Author Topic: let's accept west coast hip-hop music is dead  (Read 4146 times)

WestWestYA

Re: let's accept west coast hip-hop music is dead
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jbSLtNDBc5Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jbSLtNDBc5Y</a>

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Desert Lord

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »
lso as much as i love kendrick, ab-soul and their stuff, i wouldn't mind another rapper, crew or producer with a 2010+ version of that funky westcoast shit...and that yg album don't really count imo...mustard beats is too cheap. he's like a poor man's manny fresh that try to recreate old too short sounds from time to time imo..that's just me i guess. i know alot of fools got love for mustard

how does it not count exactly ? YG's album is by essence "that funky westcoast shit" and that "newer form of g-funk" you just described. how is it cheap exactly ? they used live instruments and session musicians like Terrace Martin to replay the tracks. and the result is funky, gangsta and g-funkish as it can get. I swear people sleep on Mustard's versatility. He's pegged as a one trick pony when he has clearly shown he could produce club tracks, g-funk tracks, more soulful and r&b tracks.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wm-ZLq1q_mA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wm-ZLq1q_mA</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/97DMZnAsXfI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/97DMZnAsXfI</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m06PQfSU6HU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m06PQfSU6HU</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gTj8_ZYyll0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gTj8_ZYyll0</a>

if you can't appreciate the groovy sound, the g-funk elements and regional sound in these songs, then I can't do anything for you.

lol chill....i never said that there would be no "regional" aspects in his sound, i just don't feel it and it sounds cheap to me..the drums sound over-quantized and have no live feeling on it (i suspect the drums to be just programmed on flstudio) and sounds "cold". drums are an important part of a beat. i prefer a more "organic" sound.
don't get me wrong i liked some of the tracks from the album. but "me & my bitch" for example (best track on the album imo) but that was the only track that wasn't produced my mustard. do it to ya is  a perfect example. it sounds like not nearly as groovy as let's play house....i give yg props for his obviously suga free influence on it (same on "the flockers"), but overall it's nothing that i feel..what should i say? if i don't feel it i don't feel it. we're gonna end up debating on opinions
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:32:02 PM by Funk Lord »

CORREA

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 04:29:14 PM »
ya cant forget tde in house beat makers  ;)

Sccit

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
i agree wit funk lord to an extent, a lot of mustard's beats do sound generic/cheap......not to say he doesnt have some slaps, but he's not one of the better overall producers reppin the west, just the most popular.

bouli77

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 04:35:16 PM »

lol chill....i never said that there would be no "regional" aspects in his sound, i just don't feel it and it sounds cheap to me..the drums sound over-quantized and have no live feeling on it (i suspect the drums to be just programmed on flstudio) and sounds cold. drums are important part of a beat. i prefer a more "organic" sound.
don't get me wrong i liked some of the tracks from the album. but "me & my bitch" for example (best track on the album imo) was the only track that wasn't produced my mustard. do it to ya is perfect example. it sounds like not nearly as groovy as let's play house....i give yg props for his obviously suga free influence on it (same on "the flockers"), but overall it's nothing that i feel..what should i say? if i don't feel it i don't feel it. we're gonna end up debating on opinions

i'm very tranquil and relaxed, thanks for you concern 8)

not debating your opinion, just discussing your argument which sounds weak to me. you said there were no live feelings to the album, that's how you feel it, but check the credits http://www.discogs.com/YG-My-Krazy-Life/release/6368843 and the Jeezy interview about the interview (as he's the exec producer), Mustard laid the beats down and had everything replayed by session musicians with live instruments.

bouli77

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
i agree wit funk lord to an extent, a lot of mustard's beats do sound generic/cheap......not to say he doesnt have some slaps, but he's not one of the better overall producers reppin the west, just the most popular.

didn't say he was the best either, i think his sound oversaturated the radio and a lot of his shit is indeed generic and hit or miss, but don't be fooled by his signature sound, he has a lot of slaps, dope shit and YG's album and 10 Summers rank among his better work. and he's also more than what he's credited for. He can produce legit r&b songs.

Sccit

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »

didn't say he was the best either, i think his sound oversaturated the radio and a lot of his shit is indeed generic and hit or miss, but don't be fooled by his signature sound, he has a lot of slaps, dope shit and YG's album and 10 Summers rank among his better work. and he's also more than what he's credited for. He can produce legit r&b songs.

i know what u mean.....i think it's usually the drums that make it sound weak. because like u mentioned, a lot of the melodies are actually played live.

Desert Lord

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »

lol chill....i never said that there would be no "regional" aspects in his sound, i just don't feel it and it sounds cheap to me..the drums sound over-quantized and have no live feeling on it (i suspect the drums to be just programmed on flstudio) and sounds cold. drums are important part of a beat. i prefer a more "organic" sound.
don't get me wrong i liked some of the tracks from the album. but "me & my bitch" for example (best track on the album imo) was the only track that wasn't produced my mustard. do it to ya is perfect example. it sounds like not nearly as groovy as let's play house....i give yg props for his obviously suga free influence on it (same on "the flockers"), but overall it's nothing that i feel..what should i say? if i don't feel it i don't feel it. we're gonna end up debating on opinions

i'm very tranquil and relaxed, thanks for you concern 8)

not debating your opinion, just discussing your argument which sounds weak to me. you said there were no live feelings to the album, that's how you feel it, but check the credits http://www.discogs.com/YG-My-Krazy-Life/release/6368843 and the Jeezy interview about the interview (as he's the exec producer), Mustard laid the beats down and had everything replayed by session musicians with live instruments.

more live feelings than a lot of other producers nowadays got no doubt, but that ain't really sayin' much. i just don't get the hype gets from a lot of "older" hiphop fans. i still giving him props for letting things replayed by session musicians, as you said. on the other hand i would give him even more props if he would play the keys or something by himself.. but let's see, maybe he will grow musically and will suprise me one day ;)
peace

Desert Lord

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 04:54:14 PM »
.mustard beats is too cheap. he's like a poor man's manny fresh that try to recreate old too short sounds from time to time imo..that's just me i guess. i know alot of fools got love for mustard

musturd is way worse then fresh its basically the same beat over and over the name dj musturd nobody will care by next year 

yeah his shit got boring real quick. tyler, the creator makes some dope beats. i cant really think of newer LA producers off the top of my head right now.

yeah tyler got some good cuts..something different tho

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 04:57:36 PM »
Small minded motherfuckers can't keep with the times. Might as well pack it up and stop trying to live homie.

doublee313

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »
I think what dude is saying is "The West Coast" is dead to the mainstream.  It's not popping like it was in the 90's, early 2000s.  Sure you still have West Coast artists releasing stuff, but it's not selling millions.  It's still around for fans that follow the trend, but it's not something bumping on the radio anymore or TV, etc.

Like the The Beatles, The Monkeys.  Aerosmith, Rolling Stones.  No one is on that level, but the later still sell records to their fans.  But that era is dead.

Someone or something will blow up on the west and bring it back.  Maybe the N.W.A movie will help revive it to the mainstream and a good time for people to drop some solid albums.

Blunt Tyme Da Gawd

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 07:40:27 PM »
listen to Tee Fllii's album Starr if you want that smooth west coast shit. he aint a rapper, singer and has E-40, Skeme, Nipsey, Snoop, DJ Quik, Dom Kennedy etc as features. great album to smoke and chill to.

CORREA

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 09:39:59 PM »

Someone or something will blow up on the west and bring it back.  Maybe the N.W.A movie will help revive it to the mainstream and a good time for people to drop some solid albums.

wait till the next kendrick album cause that's what ur going to be hearing everywhere when it drops

the  N.W.A movie not going to do nothing it will come PEOPLE will enjoy it and it will go its not like anyone here {USA} is going to listen to any that old stuff anyway

Jay_J

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:39 AM »
i read your answers with my eyes open wide and i see some guys can't accept the truth.

let's see what most of you said "its an evolution, music changed, g-funk is gone, old cats are dead not west coast hiphop, bla bla bla".

some of you named some underground rappers and its really a shame.

i accept that g-funk is no longer popular, its an evolution, but that evolution happened after dre's 2001 and brought a new era, now that new era is dead also and nobody on the west side could put something new instead of it.

i love underground hiphop but im not talking about this.

lets say old cats are gone, dre, snoop, dpg, xzibit, cypress and others...

please tell me one new cat on the westside who is popular as much as old cats were in their age.

if you tell me west coast underground hiphop are doing good albums worth to listen, ok! i accept that.

i was listening underground rappers even when west coast music was so popular with legendary artists that i mentioned before.

west coast hiphop is no longer interesting, if it changed, what we have now? just nothing. accept the fact guys.

StayTrue

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 01:46:12 AM »
Mustard and "newer form of g-funk"? No, thanks. For me it`s newschool sound with a bit of old west coast sound. Newer version of g-funk is for example Polyester the Saint or Cardo (I know, he isn` from west coast). So smooth and dope.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:48:23 AM by StayTrue »