Author Topic: 363 days since Nima last posted here  (Read 6148 times)

Will_B

Re: 363 days since Nima last posted here
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2014, 01:36:36 AM »
ok suggestion 1: Fully integrate the main page and the forum.

This is done seamlessly at popular news and forum site macrumors.com. It really works to get people reading more news stories, seeing topics are popular, and getting them to feedback/join the forum and thus create more interest in the site. More clicks. Ad revenue comes in for both.

Each news story ends with a comments link:

The link takes you to the news stories forum thread, where people can read comments, join in, sign up etc. This thread is automatically created by a forum bot when the new story is published. very simple.

All the news story threads are collected in a 'News Discussion' section of the forum. Users can browse this way if they're not keeping up with the main page. Every comment is added to the count on the main news site, and generates interest in the news item and the forum. its a win win.
[
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:45:25 AM by Do Buy Albums »

Don Seer

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »
there is potential for that as the forum will be in the same server as dubcnn post migrate - meaning it can use the database (first of which is the vault upgrade thats been mentioned)

good idea for another phase on the dubcnn side :)
(i like it because i possibly won't have to do too much!)

Will_B

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2014, 05:10:31 AM »
Thoughts on forum sections

Dubcnn.com
 • Dubcnn.com News Discussion (every new news story gets a thread)
 • Feedback (site suggestions/submissions)

The Connection
 • Classic West Coast 1980s - 1990s
  - Albums/Artists (general discussion)
  - Archive (classic interviews/mag scans, youtubes)
  - Audio Rarities (bootlegs, vinyl, radio drops etc)
  - New Leaks (50 posts unlocks, I see you Petey)

• Modern West Coast 2000s - Present
 - Albums/Artists
  example thread: New Artist Showcase [sticky]
  example thread: New Albums (master thread: Anticipation/Discussion) [sticky]
 - New Music (audio/video/mixtapes/freestyles etc)

Outbound Connection
• Non West Coast Rap
  - Albums/Artists (all discussion/interviews/articles)
  - Outbound Media (audio/video/scans etc)

• The Vault

• Hookup Spot (general audio requests/hookup)

• The Lab/Elements (self promotion/collabs/beats/keystyles)

• Collectors (show your collections)
 - General collectors talk
  example thread: What Albums Did You Buy [sticky]
 - Swap meet (classifieds/trades/eBay links)

• Other Genres (non rap music discussion)

Non music (call whatever)
 • The VIP Lounge
  - Entertainment & Gaming (movies/p/games)
  - Sports
  - Lifestyle/Anything Goes (the new G-Spot)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:57:14 AM by Do Buy Albums »

Matty

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2014, 05:47:16 AM »
give non rap music it's own forum.

Will_B

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2014, 05:59:33 AM »
give non rap music it's own forum.

Revised it homie

Don Seer

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2014, 06:44:16 AM »
if i'm reading that correctly thats way too many sections??

we want to merge inactive ones and the only new one would be the west coast classics

there are sub-forums here where there have only been a handful of posts this year
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:57:16 AM by Don Seer »

Will_B

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2014, 07:51:18 AM »
if i'm reading that correctly thats way too many sections??

we want to merge inactive ones and the only new one would be the west coast classics

there are sub-forums here where there have only been a handful of posts this year

Well to be fair that's because the forum traffics so low?

Don Seer

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
yup.

but you don't fix it by making sections, you compress the dead to follow the trend. the forum once had 3 forums in 3 sections front page.
we need to get what exists running at over capacity before any making of new sections can happen (again)

not having empty/ inactive sections is something i've always believed in, and not sure if NIK posted it here, or in our emails back n forth but he said exactly the same.

Don Seer

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2014, 09:18:56 AM »
note: forum also needs a favico as its broken ( although i think being on the dubcnn server it might end up being that one..)

Sccit

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
a lot of the ideas in here seem on point, but like seer said, the forum needs contraction, not expansion. we can expand again once it picks back up, but for now, we need to cut down on the excess of sections and go from there...dax (black male) had some really good ideas too. but the main focus right now should be merging/eliminating dead sections.

Will_B

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
a lot of the ideas in here seem on point, but like seer said, the forum needs contraction, not expansion. we can expand again once it picks back up, but for now, we need to cut down on the excess of sections and go from there...dax (black male) had some really good ideas too. but the main focus right now should be merging/eliminating dead sections.

I disagree. I'm suggesting sections based on what people actually still post about

If the forum gets scaled down any more it'll barely exist. I see nothing wrong with quiet sections. So what if no one goes to dubcc to talk about video games. It's just shit to *encourage* different topics.

If they improve the main site like I suggested, both will grow. Otherwise I can't help you guys ;)

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
My main suggestion would be to completely disregard all of will b's ideas. Dubcc is the only forum besides da sauce ive ever posted on and it taught me how to download shit without limewire and those kinda sites. In the golden age of internet piracy i had evrything and none of my friends understood how. Between that and all the classic shit thats gone on here dubcc will always have a place in my e-heart but at the samet time things change and nothing lasts forever. With the way the internet goes now forums just seem outdated. Sure theres websites like the coli and siccness but theyre just full of fags and no classic events happen that im aware of. I mean seers only ideas are to merge sections that should have happened 5 years ago, thats not gona bring in any new activty

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Don Seer

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
I agree with a lot of that.. And fwiw I'm still using soulseek to get some rarer stuff!

I think there might be a mini resurgence if the nwa movie does well - I suspect some nostalgic heads and some newcomers will find this place.

Also, I suspect that all the artists involved will have projects that could drop off the back of that. It only takes a few things to line up for a comeback or for anybody else out there, known or unknown to change the game again.

Sounds like the nwa thing bleeds into early death row too with there being suge and snoop actors too

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »
sports section needs to be a major section

Don Seer

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »
sports section needs to be a major section

Peep main page 8)