Author Topic: NYPD Officer Who Fatally Choked Eric Garner Wasn't Indicted, Man Who Filmed Was  (Read 1574 times)

Sccit

On the same day one grand jury decided not to indict officer Daniel Pantaleo in the death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man who was killed after being put in a chokehold last July, a different jury did indict 22-year-old Ramsey Orta, the man who captured Garner's death on camera.

Orta was charged with weapon possession after being arrested on Aug. 2, less than one month after taping Garner's confrontation with police. As seen in Orta's video, several NYPD officers confront Garner on the street for allegedly selling loose cigarettes. They're then seen bringing Garner to the ground, as Pantaleo places Garner in a chokehold.

According to an SILive.com report, Orta told the Staten Island court that he's being framed by police for capturing Garner's death.

“When they searched me, they didn't find nothing on me,” Orta said after his arrest. “And the same cop that searched me, he told me clearly himself, that karma's a bitch, what goes around comes around.”

He added later: “I had nothing to do with this. I would be stupid to walk around with a gun after me being in the spotlight.”

Police allege Orta attempted to hide an unloaded .25 caliber handgun in the waistband of 17-year-old Alba Lekaj, outside of the Hotel Richmond. Lekaj was not indicted on gun charges.

Also read: Greta Van Susteren Obliterates Al Sharpton: He Has 'Poured Gasoline' on Ferguson Fire

Despite Orta's claims and a not guilty plea, a Staten Island grand jury indicted him Wednesday with single felony counts of third-degree criminal weapon possession and criminal firearm possession. Orta is also accused of misdemeanor weapon possession and has two cases currently pending — one for accused robbery and the other for allegedly punching a man collecting bottles outside of his home.

Chrissie Ortiz, Orta's wife, called the charges against her husband “total BS.” She was arrested herself in August for an alleged assault between her and another female.

“I'm just worried about my husband and getting out the truth and making sure justice is served for Eric Garner and my husband, ” Ortiz said.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/nypd-officer-fatally-choked-eric-garner-wasnt-indicted-183500298.html

smh again

Blunt Tyme Da Gawd

• Muthafuckin' OG
i wanna hear infinite's thought on this. i bet i already know what he'll say tho.

K-MACC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
set up lol

Sccit

Blunt Tyme Da Gawd

• Muthafuckin' OG
god dammit i wish i could remember this article i read about how cops, almost all the time will not be found liable for someones death like this, which is why dudes keep getting away with murder. it has something to do with some kind of law, i think, and like how its meant to protect cops in case some shit like this goes down. its disgusting. they should be held accountable. NO ONE should be able to get away with plain as day murder like this.

Sccit

^^unless it's a deer

Cop sentenced to 6 years for killing a deer (used his badge to cover it up)

Sam Carter, ex-Boulder cop, convicted on all counts in Mapleton elk trial

By Mitchell Byars, Camera Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 - 11:05 a.m.

Sam Carter is hugged Tuesday, June 3, 2014, by his lawyer Carrie Slinkard after being found guilty on all counts in the shooting of a trophy elk on Mapleton Hill in Boulder. (MARK LEFFINGWELL)
From the moment a photo of a dead elk surfaced, the Boulder community has been captivated by the animal's fate and the hunt for what really happened on Mapleton Hill on Jan. 1, 2013.

After just a few hours of deliberation Tuesday, a Boulder County jury came to the same conclusion investigators did: Then-police officer Sam Carter plotted the kill and then used his badge to try to cover it up.

Carter was found guilty on all nine counts — including four felonies — filed against him after a weeklong trial.

Prosecutors say Carter shot the trophy elk in the residential area while on duty — without reporting that he'd fired his weapon — then claimed the animal had been injured and needed to be put down. Text messages showed he had planned the kill.

He was convicted of attempting to influence a public official, a Class 4 felony; one count of forgery, a Class 5 felony; and two counts of tampering with evidence, a Class 6 felony.

Advertisement

He also was convicted on counts of first-degree official misconduct, illegal possession of a trophy elk with a Samson Law surcharge, conspiracy to commit illegal possession of wildlife, unlawful taking of a big game animal out of season and unlawful use of an electronic communication device to unlawfully take wildlife.

Carter is due for sentencing Aug. 29 and could face up to six years in prison on the Class 4 felony conviction. Prosecutors did not ask for a change in Carter's $20,000 personal recognizance bond, and Carter and his attorneys left without commenting.

District Attorney Stan Garnett said the verdict served to "vindicate" the outrage the Boulder community felt and was important because it involved an officer abusing his authority.

"This was about something that is essential to every community, and that is integrity in public service," Garnett said.

He also stressed the importance of protecting wildlife.

"I didn't want to have lost in the rigmarole of the criminal charges the majesty of this animal and its impact on the community," Garnett said. "People who want to tease Boulder about this case have probably never seen an elk quite like this."

The death of the elk, named "Big Boy" by some residents, sparked outrage and immediate calls for action against Carter and fellow Boulder police officer Brent Curnow, who picked up the carcass.

One of the jurors, Zach Dahmen, said there was a lot of debate during deliberations but that ultimately he felt the prosecution proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

"We just felt like the facts that were presented were irrefutable," Dahmen said. "No one took any pleasure in convicting Mr. Carter. It wasn't something anyone took joy or pride in. But we do believe the verdict we came to was honest and served justice in this case."

He said while he is relieved it's over, he will always remember the case.

"I don't think any of us will be walking away from this anytime soon," he said. "I think we will carry this for a while."

'Case needed to go to trial'

Garnett said prosecutors will wait for a pre-sentence investigation before making a sentence recommendation.

The goal, he said, was to get at least one felony on Carter's record so he could never serve as a police officer again, but he added Carter has no prior criminal record and that sending an ex-cop to prison is a "complex" issue.

But Garnett did say he will be asking for a more severe sentence than the 60-day home detention sentence Curnow received after taking a plea deal.

"Brent Curnow manned up and took some responsibility," said Garnett, who added Carter was the one who hatched the plan and fired the shot.

Garnett said unlike Curnow, Carter was never offered a plea deal.

"I felt this case needed to go to trial," Garnett said. "We wanted to present this evidence in open court."

Several members of the community attended the trial, including Boulder resident Jessica Sandler.

"It is so rare for an animal to get any semblance of justice in our court system," Sandler said. "Though we'd much rather have the elk back alive, hopefully a lying and corrupt cop will be going to jail for betraying the public trust in such an egregious fashion."

Rita Anderson, of In Defense of Animals, said "justice was served" and that the jury made the right decision.

"An elk was killed for no reason other than someone's obvious greed," Anderson said.

Garnett said he and investigators were "astonished" when they first examined the evidence in the case.

"The public should know the Boulder Police Department's character as an organization is high," he said.

Camera Staff Writer Alex Burness contributed to this report. Contact Camera Staff Writer Mitchell Byars at 303-473-1329, byarsm@dailycamera.com or twitter.com/mitchellbyars.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
i wanna hear infinite's thought on this. i bet i already know what he'll say tho.

You don't die from having an arm around your neck unless you...

A. have significant damage to your throat and carotid artery (which the medical examiner confirmed there was none) or

B.  Already have pre-existing medical conditions—which Eric Garner did.  He had bad asthma and other heart conditions.  Just the simple eye test of looking at the man reveals that this was not the healthiest of man.  Eric Garner died more so because of his pre-existing health conditions, not because of the choke hold. Had the same hold been applied to a healthy man they would not have died.

...Also, once again, like Michael Brown, people must understand that actions have consequences.  If I jump off of a tall building then the consequence of that is that I may die.  It is against the law to resists arrest in America.  You can not resist arrest.  Eric Garner put his life in jeopardy by living an unhealthy lifestyle, committing crimes, and then resisting arrest.  He certainly didn't deserve to die for that... but people also have to accept that you put your life at risk with such behavior. 

...As for the cop, don't get mad at the cop, the cop, like the cop in the Michael Brown case was within the proper protocol of a police officer.  Since Garner was resisting, he had to take down a much larger man—by force.  So you can't be mad at the cop. 

If you want something to be mad at then be mad at the war on drugs.  The war on drugs and the FDA sucks resources from tax-payers and puts cops in the unfortunate position of having to detain those who violate an unjust law.

INFINITE HAS SPOKEN   8)
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Blunt Tyme Da Gawd

• Muthafuckin' OG
are you fucking stupid? did you watch the video? he wasnt resisting arrest. he was saying he couldnt breathe so there is no reason why that fucking pig shouldve kept applying the same amount of pressure. that same fucking cop that choked eric garner had already been sued TWICE for violating a citizen's constitutional rights. oh yeah, he's totally a good cop just doing his job. fucking idiot. youre just making excuses for these fucking assholes getting away with murder and youre fucking disgusting for doing such thing. everyone knows that the war on drugs is bullshit, stupid ass thing to bring up in this thread anyways.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:00:55 AM by Blunt Tyme: Resurrected »

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
are you fucking stupid? did you watch the video? he wasnt resisting arrest. he was saying he couldnt breathe so there is no reason why that fucking pig shouldve kept applying the same amount of pressure. that same fucking cop that choked eric garner had already been sued TWICE for violating a citizen's constitutional rights. oh yeah, he's totally a good cop just doing his job. fucking idiot. youre just making excuses for these fucking assholes getting away with murder and youre fucking disgusting for doing such thing. everyone knows that the war on drugs is bullshit, stupid ass thing to bring up in this thread anyways.

The Amadou Dialo case back in the day was legit... but these days you guys are really making hero's out of some people who went out and made decisions that put their lives at risk.  Acts have consequences.  To take away the risk and the consequence of life and act like it doesn't exist is to be childlike, sheltered by your mother.

Eric Garner made the choice to live an unhealthy lifestyle.  Knowing that he was in poor health he resisted arrest and got in a scuffle with the cops.  That is bad decision making if you want to live and stay healthy.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:40:11 AM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2014 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Sccit

You don't die from having an arm around your neck unless you...

A. have significant damage to your throat and carotid artery (which the medical examiner confirmed there was none) or

B.  Already have pre-existing medical conditions—which Eric Garner did.  He had bad asthma and other heart conditions.  Just the simple eye test of looking at the man reveals that this was not the healthiest of man.  Eric Garner died more so because of his pre-existing health conditions, not because of the choke hold. Had the same hold been applied to a healthy man they would not have died.

...Also, once again, like Michael Brown, people must understand that actions have consequences.  If I jump off of a tall building then the consequence of that is that I may die.  It is against the law to resists arrest in America.  You can not resist arrest.  Eric Garner put his life in jeopardy by living an unhealthy lifestyle, committing crimes, and then resisting arrest.  He certainly didn't deserve to die for that... but people also have to accept that you put your life at risk with such behavior. 

...As for the cop, don't get mad at the cop, the cop, like the cop in the Michael Brown case was within the proper protocol of a police officer.  Since Garner was resisting, he had to take down a much larger man—by force.  So you can't be mad at the cop. 

If you want something to be mad at then be mad at the war on drugs.  The war on drugs and the FDA sucks resources from tax-payers and puts cops in the unfortunate position of having to detain those who violate an unjust law.

INFINITE HAS SPOKEN   8)

no, it's not proper protocol..it's against nypd regulations to use a chokehold like that and it's pretty disappointing to see that some people actually believe that cops actions were okay.

Sccit

The Amadou Dialo case back in the day was legit... but these days you guys are really making hero's out of some people who went out and made decisions that put their lives at risk.  Acts have consequences.  To take away the risk and the consequence of life and act like it doesn't exist is to be childlike, sheltered by your mother.

Eric Garner made the choice to live an unhealthy lifestyle.  Knowing that he was in poor health he resisted arrest and got in a scuffle with the cops.  That is bad decision making if you want to live and stay healthy.

nothing he did outside of being obese put his life at risk, and that should be on his own terms...the way he was talking to the cop should in no way have put his life at risk, he was even bein polite "i didnt do nothing officer", callin the cop officer n shit lol. they didnt do a very good job of detaining him, and it's pretty obvious to see when u dont have an agenda.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

nothing he did outside of being obese put his life at risk, and that should be on his own terms...the way he was talking to the cop should in no way have put his life at risk, he was even bein polite "i didnt do nothing officer", callin the cop officer n shit lol. they didnt do a very good job of detaining him, and it's pretty obvious to see when u dont have an agenda.

what's my agenda?  What do I have to gain from supporting the police.  Most of the people I'm friends with all disagree with me.  So what is my agenda? 

...it's more than being obese, this dude had asthma and heart conditions.  I would behave more carefully if I really wanted to preserve myself and not end up dead.

Sccit

what's my agenda?  What do I have to gain from supporting the police.  Most of the people I'm friends with all disagree with me.  So what is my agenda? 

...it's more than being obese, this dude had asthma and heart conditions.  I would behave more carefully if I really wanted to preserve myself and not end up dead.

nothing he did called for bein choked out like that....watch the video and use normal human judgement. there were other ways to go about it, and chokin him like that was uncalled for. stop supporting evil homie.

dexter

J. B A N A N A S

The "Hands up dont shoot" crowd are on the same level to me as the Birthers and 9/11 Truthers.