Author Topic: The Master List of Hip-Hop Classic Albums  (Read 1367 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
The Master List of Hip-Hop Classic Albums
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
This right here is the best list of Hip-Hop classic albums. As ranked by me, M Dogg. I left no stone unturned and no list spared. I've been waiting a long time to do this and I decided now, with the Kendrick album being debated if it's classic or not to do this. Now everyone is debating classic status. While I've got you covered. And trust me, I kept out half of the late 80's that I wanted to put in because I was being really selective. Just think how the late 80's would be if I put in everything I wanted. But trust me, if I questioned it just a bit, it's not in.

Kurtis Blow - Kurtis Blow - 1980

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message -1982

Wild Style Original Soundtrack - 1983

Run-DMC - Run DMC - 1984

LL Cool J - Radio - 1985

Run-DMC - Raising Hell - 1986

Boogie Down Production - Criminal Minded - 1987

Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full - 1987

Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick - 1988

EPMD - Strictly Business -1988

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane - 1988

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - 1988

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton - 1988

Eazy-E - Eazy Does It - 1988

Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown -1988

Boogie Down Productions - By All Means Necessary - 1988

De La Soul - 3 Feel High and Rising - 1989

D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better - 1989

Too $Hort - Life is Too $hort - 1989

Geto Boys - Grip It! On That Other Level - 1989

Jungle Brothers - Done by the Forces of Nature - 1989

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet -1990

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm -1990

Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - 1990

DJ Quik - Quik Is the Name - 1991

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory - 1991

Ice Cube - Death Certificate 1991

Redman - Whut? Thee Album - 1992

The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde - 1992

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother - 1992

Dr. Dre - The Chronic - 1992

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - 1993

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle - 1993

Nas - Illmatic - 1994

Scarface - The Diary - 1994

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die - 1994

Warren G - Regulate... the G-Funk Era

OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik - 1994

Chef Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... - 1995

Mobb Deep - The Infamous - 1995

2Pac - Me Against the World - 1995

2Pac - All Eyez On Me - 1996

Makaveli - The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory - 1996

Fugees - The Score - 1996

The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death - 1997

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - 1998

OutKast - Aquemini - 1998

The Roots - Things Fall Apart - 1999

Dr. Dre - 2001 - 1999

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP - 2000

Jay-Z - The Blueprint - 2001

Nas - Stillmatic - 2001

Eminem - The Eminem Show - 2002

Kanye West - College Dropout - 2004

Common - Be - 2005

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury - 2006

Lil' Wayne - The Carter III - 2008 (I threw up a little bit in my mouth, but it set the tone for most modern hip-hop)

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - 2010

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City - 2012

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly - 2015
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:49:04 PM by M Dogg™ »

doggfather

Re: The Master List of Hip-Hop Classic Albums
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:19:08 AM »
An ok list till 94, ater that...
Well only your favs.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 01:50:30 AM »
Loool at Will  ;D

Mdogg must reread the source and just copy #100 classic albums

Remedy360

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:47:59 AM »
I don't understand the logic behind putting C3 on there. Just because it "set the tone for modern hip hop" doesn't mean that should be seen as a positive. If anything, it should be condemned.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:27:37 AM »
Well only your favs.

Yeah. Predictable list and a lot on there are just average
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Free Suge Knight, Gucci Mane, & BShmurda Welcome Home Tray D

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »
Well only your favs.

Yeah. Predictable list and a lot on there are just average

This is why it's about time to legitimately Separate the multiple Genres of this Music that comes from Hip Hop/Urban Communities.

Opinions are one thing, Clutter is another

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
I don't understand the logic behind putting C3 on there. Just because it "set the tone for modern hip hop" doesn't mean that should be seen as a positive. If anything, it should be condemned.

It's why it's the only one that I left a note, because I personally thought it was alright, and heard better. But I have a friend who is a hip hop junkie, like is into more than me and that's saying something. He has followed hip hop since the early 80's, and as he told me, to not think the Carter III is a classic is to be a hater. These kids love it and every song is a radio song that everyone loves. It's when he had to remind me hip hop is party music. So as a pure party album, in a party music genre, that everyone parties too, then it is a classic.

If it looks like I ripped off the Source, it's because I started with the Source and XXL, looked at what both called classic and if both mags said it was a classic, that's were I started the list. So Kanye Dark Twisted, Mobb Deep, All Eyez On Me. Those all were classics by both standards so I started the list from there. Then I looked at album reviews from multiple mags to see who got high reviews. Some albums, like the first Jungle Brothers, got average reviews but the Source called it a classic. I listened to it myself (well I listened to that album may times over the years, but I did review it again) and created my own opinion. First Jungle Brothers album out, the better second Jungle Brothers album in. I also was extra critical of the 80's and early 90's, because I would have 100 albums and half of the year 1988 in there. So some albums I really really loved got cut.

Post-1994, I went a lot more on how those albums were taken in and if they influenced hip hop. Stillmatic really went after American foreign policy the post-9/11 era which influenced artist like Immortal Technique and others. Also if the album is still talked about today. Lauryn Hill's album is studied in college courses, the Fugees sold over 18 million albums and it was highly politically conscience, The Roots had their best album and it influenced live bands in production, Eminem was at his lyrical peak, The Dropout changed production in hip hop for the better adding soul to the music and it had many conscience rappers featured. I can go down the list of each album. But it had to be ranked high in reviews and then influence hip hop afterwards. Then made the final cut, and the only question mark I had was Carter III, all the others I felt great saying, that's a classic. I also left some off post 1994, like Kurupt, Eazy E, and the Game. But they didn't have as much influence as they were influenced by others.

Blood$

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »
I own 37 from that list and I can agree with some of them being classics others just solid works

Carter II > Carter III though and I don't own a copy of either one lol  8)

Remedy360

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »

It's why it's the only one that I left a note, because I personally thought it was alright, and heard better. But I have a friend who is a hip hop junkie, like is into more than me and that's saying something. He has followed hip hop since the early 80's, and as he told me, to not think the Carter III is a classic is to be a hater. These kids love it and every song is a radio song that everyone loves. It's when he had to remind me hip hop is party music. So as a pure party album, in a party music genre, that everyone parties too, then it is a classic.

Just because it was incredibly popular and a bunch of "kids" love it shouldn't make it a classic. What the hell do kids know anyways (got me feeling like an old man). I was a fan of Wayne up until this album, and while there were a few nice cuts it was really off-putting to most people that had followed his career, and brought along the pop crowds that just want to listen to whatever is playing on the top 50. Is that really a hip hop classic? Just the premise that it set the scene for the BS we hear today is pretty off-putting to me, but to each his own.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 04:45:28 AM »

Just because it was incredibly popular and a bunch of "kids" love it shouldn't make it a classic. What the hell do kids know anyways (got me feeling like an old man). I was a fan of Wayne up until this album, and while there were a few nice cuts it was really off-putting to most people that had followed his career, and brought along the pop crowds that just want to listen to whatever is playing on the top 50. Is that really a hip hop classic? Just the premise that it set the scene for the BS we hear today is pretty off-putting to me, but to each his own.

And some felt that way about Doggystyle and the BS westcoast rap in the 90's. I remember Doggystyle being described as Jr. High rap by some older dudes.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:51:26 AM »
I own 37 from that list and I can agree with some of them being classics others just solid works

Which ones would you say are solid works?

Blood$

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 07:57:10 AM »

Ghostface - Ironman, I love this album and I'd probably say it's my second or third favorite from Ghost that I'd rate 4.5/5
Eminem - The Eminem Show, same as Ghost this is probably my third favorite release from Em that I would give a 4/5
Lil Wayne - The Carter 3, 4/5 quality album after going about the test of time since its release... a few awful tracks brought the album down
Kanye West - MBDTF, I did love this album but maybe it was the fact that 75% of it was already leaked prior to release making it feel short to me but musically this album transitions almost flawlessly and there are some classic songs on it

I'm with you on Kendrick's new joint being classic but at the same time that may be still too early to call lol

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »

Ghostface - Ironman, I love this album and I'd probably say it's my second or third favorite from Ghost that I'd rate 4.5/5
Eminem - The Eminem Show, same as Ghost this is probably my third favorite release from Em that I would give a 4/5
Lil Wayne - The Carter 3, 4/5 quality album after going about the test of time since its release... a few awful tracks brought the album down
Kanye West - MBDTF, I did love this album but maybe it was the fact that 75% of it was already leaked prior to release making it feel short to me but musically this album transitions almost flawlessly and there are some classic songs on it

I'm with you on Kendrick's new joint being classic but at the same time that may be still too early to call lol

I actually questioned all of those myself. Ironman was the closest to being left off, aside from Wayne. The Eminem Show to me was his best album, so that one was not going to get left off for nothing. I almost left off Marshall Mathers LP, but NOT Eminem Show. Carter III has been talked about in depth. I personally am not a fan, but these kids love it as much as I loved Doggystyle, which some of the older folks then called Jr. High rap. I think Carter III gets classic status by most of hip-hop in a few years. And the only reason, and I mean ONLY reason My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy gets classic status is because both the Source and XXL called it classic, and my original goal was to only list the ones they both called classic. Then I realized they left out all pre-1985 classics, which are very important, and then from there XXL basically left out the 80's, and the Source left out the 2000's.

But yeah, I still question Ironman, but it's so good. Like I liked it more than Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... I might have to rehear it just to verify it. It might take listening with more critical ears.

Blood$

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:28 AM »

I actually questioned all of those myself. Ironman was the closest to being left off, aside from Wayne. The Eminem Show to me was his best album, so that one was not going to get left off for nothing. I almost left off Marshall Mathers LP, but NOT Eminem Show. Carter III has been talked about in depth. I personally am not a fan, but these kids love it as much as I loved Doggystyle, which some of the older folks then called Jr. High rap. I think Carter III gets classic status by most of hip-hop in a few years. And the only reason, and I mean ONLY reason My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy gets classic status is because both the Source and XXL called it classic, and my original goal was to only list the ones they both called classic. Then I realized they left out all pre-1985 classics, which are very important, and then from there XXL basically left out the 80's, and the Source left out the 2000's.

But yeah, I still question Ironman, but it's so good. Like I liked it more than Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... I might have to rehear it just to verify it. It might take listening with more critical ears.

I see you... I was also going to say that I'd put Lord Willin' over HHNF but I love Clipse and everything they do, so whichever one people call classic from them I can't say anything lol

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »

I see you... I was also going to say that I'd put Lord Willin' over HHNF but I love Clipse and everything they do, so whichever one people call classic from them I can't say anything lol

I think the only reason HHNF gets rated better than Lord Willin' is because it has less features. Both are great, but LW has more features. But both are amazing and the Clipse are very underrated, even by me. At the time I was so dismissive, but now I really can appreciate their style. It might have been Pharell's finest work.