Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar-To Pimp A Butterfly (March 23) Updated with tracklist & features  (Read 7193 times)

Will_B

I've literally never made a thread about TI m-dawgy

donfathaimmortal

I'm not a fan but he is talented. I tried to listen to good kid mad city but the production was so bad that i couldn't give it more than two listens. Just by skimming through the album, this sounds more like something i would enjoy.

This. I never succeed in listenin GKMC, which was another rap album like many others with, perhaps, cohesive but bad productions. This one is actually good with some dope joints, even if i'm not a Kendrick Lamar fan ;)
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside

Wait... hum... was that someone else then that filled up my inbox about me locking up that thread for the trolling? Damn, so long ago.

BIGWORM

Album is better than his last for sure! I think K-Dot has started a new West-Coast genre called "hipster funk"...

Good album best of 2015 so far.   

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Everyone just ignore Will from here on out. He's either trolling or just has no ear for music.

Honestly believe in a decade, people will group this album with 90's classics. Only time will tell.

This is more like the drop from Doggystyle to Doggfather (but not quite as steep)

Trying to fit in with the trolls to prevent getting trolled on is just not for you, guy.

Will_B

Everyone just ignore Will from here on out. He's either trolling or just has no ear for music.

Honestly believe in a decade, people will group this album with 90's classics. Only time will tell.

This is more like the drop from Doggystyle to Doggfather (but not quite as steep)

Trying to fit in with the trolls to prevent getting trolled on is just not for you, guy.

Fit in with who??

If you've got a counter argument this is the place to speak up

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
My entire argument is you have had a negative opinion on Kendrick for the last five years. So in other words, you don't have an opinion worth recognizing.

Plus, you tryna fit in. I get it...I'm just saying fall back. Bad look for ya.

Will_B

My entire argument is you have had a negative opinion on Kendrick for the last five years.

What?

Stop making stuff up and post an opinion about the music

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
LOL
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
My entire argument is you have had a negative opinion on Kendrick for the last five years.

What?

Stop making stuff up and post an opinion about the music

I have multiple times. This album has everything. You're just hating hard, bruh.

One million percent positive if this came out in 1995 we'd be talking about it to this day. Nobody ever likes to view things as legendary two days after it happens, but give it time.

Raphael

So you are more of a modern hip-hop fan, and I can respect that. I think GKMC was better production wise, but I'm an old head. I know that more modern fans loved this album, and I hear many younger fans talk about the improved production for this album. I remember when OutKast had the Love Below 12 years ago, this sound was considered experimental, and then Kanye really took that experimental sound and made it his own starting with Late Registration. Now one review from a respected young critic called this "pure hip-hop." And Lyrically I'll agree, but he was talking the whole thing from production and to whole nine. So I am starting to realize that this is pure modern hip-hop. What I remember being experimental is now the norm. And that's not a bad thing at all. I always knew hip-hop would have to eventually merge with many different styles of music, and it has. This album I think will be a measuring stick to other rappers now. Young fans seem to really, really like this album, and some older heads are calling it trash. I'm kind of excited to see where hip-hop as a whole goes after this.
So that record doesn't have a modern sound? I'm asking because i don't really know. I don't automatically think a record is better because it has live instrumentation if that's what you think but it makes me appreciate it more if its good. I can't say i listen to much current hiphop but i like the direction its going in.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
So you are more of a modern hip-hop fan, and I can respect that. I think GKMC was better production wise, but I'm an old head. I know that more modern fans loved this album, and I hear many younger fans talk about the improved production for this album. I remember when OutKast had the Love Below 12 years ago, this sound was considered experimental, and then Kanye really took that experimental sound and made it his own starting with Late Registration. Now one review from a respected young critic called this "pure hip-hop." And Lyrically I'll agree, but he was talking the whole thing from production and to whole nine. So I am starting to realize that this is pure modern hip-hop. What I remember being experimental is now the norm. And that's not a bad thing at all. I always knew hip-hop would have to eventually merge with many different styles of music, and it has. This album I think will be a measuring stick to other rappers now. Young fans seem to really, really like this album, and some older heads are calling it trash. I'm kind of excited to see where hip-hop as a whole goes after this.
So that record doesn't have a modern sound? I'm asking because i don't really know. I don't automatically think a record is better because it has live instrumentation if that's what you think but it makes me appreciate it more if its good. I can't say i listen to much current hiphop but i like the direction its going in.

Nah, I'd say GKMC is more of a modern sound, but it's got a throwback feel. So it's almost like a modern take on the old westcoast sound, and it does have a Trap beat in Waterfalls. But GKMC is not nearly as risky sound wise as TPAB. It fits in the traditional sense of hip-hop. Content wise though, the story is amazing and to me, it will stand the test of time as a pure hip-hop classic.

And I think my main point, which I didn't hit on at all so I'm sorry for that, is that the sound of hip-hop is changing. It's not that Boom Bap sound of New York, or that G-Funk sound of LA, or that Booty Bass of Miami. Hip-Hop's sound is no longer regional, it's universal. And what was experimental 10 years ago and weird to us old heads, is now the norm. And that's not a bad thing, I have always thought hip-hop had to evolve to stay relevant and as someone who bought all of Kanye's albums and OutKast, I'm kind of happy it went in this direction. Also, Dr. Dre was the first to introduce live instruments in the 80's when he had DJ. Yella do live drums. And then on 2001, he had musicians play live instruments and he sampled live music and made them into crystal clear sounding hip-hop beats. So production in hip-hop has been going in this direction for a long time. I think it's actually pretty cool and I think we'll see more of it as time moves on. At least with more live instruments.

Will_B

One million percent positive if this came out in 1995 we'd be talking about it to this day.

No this album will be talked about in 20 years. In forums on the internet

bouli77

after one spin, i prefer it over GKMC and maybe Section .80, the production is amazing and Kendrick went in. a lot of experimental stuff flow-wise that i'm not fond of but I need more spin to form a definite opinion.

that song with Rapsody is ridiculous.

Sccit

One million percent positive if this came out in 1995 we'd be talking about it to this day

cant wait 2 hear this shit