Author Topic: Where is the line drawn before old and new west coast?  (Read 754 times)

Don Seer

Where is the line drawn before old and new west coast?
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:27:42 AM »
as is being discussed here http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=313628.50  :o

with the coming changes to the forum there will be a split with a "West Coast Classics" section complementing the main "West Coast Connection". the purpose is to let those who prefer the older stuff to fill their boots and keep discussion of new material in the West Coast Connection area.

but where should the dividing line be? do we go strictly back to pre aftermath? (ruthless/death row) or do we draw the line after The Documentary? whatcha think?

i definitely think that any discussion of "lost tapes" type stuff, like the wideawake stuff belongs under classics rather than new

maybe we do it by artist, and someone like crooked i and the game are 'new' because their first release is post Dre's 2001..
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:12:44 AM by Don Seer »

aerroc

Re: Where is the line drawn before old and new west coast?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:34:46 AM »
as is being discussed here http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=313628.50  :o

with the coming changes to the forum there will be a split with a "West Coast Classics" section complementing the main "West Coast Connection". the purpose is to let those who prefer the older stuff to fill their boots and keep discussion of new material in the West Coast Connection area.

but where should the dividing line be? do we go strictly back to pre aftermath? (ruthless/death row) or do we draw the line after The Documentary? whatcha think?

i definitely think that any discussion of "lost tapes" type stuff, like the wideawake stuff belongs under classics rather than new

maybe we do it by artist, and someone like crooked i and the game are 'new' because their first release is post Dre's 2001..

lol this has been said for years just like this forum is outdated things will never change most here are euros and all they care bout is washed up rappers from 30 years ago

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:49:56 AM »
sup :)

perhaps, but then the owner of this place (me) is a euro too. think about it like this.

forgetting the clone army of 2pac/eazy obsessives.. what if what appeals to us across the pond is in indicator of more wide spread / universal appeal?

fact is. not everyone has been listening to the classic stuff since it came out and are just discovering. hell some of them may be younger than the forum let alone the music. so providing a place for them that doesn't detract from the new is a good thing i think.

so back to the question in hand. where should the line be drawn between the outdated and modern going fowards here?

BIGTIMELA

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
I'd say the documentary would be the dividing point.

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »

lol this has been said for years just like this forum is outdated things will never change most here are euros and all they care bout is washed up rappers from 30 years ago

the change is actually comin, brodie....i know it's been beat to death, but this time is foreal.

as for when the split should be, i was initially thinking that "dre 2001" would be a good cutting point for classic-west/new-west.....but I'm starting to lean towards Dax's idea of pre-"the documentary" being considered the classic-west.........especially considering that time only goes forward, thats probably the best way to have it.

Will_B

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »
Classic era ended in 99 (2001/Streetz etc)

Literally all old school rap fans get labeled as trapped in the 90s. Makes perfect sense to me.

aerroc

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »

perhaps, but then the owner of this place (me) is a euro too. think about it like this.

forgetting the clone army of 2pac/eazy obsessives.. what if what appeals to us across the pond is in indicator of more wide spread / universal appeal?

fact is. not everyone has been listening to the classic stuff since it came out and are just discovering. hell some of them may be younger than the forum let alone the music. so providing a place for them that doesn't detract from the new is a good thing i think.

so back to the question in hand. where should the line be drawn between the outdated and modern going fowards here?

then i got to say you got one of a kind forum cause this is the only place where i seen that people care some much bout some old washed up rappers  :D
but far as your question i think game will be the fit cause hes the one pretty much who put the west coast back on the map in the new millennium who ever says other wise i will like to hear why

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »

then i got to say you got one of a kind forum cause this is the only place where i seen that people care some much bout some old washed up rappers  :D
but far as your question i think game will be the fit cause hes the one pretty much who put the west coast back on the map in the new millennium who ever says other wise i will like to hear why
Hah  :D they may put out some shit now, but I've seen you love that old stuff too. That's why I think drawing a line between good old stuff including the leftovers good/bad stuff yet to leak gives a place for those stuck in that past to enjoy talking about thehy love, and maybe new fans, younger than the forum itself to find out about stuff. It's ever present, and being separate will allow the discussion of the new stuff to be seen for longer without being lost in nostalgic noise.

Bear in mind this forum isn't far off 15 years old and predates The Documentary by almost 5 years. You'll find the first whispers of The Game appearing this 'guy from Compton sounding like nas'.. Dropping his first stuff with jt the bigga figga that got his name out there live as it happened reading through the posts.. Every beef.. Getting signed.. All that...

aerroc

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »

Hah  :D they may put out some shit now, but I've seen you love that old stuff too. That's why I think drawing a line between good old stuff including the leftovers good/bad stuff yet to leak gives a place for those stuck in that past to enjoy talking about thehy love, and maybe new fans, younger than the forum itself to find out about stuff. It's ever present, and being separate will allow the discussion of the new stuff to be seen for longer without being lost in nostalgic noise.

Bear in mind this forum isn't far off 15 years old and predates The Documentary by almost 5 years. You'll find the first whispers of The Game appearing this 'guy from Compton sounding like nas'.. Dropping his first stuff with jt the bigga figga that got his name out there live as it happened reading through the posts.. Every beef.. Getting signed.. All that...

i once in a while bump some of that old stuff im not bumping that shit likes its new and nothing else is out there like most here :D
but yeah game will be the best fit since before game dre was the last west coast artist to make a big impact with chronic 2001  i look forward in seeing threads other then eazy e ice cube mc eiht and the rest tde don't get enough recognition here

Elko.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
I'd say the documentary would be the dividing point.