts/327.shtml

http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20021119.html

This pic really dosen't have anything to do with the topic above, but it makes me laugh:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 06:22:36 PM by Engel-Rock AKA Dances With Bitch »

TheSheriff

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2003, 09:12:43 AM »
Everything Michael Moore does is full of lies and half truths. Seriously man, don't be such a sheep.

Nice article. But...

1) Sloppy research is different to doublespeak.

2) This "concocted conspiracy"; well, the WMF, IntBank, the National Reserve, and Alan Greenspan (the last off the record) have all said there have been 100s of VERY unusual actions in this respect in recent years, these facts all supporting Moore's theory. I'm truly surprised MM didn't use these respected voices.

3) Please prove these facts, all admitted by the Clinton and Bush administrations, wrong:

44 million adult americans are functionally illterate; that is, they cannot read beyond a 4th grade level.

67 % of welfare recipients are children.

(this one has not been admitted by the government, but by the city mayor and the state governor) Only three African countries have a lower mortality rate than Detroit

The only American state capital without a Mickey D's is Montpelier, Vermont; it is estimated by the government, during Clinton's administration, that around 50% of non-graduate Americans worked in the fast food industry. The other 50% was used up in the primary and partial secondary industries, and gas stations, etc-unskilled tertiary industries.

(this is from the NRA and the government, though more the NRA) There are about 250 million guns in America; one for EVERY person in the country. When one of these guns is used in self-defence, only 2 percent of the time, when the bullets hit, do they hit the intruder. 98 percent of the time, they either shoot the user or a loved one, or are used BY the intruder. 500k guns are stolen every year; these guns, the vast majority of the time, end up in minority neighbourhoods. Have you ever seen a gun factory in Compton?

Damon X from ATL

• 'G'
  • The Black Man is God (Divine Asiatic God Allah)
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2003, 04:00:52 PM »

44 million adult americans are functionally illterate

Judging from your text, you are probably not Amerikkkan, but I'll take a guess that you are a Caucasian male from England or some European nation, but like you tried to get at me in another thread that I must be part of the 44 million illiterates in Amerikkka. I have to say this: IN THE PAST FEW MINUTES, I SEE THAT YOU MUST BE PART OF UNTOLD MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WHO CANNOT SPELL PAST THE 5TH GRADE. HERE, IN CASE YOU NEED HELP FOR THE SECOND TIME THIS IS HOW YOU SPELL THE WORD THAT MEANS  "THOSE WHO ARE UNABLE TO READ OR WRITE"

I-L-L-I-T-E-R-A-T-E

This word also means "showing a lack  of education; not cultured: illiterate spelling.   ;)
www.abvdlaw.com
Official Website of Above The Law

Agua

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2003, 04:03:12 PM »
the black man is god..... uhm.... nation of gods and earth?
welcome allah.

TheSheriff

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2003, 04:29:42 PM »
Damon X-Investigate concept: typos.

Go back to your corner and your little dunce cap, you're embarassing yourself.

Damon X from ATL

• 'G'
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2003, 04:35:13 PM »
Damon X-Investigate concept: typos.

Go back to your corner and your little dunce cap, you're embarassing yourself.

How is that when I know how to spell a word that is taught in grade school? Your responses still proves that A. You're corny and B. you still can't spell.

End it Owen, the FACT was proven. Live with it and consult a dictionary in the future.
www.abvdlaw.com

TheSheriff

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2003, 04:44:20 PM »
How is that when I know how to spell a word that is taught in grade school? Your responses still proves that A. You're corny and B. you still can't spell.

End it Owen, the FACT was proven. Live with it and consult a dictionary in the future.

Corny? My dear friend, you're the one coming out with hackneyed clichés like "The Black Man Is God".

I can't spell? You obviously refuse to read posts that disprove what you said.

Damon X from ATL

• 'G'
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2003, 04:48:32 PM »

Corny? My dear friend, you're the one coming out with hackneyed clichés like "The Black Man Is God".

I can't spell? You obviously refuse to read posts that disprove what you said.

Okay Owen, whatever you say.  ::)
www.abvdlaw.com

TheSheriff

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2003, 04:53:34 PM »

I've now demonstrated your ignorance on two threads over the basic facts of internet life, and I can only imagine that you are now sitting in the corner crying-again.

Damon X from ATL

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2003, 04:57:11 PM »

I've now demonstrated your ignorance on two threads over the basic facts of internet life, and I can only imagine that you are now sitting in the corner crying-again.

Again, whatever you say Spelling Bee Champ!  ::)
www.abvdlaw.com

TheSheriff

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2003, 04:59:12 PM »

Funnily enough, I did win my 5th Grade Georgia Spelling Bee. As you're from ATL (as, indeed, am I, though I was born in SAV), and claim to be able to spell better than me, I wonder why I won? Is it because it's all a white conspiracy to stop blacks winning spelling bees, and therefore becoming president?

Damon X from ATL

• 'G'
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2003, 05:31:17 PM »

Funnily enough, I did win my 5th Grade Georgia Spelling Bee. As you're from ATL (as, indeed, am I, though I was born in SAV), and claim to be able to spell better than me, I wonder why I won? Is it because it's all a white conspiracy to stop blacks winning spelling bees, and therefore becoming president?

No, the conspiracy is that you actually think you are intelligent and can challenge and debate against someone like me or others you feel are inferior to your intelligence.

The fact is "ATL" does not denote the city in Atlanta, Sherlock. It means "A"bove "T"he "L"aw (a rap group from the westcoast).

Not only are you ignorant when it comes to politics, but you are in a west-coast based rap forum and couldn't figure that out.

Damn, I guess there is someone on this forum just as ignorant as Scott Shepard. "Damn country bamas."

I guess it is possible. Someone can post over 2,200 threads/replies and still be a fuckin' dummy 2,200 times over.
www.abvdlaw.com