Author Topic: The Master List of Hip-Hop Classic Albums  (Read 1371 times)

Sccit

Re: The Master List of Hip-Hop Classic Albums
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »
lol 2pac is LA, but ill give u that...

what do u mean list one other? norcal has wayyyy too many classics to list.

this thread is garbage, but u entitled to your opinion tho

For reals, I tried to think of some Bay area ones, but like I said earlier, I didn't add indy records. And most of the Bay is indy. I can do an indy list, as that would interest me more.. That shit would be too long. I was really more looking for a reason to exclude more than include. Even Ghostfast is on the chopping block.

thats actually a solid excuse...i can dig it

but bay was gettin a lot of major label recognition when west coast rap took off in the early 90s...spice 1, celly cel, luniz, e40, etc all dropped on majors

To be fair, I almost included Hall of Game from E-40, that's his best album and it got okay reviews, the best reviews of his albums. But no one called it a classic, and it had too many features for my taste. That's just me. Luniz had a classic song, I Got 5 On It is an anthem and it's not overstating that they have a pure 100% classic song. It's actually why I accidently put We Can't Be Stopped over Grip It!, Because My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me is a 100% classic song, but the rest of We Can't Be Stopped is a solid album, but not quite a classic.

Yeah, as I said, I'm trying to find a way to keep more album off than keep them in. So now, Ghostface, due to lots of backlash, is gone.

operation stackola is easily a classic, not even up for discussion

The only reason I didn't put it up is because lots of reviews gave it average, 3.5mics, 3/5 stars, etc., which was mainly based off the strength of 1 song. Not saying I don't think it's classic, but as I said, I'm trying to find reason NOT to over use the word classic. Even if I personally agree it's a classic, and fan review sites have given the album 4.5/5 stars, if I can find a reason not to include it, I'm not going to include it. Even if I like the album.

lol what kind of a man bases his thoughts on what another man thinks? are you a heterosexual?? if so, why do u care what another man thinks?? every album you listed has reviews that say it's not classic. THINK FOR YOURSELF.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »

For reals, I tried to think of some Bay area ones, but like I said earlier, I didn't add indy records. And most of the Bay is indy. I can do an indy list, as that would interest me more.. That shit would be too long. I was really more looking for a reason to exclude more than include. Even Ghostfast is on the chopping block.

but bay was gettin a lot of major label recognition when west coast rap took off in the early 90s...spice 1, celly cel, luniz, e40, etc all dropped on majors

To be fair, I almost included Hall of Game from E-40, that's his best album and it got okay reviews, the best reviews of his albums. But no one called it a classic, and it had too many features for my taste. That's just me. Luniz had a classic song, I Got 5 On It is an anthem and it's not overstating that they have a pure 100% classic song. It's actually why I accidently put We Can't Be Stopped over Grip It!, Because My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me is a 100% classic song, but the rest of We Can't Be Stopped is a solid album, but not quite a classic.

Yeah, as I said, I'm trying to find a way to keep more album off than keep them in. So now, Ghostface, due to lots of backlash, is gone.

The only reason I didn't put it up is because lots of reviews gave it average, 3.5mics, 3/5 stars, etc., which was mainly based off the strength of 1 song. Not saying I don't think it's classic, but as I said, I'm trying to find reason NOT to over use the word classic. Even if I personally agree it's a classic, and fan review sites have given the album 4.5/5 stars, if I can find a reason not to include it, I'm not going to include it. Even if I like the album.

lol what kind of a man bases his thoughts on what another man thinks? are you a heterosexual?? if so, why do u care what another man thinks?? every album you listed has reviews that say it's not classic. THINK FOR YOURSELF.

I also mentioned that if they got 5mics and XXLs, BOTH, then they get included automatically.

And it's just an excuse to exclude some albums. And some albums were included because they have heavy influence. So even though they got 4 mics here, and XL here, if they have influence then they are included. DJ Quik, Quik Is the Name, that changed production. The Pharcyde, Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde started the movement of Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, and other more alternative westcoast groups. So I try to give credit to those that changed the game but mags didn't recognize. But for the Luniz, they improved the game, they had a very solid album. But I just need some proof of their influence, other than having the one instrumental that was used my high school years to freestyle over. I tripped out with 8 Miles, because they used that Mobb Deep track, which was classic. But on the west, we always spit over I Got 5 On It. If you can name some artist that the Luniz influenced, aside from L.A.M.B., then I'll reconsider. Because trust me, I want to put that album there, I just don't want to put some shit up there that everyone else will trash like Ghostface.

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »

I also mentioned that if they got 5mics and XXLs, BOTH, then they get included automatically.

And it's just an excuse to exclude some albums. And some albums were included because they have heavy influence. So even though they got 4 mics here, and XL here, if they have influence then they are included. DJ Quik, Quik Is the Name, that changed production. The Pharcyde, Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde started the movement of Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, and other more alternative westcoast groups. So I try to give credit to those that changed the game but mags didn't recognize. But for the Luniz, they improved the game, they had a very solid album. But I just need some proof of their influence, other than having the one instrumental that was used my high school years to freestyle over. I tripped out with 8 Miles, because they used that Mobb Deep track, which was classic. But on the west, we always spit over I Got 5 On It. If you can name some artist that the Luniz influenced, aside from L.A.M.B., then I'll reconsider. Because trust me, I want to put that album there, I just don't want to put some shit up there that everyone else will trash like Ghostface.

lmao@questioning whether the luniz have influenced anyone.....youre wayyyy too much bruh.

u missed a ton of bay albums, not just that one.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »

lmao@questioning whether the luniz have influenced anyone.....youre wayyyy too much bruh.

LOL... okay, list the Bay area albums, and why they are classics. Go.

Sccit

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »

lmao this dude said "LOL" as if he didnt just make a whole list of classic albums and didnt include one bay area album...................STOP IT

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »

lmao this dude said "LOL" as if he didnt just make a whole list of classic albums and didnt include one bay area album...................STOP IT

I put LOL because no matter what I post, you'll complain. That's why.

Listen my dude. Reality is that most people outside the Bay don't listen to the Bay. For me, I do. But when it comes to listing classics, classics are albums that moved the culture. They are albums that other artist listen to and said, that's what inspired me to write rhymes. They are albums that people go out and say, that's why I wanted to do this, or that album is when I fell in love with hip-hop. Are there some people in Oakland right now saying, yeah, that Spice 1 album, that shit is why I love rap music. Hell yeah. But is it a universal deal. The Bay has dominated the indy sense. They have dominated it to the point where you need to have a whole separate section for the Bay and indy hip-hop. Rawkis in the late-90's, Tech9ne, Immortal Technique, the whole Latin Rap sense post-1995. Lots of artist put their shit out indy now, and it's better than the mainstream in many cases. But it has to move the culture, and it's very hard to move the culture when you are pushing 100,000 against an album that's pushing 4 million and gets spins on the radio.

This gets into masterpiece vs. classic. Masterpiece is an album that's a great piece of art. Classic is an album that moves the culture. So yes, as fucked up as it is, sales is a huge part of being a classic. If Mona Lisa was the best painting, but no one saw it, does that mean it's still as influential in art? If Mac Mall had a masterpiece, but only a few people bought it, does that make that a classic?

As I've stated, I'm trying to take names off, not put stuff in. The title classic shouldn't just be thrown around. It's not like Affirmative Action of rap music, oh you need a classic from every region. Shit, where's my real Detroit shit? Detroit has one of the best hip-hop sense in the nation, Royce, Esham,
Mastamind. But again, if no one heard it. Eminem is about as Detroit as 2Pac is Bay Area. But that's my point. Who moves the culture, and what albums influence others.

Sccit

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 10:14:46 PM »

Listen my dude. Reality is that most people outside the Bay don't listen to the Bay. For me, I do. But when it comes to listing classics, classics are albums that moved the culture. They are albums that other artist listen to and said, that's what inspired me to write rhymes. They are albums that people go out and say, that's why I wanted to do this, or that album is when I fell in love with hip-hop. Are there some people in Oakland right now saying, yeah, that Spice 1 album, that shit is why I love rap music. Hell yeah. But is it a universal deal. The Bay has dominated the indy sense. They have dominated it to the point where you need to have a whole separate section for the Bay and indy hip-hop. Rawkis in the late-90's, Tech9ne, Immortal Technique, the whole Latin Rap sense post-1995. Lots of artist put their shit out indy now, and it's better than the mainstream in many cases. But it has to move the culture, and it's very hard to move the culture when you are pushing 100,000 against an album that's pushing 4 million and gets spins on the radio.

This gets into masterpiece vs. classic. Masterpiece is an album that's a great piece of art. Classic is an album that moves the culture. So yes, as fucked up as it is, sales is a huge part of being a classic. If Mona Lisa was the best painting, but no one saw it, does that mean it's still as influential in art? If Mac Mall had a masterpiece, but only a few people bought it, does that make that a classic?

As I've stated, I'm trying to take names off, not put stuff in. The title classic shouldn't just be thrown around. It's not like Affirmative Action of rap music, oh you need a classic from every region. Shit, where's my real Detroit shit? Detroit has one of the best hip-hop sense in the nation, Royce, Esham,
Mastamind. But again, if no one heard it. Eminem is about as Detroit as 2Pac is Bay Area. But that's my point. Who moves the culture, and what albums influence others.

lol what are u talkin about...classic has nothing to do with sales smfh. ever heard of CULT-classics? aka classics that dont get recognized by mainstream media. classic is in the quality, not in the influence. there are many diff typa classics. underground classics, regional classics, etc. etc....and the bay is one of the more influential regions of hip-hop, so please just stop while u still can, because u sayin some weirdo shit right about now.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 01:29:05 PM »

lol what are u talkin about...classic has nothing to do with sales smfh. ever heard of CULT-classics? aka classics that dont get recognized by mainstream media. classic is in the quality, not in the influence. there are many diff typa classics. underground classics, regional classics, etc. etc....and the bay is one of the more influential regions of hip-hop, so please just stop while u still can, because u sayin some weirdo shit right about now.

Then it's a cult classic. Actually, that's not a bad list to make. Hip-Hop cult classics. It would have some Horrorcore, Detroit in the 90's, the Bay, political rap, hard gangsta rap, conscience rap. Lots of those listed fall under those categories, but they did it on a much bigger scale. But underneath all of that are these little gems, regional classics, genre classics, cult-classics, and many are better than some of the albums I posted. But they were done on a smaller scale. But if I was to include all of them, then you are talking about 100 classic albums. With a genre that's only 35 years old, that's 3 classic albums a year. That dilutes the term classic. If classics come all the time, why label them classic?

Sccit

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
because for me, classic is all about the quality of the content .. if an album is the best at what it does, that's a classic. classics were droppin left n right in the 90s..... not so much nowadays.

soulja boy mighta had a bigger impact than mausberg ..... don't mean his shits better. classic is a characteristic of QUALITY.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »
because for me, classic is all about the quality of the content .. if an album is the best at what it does, that's a classic. classics were droppin left n right in the 90s..... not so much nowadays.

soulja boy mighta had a bigger impact than mausberg ..... don't mean his shits better. classic is a characteristic of QUALITY.

That's fair. I think that's what myself and Shallow were talking about. A great album is more of a masterpiece. It has everything, it's a great piece of music in a vacuum. But a classic has to be a bit more. You can have cult-classics, but a true classic is something that is a great piece of music and it is bigger than a great piece of music. It's the problem with calling Kendrick a classic right now, as we don't know the cultural impact. Yet nowadays you can see through social media that this will move the culture. The Geto Boys moved the culture as the first southern rap hip-hop group that really was respected, and on top of that they opened the doors to a horricore sub-genre in hip-hop. You have De La Soul that opened the doors to more alternative sounds in rap music, Pharcyde that opened up groups like Jurassic 5 and Dilated Peoples, Rakim that influenced Nas. You can go on with each album, even Lil Wayne....  :puke: influenced Drake, Nikki and a whole group of artist that have a lot of followers in rap music. So great music in a vacuum, that's cool. But you have to hold the title classic for music that moves the culture.

dnjp4life

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2015, 08:39:44 AM »
I own roughly 40 of the albums on the list.
One album that should definitely be included though, is GZA's 'Liquid Swords'.  Also, no GangStarr?  A Tribe Called Quest's third album?  Souls of Mischief?