Author Topic: When Kurupt's "Ask Yourself A Question" changed the direction of my life at 16..  (Read 227 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
So interestingly enough, I was just watching the cult classic movie Mr. Nobody (which I highly recommend) and I had no fuccing idea what was going on in the movie, it is totally mind-bending.  During the movie Kurupt's video with Dre "Ask Yourself A Question" started to emerge in my conscience, what makes this even more amazing, is that before I even started the movie I saw a thread about Kurupt in the West Coast forum and I watched Kurupt's video "Can't Buy Me Love".  The song is nothing too special, and I was about to forget all about it, but something made me take extra notice of it... I ended up catching an ill vibe to it and remembered how dope Kurupt used to be, and I have to say it was the first time I really caught myself vibing to a Kurupt song since Space Boogie.

So anyway... now I'm watching a movie, and the Kurupt song "Ask Yourself a Question" starts to emerge into my conscience—while still not really knowing what the movie was about.   Well, it turns out the movie was about parallel lives, where one decision takes your life in one direction into one universe, while another decision takes your life into an alternate universe and reality... so it's like we have all these parallel lives floating around in some space-time continuum.

So in a moment of synchronicity I was reflecting on how Kurupt's "Ask Yourself A Question" video changed my life when it came out in January 99'.

See... Around this time a lot of fakeness had taken over hip-hop.  Bad Boy had basically been running the industry in 97' and 98' (along with No Limit but that's not the subject here).   So I had been listening to a lot of bullshit that had filled my conscious.  They are good songs but not exactly what you would call "Reality Music".  Kind of fantasy joints about wealth and riches that don't really relate, but when you are a young kid your mind is too young to discriminate.  So I had bumped a lot of tracks like Puffy's "My Senorita" or Mase "I Need To Be" or "Tell Me What You Want" or 112 "Cupid" or "Only You".  

So at that point in my life there was a girl named Carissa I'd been dreaming about listening to those types of joints.  She was an older classmen, I was junior at the time and she was a senior.  I'd had a short relationship with her little sister, and I was had been in love with this girl since jr. high.  But in jr. high I was still in my zone, because Death Row was running shit, so "we don't love them hoes" and Kurupt's "Fucc a Bitch" type mantra kept me from ever getting caught up, and things moved as well as I could of possibly asked for from ages 11-15 while Death Row was running shit in the mid-90's.

But by Jan. 99' my conscience was pretty fucced up off Bad Boy and other bullshit in rap.  It was at this time that a good friend of mine, Josh, who was also a junior in high-school got the girl, Carissa, that I had been dreaming about for the longest.  He knew I liked her and that I would be interested in hearing what happened, so after his great night with her he called me (or came by and talked to me about it outside my house, can't remember exactly, or I talked to him about it at his house) anyway, up late at around maybe 1:00Am on a friday or saturday night.  So Josh started detailing everything that happened, how amazing it was, and so on...

See Josh was like an all-American type of kid, he was in student council and that's how he met Carissa was she was in student council as well.  They used to always do these programs to promote school spirit, like "wear your pajamas to school day" and stuff like that.  I was not that type in highschool and I was more prone to trying to be counter-culture, even then.  But after hearing Josh tell me about his night with Carissa I decided to change my life.

I decided that I would sell out and stop being who I was.  That I would stop trying to be real and authentic and just do the smiling, school spirit, cheerleader type of stuff and just totally sell myself out.

Then right at that moment Kurupt's "Ask Yourself the Question" video premiered and I abandoned the whole idea.

THE END

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:42:53 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2014 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

how many hoes can I fuck in one night?

Blunt Tyme Da Gawd

• Muthafuckin' OG
tl:dr. you would love a cracked out, uncle tom smh