Author Topic: let's accept west coast hip-hop music is dead  (Read 4110 times)

bouli77

Re: let's accept west coast hip-hop music is dead
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 02:14:49 AM »
i read your answers with my eyes open wide and i see some guys can't accept the truth.

let's see what most of you said "its an evolution, music changed, g-funk is gone, old cats are dead not west coast hiphop, bla bla bla".

some of you named some underground rappers and its really a shame.

i accept that g-funk is no longer popular, its an evolution, but that evolution happened after dre's 2001 and brought a new era, now that new era is dead also and nobody on the west side could put something new instead of it.

i love underground hiphop but im not talking about this.

lets say old cats are gone, dre, snoop, dpg, xzibit, cypress and others...

please tell me one new cat on the westside who is popular as much as old cats were in their age.

if you tell me west coast underground hiphop are doing good albums worth to listen, ok! i accept that.

i was listening underground rappers even when west coast music was so popular with legendary artists that i mentioned before.

west coast hiphop is no longer interesting, if it changed, what we have now? just nothing. accept the fact guys.

you keep mistaking facts for opinions. you seem genuinely sad that west coast music isn't as commercial or successful worldwide as it once was. well maybe it's not as popular in the world (which I don't think is really true), but west coast artists haven't been as successful in years. and that is a fact. now whether you like these artists or not is a matter of opinion, but the facts is that a good number of them are buzzing to this day, and they're not underground : YG, Kendrick Lamar, SchoolBoy Q, Nipsey Hussle, G-Eazy, IamSu, Problem, FaShawn, Macklemore ?

so, maybe westcoast rap's heyday has passed, maybe westcoast music was in decline for several years. but if you follow what's going on, you will notice it's been on rise for a few years now, if you don't like these new artists that's your opinion and that's fine, but that's not a FACT at all. people please stop using this word without thinking. westcoast music is not dead at all. it's on and popping.

you lament the lack of longevity of the OG's, but a rapper's prime is short lived, rap music is based on novelty, innovation and spontaneity. most of the time an artist or a label comes up, breaks through because their sound is fresh and they are somewhat "culturally" relevant, but after that rappers have a hard time maintaining their standards of quality and quickly run out of things to say. you have a lot of artists with great longevity (scarface, nas, e40, quik), but they're the exception more than the norm. and you expect artists to stay relevant for 20 plus years ? You're asking for a lot. There'll always be interesting music coming from the OG's but their time have passed and they probably don't have the drive or the creativity to come up with really interesting music, unless they reinvent themselves and transition to other things. criticize Snoop all you want, but him doing a reggae album and a funk album is more interesting than hearing him spit nonsense on gangbang rookie, in my opinion.

Mustard and "newer form of g-funk"? No, thanks. For me it`s newschool sound with a bit of old west coast sound. Newer version of g-funk is for example Polyester the Saint or Cardo (I know, he isn` from west coast). So smooth and dope.

it depends on the song, there are mustard songs like "smoking n drinking" which have  very obvious g-funk twist. you might not like it, but it's there.

I love Polyester as a producer but his raps are redundant, though. Cardo is a beast, too.

Jay_J

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 02:37:55 AM »
i read your answers with my eyes open wide and i see some guys can't accept the truth.

let's see what most of you said "its an evolution, music changed, g-funk is gone, old cats are dead not west coast hiphop, bla bla bla".

i accept that g-funk is no longer popular, its an evolution, but that evolution happened after dre's 2001 and brought a new era, now that new era is dead also and nobody on the west side could put something new instead of it.

please tell me one new cat on the westside who is popular as much as old cats were in their age.

if you tell me west coast underground hiphop are doing good albums worth to listen, ok! i accept that.

i was listening underground rappers even when west coast music was so popular with legendary artists that i mentioned before.

west coast hiphop is no longer interesting, if it changed, what we have now? just nothing. accept the fact guys.

you keep mistaking facts for opinions. you seem genuinely sad that west coast music isn't as commercial or successful worldwide as it once was. well maybe it's not as popular in the world (which I don't think is really true), but west coast artists haven't been as successful in years. and that is a fact. now whether you like these artists or not is a matter of opinion, but the facts is that a good number of them are buzzing to this day, and they're not underground : YG, Kendrick Lamar, SchoolBoy Q, Nipsey Hussle, G-Eazy, IamSu, Problem, FaShawn, Macklemore ?

so, maybe westcoast rap's heyday has passed, maybe westcoast music was in decline for several years. but if you follow what's going on, you will notice it's been on rise for a few years now, if you don't like these new artists that's your opinion and that's fine, but that's not a FACT at all. people please stop using this word without thinking. westcoast music is not dead at all. it's on and popping.

you lament the lack of longevity of the OG's, but a rapper's prime is short lived, rap music is based on novelty, innovation and spontaneity. most of the time an artist or a label comes up, breaks through because their sound is fresh and they are somewhat "culturally" relevant, but after that rappers have a hard time maintaining their standards of quality and quickly run out of things to say. you have a lot of artists with great longevity (scarface, nas, e40, quik), but they're the exception more than the norm. and you expect artists to stay relevant for 20 plus years ? You're asking for a lot. There'll always be interesting music coming from the OG's but their time have passed and they probably don't have the drive or the creativity to come up with really interesting music, unless they reinvent themselves and transition to other things. criticize Snoop all you want, but him doing a reggae album and a funk album is more interesting than hearing him spit nonsense on gangbang rookie, in my opinion.

Mustard and "newer form of g-funk"? No, thanks. For me it`s newschool sound with a bit of old west coast sound. Newer version of g-funk is for example Polyester the Saint or Cardo (I know, he isn` from west coast). So smooth and dope.

it depends on the song, there are mustard songs like "smoking n drinking" which have  very obvious g-funk twist. you might not like it, but it's there.

I love Polyester as a producer but his raps are redundant, though. Cardo is a beast, too.

yes its my opinion and maybe im too old fashioned romantic about golden age of west coast hiphop.

but you also agree on westcoast music was in decline for several years.

that is what i am talking about.

kendrick's first album made a big impact on music industry, but we can't name his album "west coast hiphop" because he is just from compton.

but you can definately call jay rock's "follow me home" album "west coast hiphop".

anyway, as a west coast hiphop fan i'm not interested in SchoolBoy Q, Nipsey Hussle, G-Eazy, IamSu, FaShawn, and other dudes.
because i listened to some records of them, and they are really ordinary.they are just underground rappers.
they have no potential to make a big impact. but i appreciate their effort.

bouli77

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 03:10:20 AM »

yes its my opinion and maybe im too old fashioned romantic about golden age of west coast hiphop.

but you also agree on westcoast music was in decline for several years.

that is what i am talking about.

kendrick's first album made a big impact on music industry, but we can't name his album "west coast hiphop" because he is just from compton.

but you can definately call jay rock's "follow me home" album "west coast hiphop".

anyway, as a west coast hiphop fan i'm not interested in SchoolBoy Q, Nipsey Hussle, G-Eazy, IamSu, FaShawn, and other dudes.
because i listened to some records of them, and they are really ordinary.they are just underground rappers.
they have no potential to make a big impact. but i appreciate their effort.

yes it was in decline, in the past tense, it's not anymore. it's been on the rise since 11-12.

why can't we call "GKMC" a west coast record if Kendrick comes from Compton ? You're mistaking a subgenre of rap with regions. If you listen to Kendrick's music, you'll definitely know he's from the west coast, not from the beats, but from his content.

you're mistaking west coast music with gangsta rap and g-funk. if you want to hear some newer gangsta rap or g-funk listen to Polyester the Don. if you want to hear newer west coast music with typical g-funk/gangsta rap elements, listen to Dom Kennedy, Terrace Martin, Skeme, Jay305, etc.

if you want to listen to non-westcoast music with g-funk / gangsta rap influences check out Stalley, Curren$y, Freddie Gibbs, etc.

it seems to me you have a hard time accepting that music is in constant evolution and that nothing can be or sound the same for ever.

You equate ordinary music with underground music. Is underground music ordinary by essence ? Not necessarily.

How are they undergrounds, though ?

SchoolBoy Q had one of the highest selling albums last year, Nipsey Hussle is an established artist in the industry, Sage the Gemini has had a platinum selling single, G-Eazy has videos with 18 million views on youtube (wow, how underground), FaShawn is signed to Nas's record label, they all are making an impact right now. Maybe not in Antalya or Kathmandu, but culturally and musically west coast music is on the rise, and just because it doesn't sound like west coast music sounded 20 years ago, doesn't mean west coast music is dead, it's just that you don't like it anymore.

Jay_J

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 03:55:38 AM »
i think what made west coast different than other rap genres wasn't its content or region. it was music to me.

yes, kendrick is a west coast rapper but i can't call his record west coast. we cant also call it east coast or another. he has is own style.

i accept music can change, i don't think dre will do another 2001. detox will be definately dope and different.

we didn't expect xzibit to make another "at the speed of life" but he did "restless".

we didn't expect snoop dogg to do another doggystyle but he did "the last meal".

so music can change, i agree, but you have to put something newi something really good.

jedi mind tricks is also an underground hiphop band. i dont mean they are wack or they didnt sell when i say "underground".

i agree i dont like it anymore.

west coast should create a new era. a new genre. it doesnt has to be gangsta rap or g-funk.

but they have to put something out that we can call "this is west coast!"

Sccit

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
well, u said west coast hip-hop is dead.....which is flat out wrong. if u look in the underground scene, we got lotsa talented artists still puttin out dope west coast shit. what u shoulda said was "mainstream west coast hip-hop is dead", which in that case, i would've agreed

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »

maybe im too old fashioned romantic about golden age of west coast hiphop.

LOL

CORREA

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 03:15:30 PM »
well, u said west coast hip-hop is dead.....which is flat out wrong. if u look in the underground scene, we got lotsa talented artists still puttin out dope west coast shit. what u shoulda said was "mainstream west coast hip-hop is dead", which in that case, i would've agreed

better yet i will be bold to say mainstream where ever you from is dead east west south
most are doing the trap style beats shit

every one has every one on their albums no matter where they r from

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
yup. mainstream in general is not what it used to be.....the machine killed the game.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »
good rap music in general is on life support, forget the coast

doggfather

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »
good rap music in general is on life support, forget the coast

+1
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

papa-smurf

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 12:35:39 AM »
YG,kendrick lamar,nipsey hussle,schoolboy q,mila j,tinashe,teeflii,kid ink,jhene aiko is all westcoast artist thats doing it big right now. so how is westcoast music dead when its more than 10 westcoast artist thats doing it major right now

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »
That Coco song rapper is from LBC and its all over the radio

Free Suge Knight, Gucci Mane, & BShmurda Welcome Home Tray D

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:14 PM »
G-Funk may be dead but the West is not...

Even that isn't dead, there's alotta G Funk in Trap Music, lyrically and instrumentally.

"Never Catch Me" is pretty G Funk to me too, same with some of Tee-Flii's album.  "10 Summers" had a G Funk vibe to it too. 

Lol at this blatant Troll Thread

CORREA

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »
G-Funk may be dead but the West is not...

Lol at this blatant Troll Thread

i wouldn't call it a troll thread i call it some ones mad cause their washed up old west coast rappers are nearly extincted (;

Jay_J

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »
YG,kendrick lamar,nipsey hussle,schoolboy q,mila j,tinashe,teeflii,kid ink,jhene aiko is all westcoast artist thats doing it big right now. so how is westcoast music dead when its more than 10 westcoast artist thats doing it major right now

all rappers you mentioned are doing ordinary albums. they are not talented rappers when you compare with legends. could any of them did something like "restless" "space boogie" "i want it all"? could they did a classic like those? who the fuck on earth knows them except of west coast fans? but today, you can hear "regulate" is still playin on radio on everywhere in the world.

is that what you call "new west"?  schoolboy g? kid ink? teefliii? wow. im impressed.