Author Topic: DJ Quik - The Midnight Life (Discussion Thread)  (Read 7377 times)

MOBNigga06

Re: DJ Quik - The Midnight Life (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »
Is Quik dissing AMG on "The Conduct"?  There's a line at the end talking about people bragging they're "Ballin Outta Control" but then work at a train station and have to reapply for their job every year.  I know AMG's album was titled "Ballin Outta Control", so I thought it might have been a jab at him.

Quik disses lots of people on this album in those kinds of lines. Like in That Niggaz Krazy he says:

I'm the star, you can only be a co-star here
That should be cool, considering that you weren't shit last year

There's lots of people this line could be dissing: AMG, 2nd II None, Gift Reynolds, Jon B…

Quik enjoys resurrecting old people and discovering new people and helping them…but he is then very sensitive to ingratitude, clearly.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »
I think setting and method of delivery for this album is going to make the experience better or worse.

- When I first gave the album a listen though my macbook speakers in my dreary Seattle house where I was distracted, it didn't really impress me that much.

- This afternoon, I'm at my moms palatial house in sunny CA, knocking the album through an amazing Onkyo system and chilling on my back porch, working on my tan off a couple phenergan and codeine pills. The listening experience this time is amazing. The physical pleasure of the warm sun and drugs mixed with the top notch mixing and mastering work that is any DJ Quik record has resulted in pure chill and appreciation.

- TL;DR - Don't listen too hard, relax and do something that you enjoy and this album will be amazing.

bigpimpin20

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2014, 04:48:27 AM »
Wow..several DJ Quik interviews yesterday...some new info..let's go..

1 - ON 93.5 KDAY Takeover Quik said Battlecat was present when he made Born In Raised in Compton track.

2 - ON Complex Mag..Quik said he had a little "issue" with Pharrell in the past..because of "Get Nekkid" (Mausberg Song) portion used in Nelly "Hot In Herre"

3 - QUIK SAID HIS NEXT ALBUM, THE 10TH ALBUM WILL BE CALLED "THE MORNING AFTER"(complex mag)

4 - In Bullseye show,(find this on SoundCloud) Quik said he tours always with a hairdresser.

5 - On the same show, he spoke about the "ALL EYEZ ON ME BOOTLEG" incident..Donzelly stole and put the demo in the streets, Quik after was put to the test, with a gun in his chest...

6 - On Top14 Favorites rappers, he put AMG in the list...and said "AMG inspired Biggie".

Is It Quik..always some good new stories!!!
thats very dope interview 8) http://maximumfun.org/bullseye/bullseye-jesse-thorn-dj-quik

westside159

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2014, 03:31:45 AM »
BEST SONG ON The Midnight Life = PUFFIN THE DRAGON  8) 8) - This song is dope i can't front , the beat is saucy and dope and the lyrics are dope on this track Vintage DJ Quik . To bad the rest of the songs are weak or average .

1. Puffin The Dragon = Dope
The rest is either average or weak .

Matty

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
BEST SONG ON The Midnight Life = PUFFIN THE DRAGON  8) 8) - This song is dope i can't front , the beat is saucy and dope and the lyrics are dope on this track Vintage DJ Quik . To bad the rest of the songs are weak or average .

1. Puffin The Dragon = Dope
The rest is either average or weak .

it's a close call between this one, pet semetary and fuck all night for me. starting to enjoy some of the other tracks more too 8)

Matty

« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2014, 04:31:35 PM »
you guys still got this in rotation? cause i certainly have...but i messed with the ordering and removed some tracks...

back that shit up
els interlude
puffin the dragon
pet semetary (can anyone explain the meaning of the spelling error?)
life jacket
that getter
the conduct
shine
broken down
fuck all night
quiks groove 9
bacons groove (optional)
whyd you have to lie (optional)

this is pretty much how i'm listening to it, nothing breaks up the flow except for maybe shine, that'd be the only other one i'd take off but i do appreciate the beat. so a good amount of dope music. i stand by the ones i said as the strongest, only 'the conduct' and 'back that shit up has crept up a bit in my opinion. the conduct is a crazy one but it does work really well, insane bass, just a shame some of the sounds are kinda in the background. but it is an insane mix, very futuristic. 'back that shit up' is just perfect for the type of track..it gets real good at like 2:05 where the funky sounds are getting more hectic and then the beat switches up for the last verse.

westside159

« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »
Some good tracks and some really wack shit. Surprised on some of the tracks. I don't know what Quik was thinking but this album is levels below his standards.

You said everything right except for the some good tracks part , this album is not very good at all . DJ Quik's worst album so far , his last 3 or 4 albums have been average to borderline wack . Quik is not the same with the beats and the funky grooves like in the 1990's . To tell the truth his last vintage Quik album was Rhtym al Lism , Balance & Options had some good songs on it but it wasn't very good . And everything after Balance & Options has been weak . Some ok songs on some of the newer Quik albums but nothing special .

WestWestYA

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2014, 06:20:39 AM »
Some good tracks and some really wack shit. Surprised on some of the tracks. I don't know what Quik was thinking but this album is levels below his standards.

You said everything right except for the some good tracks part , this album is not very good at all . DJ Quik's worst album so far , his last 3 or 4 albums have been average to borderline wack . Quik is not the same with the beats and the funky grooves like in the 1990's . To tell the truth his last vintage Quik album was Rhtym al Lism , Balance & Options had some good songs on it but it wasn't very good . And everything after Balance & Options has been weak . Some ok songs on some of the newer Quik albums but nothing special .
K

Matty

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2014, 06:49:34 PM »

K

Balance & Options is a classic to my ears.

So yeah something other people mentioned which is a positive on this - Quik is back with some super funked out sounds, the funkiest we've heard in a while. That's why I was so dissapointed we didn't get the 'Fresher Than Me' before cause that was sounding mighty funky too. mainly its 'The Conduct' & 'Broken Down' for the funk, one on some futuristic zapp ish and the other a simple, crisp piano laced groove. potentially we could throw 'back that shit up' in there for its wild synth and 'fuck all night' for a more signature bassline.

the other thing was his vocals which also was mentioned before...his voice is sounding clearer and higher in parts, more like a younger quik. in the hook of 'puffin the dragon' you can really hear that old vocal tone.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:03:34 PM by Matty »

westside159

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »

You get it .

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2014, 01:57:33 AM »
this albums dope, still bumpin it

Sccit

« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2014, 02:15:11 AM »
gave this a spin last night after T.I.'s album and was pretty surprised by how good it was based off the comments on here

I'll be buying this whenever I see it in stores

thats what happens when you read a will review...he was the main one trashing the album in the first couple pages. nothing seems to impress mi bloc nowadays. a lot of people simply don't understand that music is situational. you cant critique it scientifically, like some people here be doin. it's a good album, bottom line. classic quik sound mixed with some new shit and a couple experimental tracks, as usual. shit goes.

Sccit

« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2014, 02:36:12 AM »
What B.A. said on "That N Crazy" I think is the truth, it's the same for me.. El was there, ok we've got this finished track (please go listen to the live version without El, it's so much better), he started to "freestyle" some "ohhh crazyy.. crazy crazy".. bam, that's it.
I like El DeBarge, but he ruined a GREAT song.. probably my favorite from the album.

Quik clearly made them songs you said as a gift for his son.. I hate "Trapped" and "Shine", but to me "That Getter" is fine until DBII arrives.. Quik's verse is one of best from the album.

thats not el debarge

WestWestYA

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2014, 06:58:42 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/adV_RaeayRc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/adV_RaeayRc</a>