Author Topic: A Little About the Three REAL R U Still Down? Albums  (Read 282 times)

aerroc

A Little About the Three REAL R U Still Down? Albums
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:07 PM »
posted by @Jimmy_Bonez

I thought I would try bring a little of this to light because there seems to be some confusion between the last two versions of the album...

R U Still Down? (1994)
This one was in production around the same time as Thug Life, from Late 1993 to 1994. The rest is common knowledge he had to change the album due to Ready 2 Die, he recorded some new songs, and others had to be refurbished for the album.
This one had a few titles, both before and after R U Still Down; Fragile, Out on Bail, Stay True, Nothing 2 Lose and finally Me Against the World.

2Pac had a DAT made up of unused songs from the project, with the intent on releasing them especially when Deathrow offered to do it for him.
Thug Life wasn't supposed to appear to the album too much, because it was intended as a solo 2Pac album.

Songs:
Dear Mama
Death Around the Corner
Fuck the World
Hard on a Nigga
HellRazor
High Till I Die (Tony Pizarro Version)
Hold on Be Strong
Lord Knows
My Only Fear of Death
R U Still Down? (Shock G Version)
Runnin From the Police (Moved to Thug Life Vol. 1)
Str8 Ballin' (Moved to Thug Life Vol. 1)
Temptations
Thugz Get Lonely Too

R U Still Down? (Aka. "Album IV") (1995)
This album was never started, likely due to 2Pac apparently having issues getting his original songs back from Interscope. It is written on both versions of his contract, another notes "recordings to be remixed by Dr Dre, to feature appearances from Snoop Doggy Dogg".
The "Pre-DR DAT" were, at least partially, the songs he wanted on the album. Songs like Wonda Why They Call U Bitch, When I Get Free & Suka 4 Love were moved to the Euthanasia project (aka. All Eyez on Me) in September 1995, before he got out of Jail.
High Till I Die and Hard on a Nigga were later also moved to other projects, a while after he was released.

Once he was released the album was pushed back from his first release on Deathrow to the second, following All Eyez on Me, the idea of having Dr Dre remix old tracks was scrapped for the idea of recording new songs.

Are U Still Down? (Aka. MATW II) (1996)
This album was recorded, it may have not been finished but it was a concept in the works. In an interview 2Pac described it as a follow up to Me Against the World he mentioned he did a "remix of Whatz Ya Phone #? With all new lyrics that was based on a Mc Lyte song".

Johnny J also stated that Are U Still Down was a 2Pac song that was given Jon B after he died, it was intended for a "RnB styled" album under the title of Are U Still Down, implying it was the title track.

Most of the songs are from around Feburary 1996 (give or take), just after the release of All Eyez on Me.

Songs:
Are U Still Down? W/ Jon B
Changed Man
Never Had a Friend Like Me
Unconditional Love
What'z Ya Phone #? II (aka Thug N Me, Thug N U)
When Thugz Cry (First Take) *This was rerecorded for Killuminati
When We Ride on Our Enemies
Words to My First Born

Hack Wilson - real

Re: A Little About the Three REAL R U Still Down? Albums
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »
i wish this had dropped    woulda blown illmatic and ready to die out the water