Author Topic: The Master List of Hip-Hop Classic Albums  (Read 1368 times)

Blood$

Re: The Master List of Hip-Hop Classic Albums
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
I own 37 from that list and I can agree with some of them being classics others just solid works

Carter II > Carter III though and I don't own a copy of either one lol  8)

Which ones would you say are solid works?

Ghostface - Ironman, I love this album and I'd probably say it's my second or third favorite from Ghost that I'd rate 4.5/5
Eminem - The Eminem Show, same as Ghost this is probably my third favorite release from Em that I would give a 4/5
Lil Wayne - The Carter 3, 4/5 quality album after going about the test of time since its release... a few awful tracks brought the album down
Kanye West - MBDTF, I did love this album but maybe it was the fact that 75% of it was already leaked prior to release making it feel short to me but musically this album transitions almost flawlessly and there are some classic songs on it

I'm with you on Kendrick's new joint being classic but at the same time that may be still too early to call lol

I actually questioned all of those myself. Ironman was the closest to being left off, aside from Wayne. The Eminem Show to me was his best album, so that one was not going to get left off for nothing. I almost left off Marshall Mathers LP, but NOT Eminem Show. Carter III has been talked about in depth. I personally am not a fan, but these kids love it as much as I loved Doggystyle, which some of the older folks then called Jr. High rap. I think Carter III gets classic status by most of hip-hop in a few years. And the only reason, and I mean ONLY reason My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy gets classic status is because both the Source and XXL called it classic, and my original goal was to only list the ones they both called classic. Then I realized they left out all pre-1985 classics, which are very important, and then from there XXL basically left out the 80's, and the Source left out the 2000's.

But yeah, I still question Ironman, but it's so good. Like I liked it more than Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... I might have to rehear it just to verify it. It might take listening with more critical ears.

I see you... I was also going to say that I'd put Lord Willin' over HHNF but I love Clipse and everything they do, so whichever one people call classic from them I can't say anything lol

I think the only reason HHNF gets rated better than Lord Willin' is because it has less features. Both are great, but LW has more features. But both are amazing and the Clipse are very underrated, even by me. At the time I was so dismissive, but now I really can appreciate their style. It might have been Pharell's finest work. 

agreed on the Pharrell part for sure, those beats were pure cane on wax and I even remember Pusha T saying before it dropped that album had Neptunes' best production ever

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:42:18 AM »

Mdogg must reread the source and just copy #100 classic albums

lmao  yep

no Esham albums?  Chino XL's first album isn't on there?  No MF Doom?

horrible list after the mid 90's - Carter 3?  lmao  Kanye?? hahaha

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:12 AM »
mdogg argues just to argue....sometimes he doesnt even genuinely believe what he's saying, he just wants to "win" a debate

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
lol he doesnt even have 1 bay album up there

the fuckery continues

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »

Mdogg must reread the source and just copy #100 classic albums

lmao  yep

no Esham albums?  Chino XL's first album isn't on there?  No MF Doom?

horrible list after the mid 90's - Carter 3?  lmao  Kanye?? hahaha

Yeah, I was going to put some underground Indy stuff up there, especially because I love Immortal Technique Revolutionary Vol. 2. But I kept it at mainstream stuff, because it was hard enough keeping the list at a lower number.

lol he doesnt even have 1 bay album up there

the fuckery continues

2Pac. After that list one other album.

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
lol 2pac is LA, but ill give u that...

what do u mean list one other? norcal has wayyyy too many classics to list.

this thread is garbage, but u entitled to your opinion tho

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »

For reals, I tried to think of some Bay area ones, but like I said earlier, I didn't add indy records. And most of the Bay is indy. I can do an indy list, as that would interest me more.. That shit would be too long. I was really more looking for a reason to exclude more than include. Even Ghostfast is on the chopping block.

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »

For reals, I tried to think of some Bay area ones, but like I said earlier, I didn't add indy records. And most of the Bay is indy. I can do an indy list, as that would interest me more.. That shit would be too long. I was really more looking for a reason to exclude more than include. Even Ghostfast is on the chopping block.

thats actually a solid excuse...i can dig it

but bay was gettin a lot of major label recognition when west coast rap took off in the early 90s...spice 1, celly cel, luniz, e40, etc all dropped on majors

Blood$

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 03:40:47 PM »
this is random but it's something that came to mind, wasn't Geto Boys' Grip It! On That Other Level album given 5 mics too? I wouldn't call that their best album though but they have a few classics by that logic

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 07:57:12 PM »

but bay was gettin a lot of major label recognition when west coast rap took off in the early 90s...spice 1, celly cel, luniz, e40, etc all dropped on majors

I may re look into it. I noticed one mistake thanks to this next post....

this is random but it's something that came to mind, wasn't Geto Boys' Grip It! On That Other Level album given 5 mics too? I wouldn't call that their best album though but they have a few classics by that logic

I actually meant to put Grip It!... Fuck... now I have to change it. Not to knock We Can't Be Stopped, but it was a B+ album, but I accidently put that up instead of Grip It! Part of the problem of posting this shit late at night.

Blood$

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 10:40:38 PM »
I personally feel that Grip It!, We Can't Be Stopped, and Til Death Do Us Part are all classics lol but that's mostly me just being a big GB fan

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »

To be fair, I almost included Hall of Game from E-40, that's his best album and it got okay reviews, the best reviews of his albums. But no one called it a classic, and it had too many features for my taste. That's just me. Luniz had a classic song, I Got 5 On It is an anthem and it's not overstating that they have a pure 100% classic song. It's actually why I accidently put We Can't Be Stopped over Grip It!, Because My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me is a 100% classic song, but the rest of We Can't Be Stopped is a solid album, but not quite a classic.

Yeah, as I said, I'm trying to find a way to keep more album off than keep them in. So now, Ghostface, due to lots of backlash, is gone.

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »

To be fair, I almost included Hall of Game from E-40, that's his best album and it got okay reviews, the best reviews of his albums. But no one called it a classic, and it had too many features for my taste. That's just me. Luniz had a classic song, I Got 5 On It is an anthem and it's not overstating that they have a pure 100% classic song. It's actually why I accidently put We Can't Be Stopped over Grip It!, Because My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me is a 100% classic song, but the rest of We Can't Be Stopped is a solid album, but not quite a classic.

Yeah, as I said, I'm trying to find a way to keep more album off than keep them in. So now, Ghostface, due to lots of backlash, is gone.

operation stackola is easily a classic, not even up for discussion

Blood$

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
Scarface - The Fix is another one that got 5 mics/XXL rating I think but maybe that was up there in the original post and didn't load up

love that album as well

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »

operation stackola is easily a classic, not even up for discussion

The only reason I didn't put it up is because lots of reviews gave it average, 3.5mics, 3/5 stars, etc., which was mainly based off the strength of 1 song. Not saying I don't think it's classic, but as I said, I'm trying to find reason NOT to over use the word classic. Even if I personally agree it's a classic, and fan review sites have given the album 4.5/5 stars, if I can find a reason not to include it, I'm not going to include it. Even if I like the album.