Author Topic: D'Angelo - Black Messiah (Discussion Thread)  (Read 665 times)

dnjp4life

Re: D'Angelo - Black Messiah (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
Wow this is a total surprise!  I had no idea he was working on new material.  Currently jamming the 'Voodoo' album as I write, gotta check this out soon.

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »
Voodoo was a classic but I know he fell in to cocaine oblivion for years so this is refreshing.

Desert Lord

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 05:36:04 AM »
I think people are truly looking for a "Messiah" in black music.  D'angelo's was dope back in the day, but let's not get carried away.  And if it sounds like Prince then I ain't fuccin wit it

lol...he always had a big prince influence. which prince albums do you know?

westside159

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 06:54:27 PM »
Great comeback album , Your my lady , Alright and Send it on out "" Are the classics by him Geeaaaaaaaaaaah  8) 8)

westside159

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
Brown Sugar and Voodoo were both classics , most artist from the 90's came and went he's one of the few still at the top of his game still . Geeaah  8) 8) REMEMBER YOUR MY LADY , YOUR MY LADY AND ALRIGHT AND SEND IT OUT ?  8) 8) 8)

dnjp4life

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 10:54:31 AM »
Got the CD and playing it over and over, very impressive.  I really like the guitars on 'Prayer' and the last track 'Another Life' is just brilliant.
Interestingly, I only really recently got into Voodoo after having it for quite a while.  I think it was because 'Brown Sugar' was so easy to get into and contains some of D'Angelo's best records, but some of the stuff on Voodoo is so multi-layered and is just phenomenal to listen to.

westside159

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »
Brown Sugar and Voodoo were much better albums , but it's nice to see a comeback from D'angelo . At first listen i jumped the gun and called it great but after comparing it to his first two albums it's really just mediocre .

Soopahigh

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 05:06:06 AM »
Got the CD and playing it over and over, very impressive.  I really like the guitars on 'Prayer' and the last track 'Another Life' is just brilliant.
Interestingly, I only really recently got into Voodoo after having it for quite a while.  I think it was because 'Brown Sugar' was so easy to get into and contains some of D'Angelo's best records, but some of the stuff on Voodoo is so multi-layered and is just phenomenal to listen to.

You're right. It took me a few years to realise how good it is. Brown sugar is dope but Voodoo is just brilliant !