Author Topic: Looking back on Dr. Dre's 'Detox' album: what were the best proposed tracks?  (Read 1311 times)

Sccit

Word is that first Kendrick single "Weed, Women, Weather" had Damian Marley on it for the Detox version.  You know that shit would of been fire!!!!

He had the makings of a great album, he had a lead single with Snoop "Kush" just like his previous two albums, then an Eminem comeback type song just like "Forgot About Dre" with I need a doctor.  Then he had "Topless" which was another Nas/Dre classic like "East/West Killaz", "Phone Tap", "Playaz Hustlaz"...

...So much dope shit and I haven't even heard a few of the songs you all have mentioned.  I think he really had the makings of another classic. 

the "i need a doctor" joint was pretty weak....another one of those sappy cuts that no real hip-hop head wanted 2 hear. "kush" was underrated. dre simply felt it wasnt making enough noise commercially. we coulda easily had another classic by taking the best of the proposed tracks tho.....the crooked i reference track "say dr. dre" was dope as fuck too.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Word is that first Kendrick single "Weed, Women, Weather" had Damian Marley on it for the Detox version.  You know that shit would of been fire!!!!

He had the makings of a great album, he had a lead single with Snoop "Kush" just like his previous two albums, then an Eminem comeback type song just like "Forgot About Dre" with I need a doctor.  Then he had "Topless" which was another Nas/Dre classic like "East/West Killaz", "Phone Tap", "Playaz Hustlaz"...

...So much dope shit and I haven't even heard a few of the songs you all have mentioned.  I think he really had the makings of another classic. 

the "i need a doctor" joint was pretty weak....another one of those sappy cuts that no real hip-hop head wanted 2 hear. "kush" was underrated. dre simply felt it wasnt making enough noise commercially. we coulda easily had another classic by taking the best of the proposed tracks tho.....the crooked i reference track "say dr. dre" was dope as fuck too.

I think Dre must not have liked the reception he was receiving, because he was definitely following the formula of 2001 by releasing a Snoop joint first and an Em joint second.  It seemed "Kush" did pretty well, but it deserved to be much bigger.  Unlike most people I thought "I Need A Doctor" was a solid second single. 
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
topless
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

dnjp4life

A lot of the beats Dre has produced since the turn of the millenium I guess were considered for the album at one point.  I've read before that 'The Set Up' from Obie Trice's first album was considered, as were beats like 'Westside Story' from The Game's debut.  Then as time moves on you have production from The Big Bang, and probably some Relapse stuff that Dre probably thought of keeping for himself.

I have a snippet of a beat labelled as 'Big Dusty' (I can't remember how I acquired it), but it sounds huge and it's apparently a leak from the studio when Dre was recording for the album.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Word is that first Kendrick single "Weed, Women, Weather" had Damian Marley on it for the Detox version.  You know that shit would of been fire!!!!

He had the makings of a great album, he had a lead single with Snoop "Kush" just like his previous two albums, then an Eminem comeback type song just like "Forgot About Dre" with I need a doctor.  Then he had "Topless" which was another Nas/Dre classic like "East/West Killaz", "Phone Tap", "Playaz Hustlaz"...

...So much dope shit and I haven't even heard a few of the songs you all have mentioned.  I think he really had the makings of another classic.  

i really didn't like I need a doctor when it leaked. i think it's ok now, but it's not really the type of song that fits dre. it's the type of music you expect from eminem nowadays.
kush could have been better, but it does have great instrumental 8)

A lot of the beats Dre has produced since the turn of the millenium I guess were considered for the album at one point.  I've read before that 'The Set Up' from Obie Trice's first album was considered, as were beats like 'Westside Story' from The Game's debut.  Then as time moves on you have production from The Big Bang, and probably some Relapse stuff that Dre probably thought of keeping for himself.

I have a snippet of a beat labelled as 'Big Dusty' (I can't remember how I acquired it), but it sounds huge and it's apparently a leak from the studio when Dre was recording for the album.
yeah, there was an article from Scratch magazine (i think?), which listed some instrumentals.
he had a nice sound.
i think bishop lamont mentioned that imagine was considered for Detox, not sure how true that story is. it's a nice song regardless.

as far as relapse is concerned: if you listen closely to the instrumentals, you can hear that most of them seem to be made for Eminem. maybe Crack a bottle was considered for Detox or 50 cent's album ( i think 50 cent said that), nice instrumental though.

can you share that snippet with us? there's a lot of fake audio out there, but it might the snippet of Hey young world

Matty

forgot about 'imagine' - definite detox worthy joint right there. mature, mellow, cinematic sound and some crazy bass effects 8)

'big dusty' was from some other producer working with dre, sounded sick though. those drums 8) http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/V2I5oIiJ/file.html

there's this other one from a slim the mobster clip too which a lot of people were feeling http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/C9vs37qC/file.html

from the more recent tracks to have leaked out the labs, scoe's 'sunset strip' is the nicest, even if was never meant for detox.

dnjp4life

Dr. you got my prescription and its keepin me alive, DOCTOR!

I have re-listened to this track a few times recently, and it goes hard as a club banger, but it's absolutely not the sort of sound that anyone wanted for Detox.  It sounds like the sort of track Lady Gaga would do.

Sccit

not the sort of sound that anyone wanted for Detox.  It sounds like the sort of track Lady Gaga would do.

money

Will_B

If I was Dre I'd just combine the sounds of Chronic and 2001. Like clean futistic and sample heavy with real dj'ing. Maybe even live drums on there too

But Detox ain't NEVER coming out now Dre's connected to Apple. Every single lyric would be condemned by the board/in the media

bouli77

the recipe was a detox track which was later included on GKMC's deluxe edition. that's my favorite song with Imagine.

Wasn't Popped Off supposed to come out of the Detox sessions, too ? If so, it ranks among my favorite songs too, I love that track, the winter sadness sample, and the Chemistry between Dre & T.I..

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Imagine
Boss Life
Shit Popped off

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
forgot about 'imagine' - definite detox worthy joint right there. mature, mellow, cinematic sound and some crazy bass effects 8)

'big dusty' was from some other producer working with dre, sounded sick though. those drums 8) http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/V2I5oIiJ/file.html

there's this other one from a slim the mobster clip too which a lot of people were feeling http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/C9vs37qC/file.html

from the more recent tracks to have leaked out the labs, scoe's 'sunset strip' is the nicest, even if was never meant for detox.
thanks for posting big dusty, i don't remember hearing this before.
i remember the other clip, thanks though  :)