Author Topic: The Irony of David Blake Jr.  (Read 929 times)

MOBNigga06

The Irony of David Blake Jr.
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
Listening to verses available from David Blake Jr., I realized why fans are not feeling Quik's attempt to promote his son. All that Jr. raps about is how it's his time to shine, how he works hard at music, how people hate on him, etc - his verses are filled with generic nonsense that have no relation to a person's lived experience.

How did Quik make his name in the rap game? By rapping about real shit and about his life. He even said in interviews that he used to want to be only a producer, but the rappers he was producing for weren't saying anything believable, so he picked up the mic and rapped about things that actually happened to him. Quik is the Name is full of autobiographical detail, and you can tell that every subsequent album is autobiographical, sometimes Quik just doesn't mention details.

Of course David Blake Jr. doesn't rap about his life because what could he rap about? His album would have tracks with titles like "I grew up rich," "I play basketball," "I'm popular in high school."  

Quik needs to teach his son to rap about some real shit, put some game into his lyrics, and then people might like him. But rapping about how you're going to be a famous rapper is just retarded, and that's the theme of all of Jr.'s verses. How can someone grow up in the presence of Quik (and presumably people like Suga Free) and have no game whatsoever?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:14:25 PM by MOBNigga06 »
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Jimmy H.

Re: The Irony of David Blake Jr.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:56:21 PM »
These rapper's kids really need to downplay the links to their dads.  It only invokes a negative stigma in the public perception and puts them in shoes way too big to fill.  They'd be better off coming into the game with their own identities and waiting until an audience embraces them for them before they play up the relation to their parents.  Just a thought.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »
I was so traumatized by how horrible Ice Cube's sons were - I don't ever want to hear another rappers kids.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:46:34 PM »
Cory Gunz might be the only dope son of an established rapper lol but even his projects aren't that great but he can definitely spit

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:57:53 PM »
I agree but it's not only about the lyrics, do we wanna talk about his flow or his voice?
He has no game, no chance..

doggfather

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:36:39 AM »
I was so traumatized by how horrible Ice Cube's sons were - I don't ever want to hear another rappers kids.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Eddz

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:43 AM »
Cory Gunz might be the only dope son of an established rapper lol but even his projects aren't that great but he can definitely spit

Big Pun's son Chris Rivers is the best rappers son  8)

FUCK-YOU-BItch

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:52:31 AM »

yeah, props for bringing him up it´s been a minute that i heard one of his freestyles or tracks.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:24:20 AM »
Yeah, the voice and flow are horrible too. To my ears he sounds like he's biting Nicki Minaj. That ain't a good look for a MAN.

Quik is delusional thinking that young people are going to get into his son. Fans nowadays like a rapper in part for his music and in part for his personality and his movement. What kinda movement could the son of a rapper have? Nobody can identify with that - nobody can respect the work of a man who never had to grind.

The only chance of Jr. blowing up is if Quik produces a pop song for him along the lines of DJ Mustard's music and the beat catches on with the young crowd. But the likelihood of Quik making successful pop music in 2014 seems low. 
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:33:45 AM »
Nepotism doesn't go down too well in the rap game.

I think you're right about Quik rapping about what he knew, his son should do the same and drop an album called "2nd generation rich kid" where he can craft songs about the harsh realities of life in the hood for the first 2 verses and then lace the last one like "But I ain't live like that, that ain't my life for real. I'm a 2nd generation rich kid, how I know how poverty feel?" whilst talking about having butlers, silver spoons and trust funds n stuff and how the preceding verses were just lies for mass appeal.

The rich whiteboy crowd would eat it up. I can just imagine the track listing:

My Time To Shine (I Worx Hard Remix)
2 Rich 4 Real
They Hate Me (Cos I Ain't He)
Grey Poupon (Is The Shit I'm On)
Faker Than Your Average
Trust Fund Blues
My Butler Is A Bitch
We Wanna Be Like Them ft Realest, Top Dogg and Guerilla Black
The Price Of Fame ft. Expensive Guest Features (who did it strictly for a cheque)

At least it would be "real" and might just bring something new to a game so stale and recycled that old bread thats been turned to older breadcrumbs is fresher. Can you imagine the intro? "You are now about to witness the strength of Ivy League knowledge"

Blood$

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:47:45 AM »

Chris Rivers is aiight, haven't heard a song of his own that's grabbed me

papa-smurf

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
I cant judge quik son because im a oldier guy.Im 29 & i dont listen to new young artist. i only listen to rappers i gew up on.kendrick lamar & yg is the only new artist i listened to but quik son should be ok with quik direction.he might not appeal to quik fans but hopefully the youngsters like him

papa-smurf

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »

I think you're right about Quik rapping about what he knew, his son should do the same and drop an album called "2nd generation rich kid" where he can craft songs about the harsh realities of life in the hood for the first 2 verses and then lace the last one like "But I ain't live like that, that ain't my life for real. I'm a 2nd generation rich kid, how I know how poverty feel?" whilst talking about having butlers, silver spoons and trust funds n stuff and how the preceding verses were just lies for mass appeal.

2 Rich 4 Real
Faker Than Your Average
Trust Fund Blues
My Butler Is A Bitch
The Price Of Fame ft. Expensive Guest Features (who did it strictly for a cheque)

At least it would be "real" and might just bring something new to a game so stale and recycled that old bread thats been turned to older breadcrumbs is fresher. Can you imagine the intro? "You are now about to witness the strength of Ivy League knowledge"

Dope idea.

Funkstradamus

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »

ain't nobody fucking with the Young Giantz...  they are hands down the best sons of a rapper (Playa Hamm)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 10:20:45 PM »

2 Rich 4 Real
Faker Than Your Average
Trust Fund Blues
My Butler Is A Bitch

I don't think it even runs that deep to where people care that much anymore.  We all know it's entertainment but the key is to entertain people.  The problem with launching people by having someone credible stand next to them is the moment that credible person walks away, we don't want to look at the other guy anymore. How much does the buying public want to hear Hittman, Stat Quo, or these other guys and how much of it is they want to hear what Dr. Dre is working on?