Author Topic: Kurupt's Music from Against Tha Grain Era  (Read 3101 times)

Okka

Re: Kurupt's Music from Against Tha Grain Era
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
I didn't remember that the DPG Recordz version of "Against Tha Grain" had so many songs from other albums.

http://www.discogs.com/Kurupt-Against-The-Grain/release/4461370

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
I remember kurupt was supposed to do an album that was gonna be on the level of dogg food just before he went back to death row.....
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »
To this day, I still have no idea why Kurupt and Dre never did an album together. I think this is what Kurupt needed. He needed some structure. Kurupt needed someone to tell him "say it like this", "write it like this", "change your delivery like this" etc etc. A Kurupt album, produced by Dre would have been classic.

Well.. if your looking for that then just listen to the Dogg Food album.  Dre was around for that album, I think he mixed damn near every track, so we know it was up to Dre's standard of approval. 

Because I totally agree.  Kurupt is far from a perfectionist.  He was even on Rap City back in the 90's saying that he would argue with Daz because Daz would keep wanting to go back in and change stuff and Kurupt would be like "man, just drop that shit it's dope".   Kurupt gets sloppy much too easy. 

He got to be the CEO when he made the Kuruption album, and he had the attention of the music world at the time and yet he just rushed out some shit.  It made it look cheap that later he had to go back and add the Warren G track and "Questions" without it being written on the album.  Like someone else said, the album had its highlights but it definitely had its lowlights and with a little bit of tweaking some of the average tracks could've been bangers.

On Streetz Is A Mutha he made a bit of a comeback and came with a more polished album.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
To this day, I still have no idea why Kurupt and Dre never did an album together. I think this is what Kurupt needed. He needed some structure. Kurupt needed someone to tell him "say it like this", "write it like this", "change your delivery like this" etc etc. A Kurupt album, produced by Dre would have been classic.

Well.. if your looking for that then just listen to the Dogg Food album.  Dre was around for that album, I think he mixed damn near every track, so we know it was up to Dre's standard of approval. 

Because I totally agree.  Kurupt is far from a perfectionist.  He was even on Rap City back in the 90's saying that he would argue with Daz because Daz would keep wanting to go back in and change stuff and Kurupt would be like "man, just drop that shit it's dope".   Kurupt gets sloppy much too easy. 

He got to be the CEO when he made the Kuruption album, and he had the attention of the music world at the time and yet he just rushed out some shit.  It made it look cheap that later he had to go back and add the Warren G track and "Questions" without it being written on the album.  Like someone else said, the album had its highlights but it definitely had its lowlights and with a little bit of tweaking some of the average tracks could've been bangers.

On Streetz Is A Mutha he made a bit of a comeback and came with a more polished album.

Kurupt got in the habit of freestyling a lot of his verses...and thinking they were dope

even on "Streetz" you could tell that it wasn't the old Kurupt on most tracks...the album is carried by the production and guest spots like Crooked I, Roscoe, Xzibit etc.

he did murder "Trylogy" though 8)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 07:21:08 PM »

Kurupt got in the habit of freestyling a lot of his verses...and thinking they were dope

even on "Streetz" you could tell that it wasn't the old Kurupt on most tracks...the album is carried by the production and guest spots like Crooked I, Roscoe, Xzibit etc.

That's right, Streetz is a Mutha had better production and guest appearances than Kuruption, because the West Coast was re-emerging and becoming FAM again.... But also Kurupt wasn't pussy-whipped by Foxy Brown and trying to play Mr. CEO anymore so he was coming a bit harder
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »

Well.. if your looking for that then just listen to the Dogg Food album.  Dre was around for that album, I think he mixed damn near every track, so we know it was up to Dre's standard of approval.  

Because I totally agree.  Kurupt is far from a perfectionist.  He was even on Rap City back in the 90's saying that he would argue with Daz because Daz would keep wanting to go back in and change stuff and Kurupt would be like "man, just drop that shit it's dope".   Kurupt gets sloppy much too easy.  

He got to be the CEO when he made the Kuruption album, and he had the attention of the music world at the time and yet he just rushed out some shit.  It made it look cheap that later he had to go back and add the Warren G track and "Questions" without it being written on the album.  Like someone else said, the album had its highlights but it definitely had its lowlights and with a little bit of tweaking some of the average tracks could've been bangers.

Dre did mix it but he didn't dedicate his whole time to it. Even though Dogg Food is a classic, you can tell the difference when you hear the Chronic and Doggystyle, compared to DF. There was still time for Dre and Kurupt to get in together though. Kurupt's Solo debut should have been produced entirely by Dre.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Blood$

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 11:13:14 PM »

real spit

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »

Well.. if your looking for that then just listen to the Dogg Food album.  Dre was around for that album, I think he mixed damn near every track, so we know it was up to Dre's standard of approval.  

Because I totally agree.  Kurupt is far from a perfectionist.  He was even on Rap City back in the 90's saying that he would argue with Daz because Daz would keep wanting to go back in and change stuff and Kurupt would be like "man, just drop that shit it's dope".   Kurupt gets sloppy much too easy.  

He got to be the CEO when he made the Kuruption album, and he had the attention of the music world at the time and yet he just rushed out some shit.  It made it look cheap that later he had to go back and add the Warren G track and "Questions" without it being written on the album.  Like someone else said, the album had its highlights but it definitely had its lowlights and with a little bit of tweaking some of the average tracks could've been bangers.

That album had better structure but still lacked something. Kurupt was still dope but his style had changed. I didn't mind the change of style at all. Afterall, they were entering a different era but that's around the time when shit started to unravel. Kurupt was never able to put out an album that was consistent from top to bottom. He needed someone to guide him; someone to take full control of the production. He needed more content and more balance overall. More quality, not just quantity.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:24:31 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 11:47:43 PM »
To be fair you're probably expecting too much for a battle rapper to make an album that's *that* much better than Kuruption and Streetz turned out.
If Dre were to be involved, there would be no such thing as expecting too much.

Sccit

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 12:59:20 AM »

Dre did mix it but he didn't dedicate his whole time to it. Even though Dogg Food is a classic, you can tell the difference when you hear the Chronic and Doggystyle, compared to DF. There was still time for Dre and Kurupt to get in together though. Kurupt's Solo debut should have been produced entirely by Dre.

dre ghost-produced a good portion of "dogg food", thats indisputable.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:25 AM »
To be fair you're probably expecting too much for a battle rapper to make an album that's *that* much better than Kuruption and Streetz turned out.
If Dre were to be involved, there would be no such thing as expecting too much.

If Dre were involved, and Kurupt had a solo round 98/99 we'd have probably never had 2001

Kurupt wasn't your ordinary battle rapper though...he was unique in that he had both the east coast hip hop style together with being gangsta...I think by the time he did "Streetz" his style went more gangsta MC than battle MC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »

I think those 2 albums are generally underrated, but still. Kurupt is limited in content in a way I really don't think he could ever have released a 'great' solo album unless it was like Doggystyle. Amazing production and loaded with features

Your exactly right.  And again, like I said, we shouldn't complain because at least we have Dogg Food, which is a Certified Classic.  If you really feel you are missing something in life because Kurupt never dropped a classic solo, then just imagine that Daz was a featured guest artist on Dogg Food (the way Hitman was on most the 2001 tracks or Snoop was on most the Chronic tracks) and bump that shit..   8)

...And also there was some truth to the post about Streetz Is A Mutha being a damn good effort from Kurupt... especially considering he was out of his prime... so bottom line is we shouldn't complain too much that we never had some Dre Produced classic solo Kurupt album, and we should be satisfied with Dogg Food and Streetz Is A Mutha

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »
Yeah end of the day Snoop had a shot and the crown and is still eating off it today. He even trickles some $$ down to his camp in thanks for making him what he became

Yeah... end of the day the West Coast stands on two shoulders, Dr. Dre and Snoop.

We are all diehard fans Kurupt fans so we would've supported Kurupt regardless.  But you have to remember that Snoop was the #1 artist in music at the time that Dogg Food was released.  He had a cameo in "Let's Play House", he did the chorus for "New York, New York", he was all over the album, and the just the name recognition of Snoop Doggy Dogg and the Dogg Pound made all the casual fans run out and by the record.

You don't sell 2 million albums off of die hard fans.  You only sell 2 million off of casual fans, and as much as we love and support Kurupt he has never been the type of rapper to get support from casual fans, for whatever reason.  It's because of Snoop that casual fans bought the Dogg Food album.  Maybe they think his shit is too hard core for their tastes, or maybe he is too much like a homie from around the way to be accepted by pop fans, whatever it is, in spite of being one of the most talented rappers in history he just never had casual fans.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:55:28 AM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2014 »

WestWestYA

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »
like vanilla ice said dre can change shit into gold :banana_dss:

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »

dre ghost-produced a good portion of "dogg food", thats indisputable.
He mixed the album. If that's what you would consider a "ghost production" then yes.