Author Topic: Primo Interview! "Nas Sold Out!"  (Read 252 times)

action jackson

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
Primo Interview! "Nas Sold Out!"
« on: April 05, 2003, 12:32:51 PM »
Saw this on another board in case anyone's interested! Only copied half of it cause the shit is crazy long but dope.

Primo Interview! "Nas Sold Out!"
that isn't the exact context, but Nas himself told him he slipped up on the Nastradmus album and got too involved in the Bentley's and ice. Premier gave him props though for coming back with Made You Look.

The best part is that he breaks down what went down with Jeru and Group Home and it's pretty surprising.

http://www.thaformula.com/gangstarr..._dj_premier.htm

ThaFormula.com - All right let's get down to business and get into a question that the real heads have been wondering for a few years now. What exactly went down with Jeru The Damaja?
DJ Premier - He wanted to go his own way with his career. So we said, "no problem" and he had basically said, "before I walk I need to take care of something of a financial matter" that I personally felt did not include his walking away, especially with no strings attached. So he argued and took it to a level where he thought I was being foul and I was like, "yo, I feel how you feel but this is how it's gonna stand, cause I don't argue over money, I don't do anybody unfairly that comes under my camp cause I'm a very, very regular dude." So when it came to arguin' over the bread and everything I said, "You know what? That little bit of money that your complaining about, I'm gonna give it to you and then that's it we done." That's why we did the track "B.I. vs. Friendship" and we spoke on it in that matter. He was offended by it and he made a record called "99.9 Percent" where he did little subliminal stuff that really only we knew about.

ThaFormula.com - Yeah I always wondered what exactly went down 'cause I remember him sayin' in an interview once how you guys basically turned your back on him and that you guys weren't really keepin' it real anymore?

DJ Premier - Nah, that's not true cause look at where we are, we are still doing it. I'm still working with the same artists and again he put a money situation in front of friendship and you can't do that. He put money in front of the friendship. I'd rather have the friendship, so I'm like "hey go ahead and walk."

ThaFormula.com - Some people thought you guys didn't really want to be associated with the heavy conscious rhymes of Jeru cause he was real hardcore and never held anything back?

DJ Premier - Nah, we're conscious to this day and he's hardcore, but so are we. It's like he was born from us so; uh he couldn't get hardcore without my help. I gave him his sound, I gave him his identity of music. I didn't give him his identity of being Jeru The Damaja, but I made the music sound like Jeru the Damaja music. So that wasn't the problem. If he wanted to walk and not ever work with me again, I'm not offended by that. It was the fact that he brought up a business issue that did not mix into the situation at hand. The day that Gangstarr is not keepin' it real is gonna show in our music. It's gonna sound funny, it's gonna sound like it's not raw like it used to be and that's not the case. We are still putting out joints. We still love Hip-Hop the same way, and again if you ask anybody about me, I'm so fair.

ThaFormula.com - I don't doubt that with the amount of people that respect you as much as they do…

DJ Premier - I mean do you know how many people there are that would let Jeru go and say, "okay well your next five albums, I get a big percentage of your pie." I didn't do that. I said, "yo, go on about your way." That is one of the most lucky, uh, look at Puffy. Jadakiss is on our album and when you look at the publishing it says his publishing slash Justin Combs publishing. That means Puffy is still getting paid off of Jadakiss and them when they put out releases. So that means he's like "yeah, you can go, but I am still gonna keep a pinch on your music."

ThaFormula.com - Yeah I seen that…

DJ Premier - We didn't do that to Jeru. We was like, "yo, bounce," and even when he wanted to bounce, I said listen, uh oh and let me tell you I used to do his songs on his albums for free so mind you when Gangstarr did the deal with Jeru, it was a 70-30 split. 30 percent goes to us and 70 goes to him. Out of that 30, I do all the beats for free. How lucky is that? It's like come on man. I mean what the fuck can he complain about. Nothing. We're cool now though. I saw him at my man Headquarters funeral back in October (R.I.P.). He came up to me and was like "yo Premo, we need to forget about all that bullshit." But it was never bullshit to begin with because I wasn't on no shit. Never was. I was always on some regular shit. I mean ask anyone around about me. The most you'll hear bad about me is that I'm late and slow. That's it! You will never hear nothing about me jerkin' nobody or nothin' like that, so he was never too conscious because again, all that stuff sprang from what Guru was already doing and Guru has been droppin' it the way he's been droppin' it since before Jeru even had his first 12".

ThaFormula.com - My thing was, and many people feel this way is the two of you did such classic records together...

DJ Premier - Oh hell yeah, which is why I was surprised that he, uh I'm sure at the end of the day he looked at it and said, "damn I messed up on that one."

ThaFormula.com - Now let's move on to the KRS' "Boom Bap" album. Did you get paid for that album?

Jac

Re:Primo Interview! "Nas Sold Out!"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 02:46:06 PM »
Too long to read...Hook me up wit sum audio for this.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 12:26:36 PM »
^ lol thats what i was thinking

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Jome

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 06:31:29 PM »
He's not really saying he sold out, is he?
He just says that he fall into the bling-bling trap, but snapped back to the real hiphop shit basically..

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2003, 03:43:29 PM »
"Sold Out"...these two words are used too much.

If an emcee does a song with an R&B act and makes it a single, they automatically "sold out".

Sold out or not Nas hasn't dropped a wack album.