Author Topic: Kurupt's Music from Against Tha Grain Era  (Read 3118 times)

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
Re: Kurupt's Music from Against Tha Grain Era
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
To be fair you're probably expecting too much for a battle rapper to make an album that's *that* much better than Kuruption and Streetz turned out.
If Dre were to be involved, there would be no such thing as expecting too much.

If Dre were involved, and Kurupt had a solo round 98/99 we'd have probably never had 2001

1. I don't think so. Not sure how 1 album would kill 2001. 

2. None of this relates to anything we're talking about.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
To be fair you're probably expecting too much for a battle rapper to make an album that's *that* much better than Kuruption and Streetz turned out.

If Dre were involved, and Kurupt had a solo round 98/99 we'd have probably never had 2001

Kurupt wasn't your ordinary battle rapper though...he was unique in that he had both the east coast hip hop style together with being gangsta...I think by the time he did "Streetz" his style went more gangsta MC than battle MC

I think that's a good way of putting it.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »

1. I don't think so. Not sure how 1 album would kill 2001.  

2. None of this relates to anything we're talking about.

Stop replying then :D

Uhh you replied to me... ???
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:09:02 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »

Sccit

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »
To this day, I still have no idea why Kurupt and Dre never did an album together. I think this is what Kurupt needed. He needed some structure. Kurupt needed someone to tell him "say it like this", "write it like this", "change your delivery like this" etc etc. A Kurupt album, produced by Dre would have been classic.

Well.. if your looking for that then just listen to the Dogg Food album.  Dre was around for that album, I think he mixed damn near every track, so we know it was up to Dre's standard of approval.  

Because I totally agree.  Kurupt is far from a perfectionist.  He was even on Rap City back in the 90's saying that he would argue with Daz because Daz would keep wanting to go back in and change stuff and Kurupt would be like "man, just drop that shit it's dope".   Kurupt gets sloppy much too easy.  

He got to be the CEO when he made the Kuruption album, and he had the attention of the music world at the time and yet he just rushed out some shit.  It made it look cheap that later he had to go back and add the Warren G track and "Questions" without it being written on the album.  Like someone else said, the album had its highlights but it definitely had its lowlights and with a little bit of tweaking some of the average tracks could've been bangers.

On Streetz Is A Mutha he made a bit of a comeback and came with a more polished album.
Dre did mix it but he didn't dedicate his whole time to it. Even though Dogg Food is a classic, you can tell the difference when you hear the Chronic and Doggystyle, compared to DF. There was still time for Dre and Kurupt to get in together though. Kurupt's Solo debut should have been produced entirely by Dre.

dre ghost-produced a good portion of "dogg food", thats indisputable.
He mixed the album. If that's what you would consider a "ghost production" then yes.

naah, it's been known that he ghost-produced a lot of that one...this one is a fact.

Snoop: "Dre produced a lot of that shit ("Dogg Food")! I'm telling you, Daz and them brought Dre beats, and he produced the muthafuckas! "What Would You Do" was just a beat that Daz had did. That "bu-bump, bu-bump", the nigga Dre put all that shit on it, that *sings* What would you do, whaa *sings* just to give it that other shit! I'm telling you what I know man! Niggas gotta give Dre the ultimate respect. Niggas try to bash him and cut his knees down like he didn't do nothing nigga, he's the saviour man! Because what he did was, he showed niggas how to produce. Because niggas was good at making beats, but he showed you niggas how to produce!"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
To this day, I still have no idea why Kurupt and Dre never did an album together. I think this is what Kurupt needed. He needed some structure. Kurupt needed someone to tell him "say it like this", "write it like this", "change your delivery like this" etc etc. A Kurupt album, produced by Dre would have been classic.

Well.. if your looking for that then just listen to the Dogg Food album.  Dre was around for that album, I think he mixed damn near every track, so we know it was up to Dre's standard of approval.  

Because I totally agree.  Kurupt is far from a perfectionist.  He was even on Rap City back in the 90's saying that he would argue with Daz because Daz would keep wanting to go back in and change stuff and Kurupt would be like "man, just drop that shit it's dope".   Kurupt gets sloppy much too easy.  

He got to be the CEO when he made the Kuruption album, and he had the attention of the music world at the time and yet he just rushed out some shit.  It made it look cheap that later he had to go back and add the Warren G track and "Questions" without it being written on the album.  Like someone else said, the album had its highlights but it definitely had its lowlights and with a little bit of tweaking some of the average tracks could've been bangers.

On Streetz Is A Mutha he made a bit of a comeback and came with a more polished album.
Dre did mix it but he didn't dedicate his whole time to it. Even though Dogg Food is a classic, you can tell the difference when you hear the Chronic and Doggystyle, compared to DF. There was still time for Dre and Kurupt to get in together though. Kurupt's Solo debut should have been produced entirely by Dre.

He mixed the album. If that's what you would consider a "ghost production" then yes.

naah, it's been known that he ghost-produced a lot of that one...this one is a fact.

Snoop: "Dre produced a lot of that shit ("Dogg Food")! I'm telling you, Daz and them brought Dre beats, and he produced the muthafuckas! "What Would You Do" was just a beat that Daz had did. That "bu-bump, bu-bump", the nigga Dre put all that shit on it, that *sings* What would you do, whaa *sings* just to give it that other shit! I'm telling you what I know man! Niggas gotta give Dre the ultimate respect. Niggas try to bash him and cut his knees down like he didn't do nothing nigga, he's the saviour man! Because what he did was, he showed niggas how to produce. Because niggas was good at making beats, but he showed you niggas how to produce!"
FUCK smh!!! Not this shit again...

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 05:55:30 PM »

sorry, brobro...but this time around, u simply dont know ur history if u dont know that dre ghost-produced a majority of "dogg food".

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »

sorry, brobro...but this time around, u simply dont know ur history if u dont know that dre ghost-produced a majority of "dogg food".
First of all, this situation is much different than what we were talking about with Kendrick's album. Dr. Dre was way more involved in Dogg Food, just with the simple fact that he mixed the WHOLE album. This still doesn't mean that we need to ignore the specifics in how everyone was involved. Which is why I made that comment above. But after I read you response, I figured it was going to lead to the same shit, therefore I'm not even going to waste my time this time around. Peace!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:20:29 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »

First of all, this situation is much different than what we were talking about with Kendrick's album. Dr. Dre was way more involved in Dogg Food, just with the simple fact that he mixed the WHOLE album. This still doesn't mean that we need to ignore the specifics in how everyone was involved. Which is why I made that comment above. But after I read you response, I figured it was going to lead to the same shit, therefore I'm not even going to waste my time this time around. Peace!

if you search on this forum, you'll see that its well-documented he ghost produced on that one...not only snoop, but michel'le went on record as well saying he did production on it. u dont have to believe me, but it's a common notion, not just some shit im makin up.

Okka

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
What did Michel'le say?

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 08:38:34 AM »
That's hella interesting what Snoop said about the Dogg Food album and about "What Would You Do".   What interview was that?

...Not that I didn't kind of already know.  Dre was in the video for "What Would You Do" and Dre introduced Dogg Pound on the Dogg Food album, and even intro'd the first single "Let's Play House".  His name is on there for mixing tracks, he was biggin up Dogg Pound on The Show documentary.  Bottom line is he had their back in those days and it was clear his fingerprints and stamp of approval was on it, and it was of course a classic.  Then Pac enters the picture and makes a classic with All Eyez On Me and Dre was only on 2-3 tracks and ficcaz at Death Row started getting big heads and thinking they could do it without Dre.  Dre leaves, Pac gets murdered and the ship sinks.  

It kind of shows what type of dude Dre really is that he never really tried to take credit for a lot of that work and let Daz have some shine.

...It was still miraculous what Daz was able to put together on RRAGB.  NOW WHAT WOULD BE REALLY FUCCED UP IS IF SOMETHING COMES OUT SHOWING THAT THOSE WERE OLD BEATS ON RRAGB AND THAT DRE EVEN HAD HIS HAND IN THAT.  It's possible, because tracks like "O.G." are old as fucc and was originally a Snoop joint possibly as far back as Doggystyle!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:43:41 AM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2014 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

WestSideDon

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 05:11:49 AM »
It's obvious Dre had a lot of involvement in the Dogg Food Album. He mixed every track on there and it's also clear that he helped daz with some songs and ghost produced some parts of the album, but Daz involvement was also huge, he sure made some of the beats himself. He just had a "little" help from dre here and there on some songs.
Regarding this fact, it's also idiotic if you think about suges statements a year ago or something about daz producing the whole doggystyle album  ::)
Daz surely is a very, very talented producer who did numerous classic tracks, but Dre is on another level.

bigpimpin20

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 03:20:30 PM »

guess there was some "plans"

bigpimpin20

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
Still one my fav Kurupt album #underated 

01. Speak On It
(additonal vocals : Mark Sparks, Val C)
(produced by : Mark Sparks)

02. Anarchy '87
(produced by : Mark Sparks)
03. Throw Back Muzic '86
(additonal vocals : Mark Sparks)