Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta music video  (Read 3321 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta music video
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:47 PM »
ow am I arguing just to argue. I made the point, Kendrick is on that neo-G-Funk shit. You arguing with me, talking about, oh I can prove my shit. You ain't prove shit. All you prove is that you think in order to be G-Funk, you need to be gangsta. I put some shit up there that showed Kendrick was on some hood shit, and you talking on some other shit. You are so insecure about your own streetcred you have to tear down others. I mean, come on man. If you can't see how this was a tribute to that old school G-Funk, DJ Quik, Suga Free shit, I mean seriously. You taking this way to serious. It's some funk shit that has some rapping on top of it and it's the basic Suga Free G-Funk formula. Why is that so hard to understand?

And Warren G may have had all that shit, but all of that shit was usually comedy. Gangsta Sermon. You ever listen to it? Funny as shit. Warren like made fun of the hood. And he got robbed as much as he did the robbing in the songs. Warren G was on some Middle School crew shit more than he was on some gangsta Crip shit. So I mean he may say gangsta, but nothing about Warren G was gangsta. Maybe Nate Dogg. Nate may have put the G into G Funk. But still. Kendrick got more streetcred than Kendrick.

But the point stands. King Kunta is on some G-Funk shit. Kendrick may not be gangsta, but it's G-Funk the same way rock music is rock music, and country music is country music, because he took that style of music and made a song that fits that sound. Straight up, that's it.

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »
he's not spittin gangsta shit, he's spittin ABOUT gangsta shit....in a 3rd person perspective. marv albert, not kobe bryant.

You said it yourself he's talking ABOUT gangsta shit, he sampled a beat from mausberg so what more does it take to say it isn't a spin on some g-funk shit? He has to say he did gangsta shit in first person experience? I'd say that is reaching

BIGTIMELA

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2015, 09:41:28 PM »
There is def a g-funk influence in the sound of some aspects of the album. But the the flow of the album is more on some uplifting/pro black music. I think both of you guys have different definitions of g-funk, you could really look at g-funk it in 2 ways:

1. A certain sound in the music
2. A certain style/subject matter in the music.

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 09:50:19 PM »
Definitely not the album just this song and Wesleys theory

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »
There is def a g-funk influence in the sound of some aspects of the album. But the the flow of the album is more on some uplifting/pro black music. I think both of you guys have different definitions of g-funk, you could really look at g-funk it in 2 ways:

Oh the whole album is actually closer to Outkast than G-Funk. But that track and Wesley's Theory are about as westcoast G-Funk as you are going to hear this side of 1999.

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2015, 11:48:47 PM »

g-funk is a combination of 1 and 2

Sccit

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2015, 11:52:53 PM »
I guess the only way to make it more gangsta was if Kendrick grabbed 2 40's at the liquor store, then smashed one of them over the Korean dude's head and ran off with the other one... LOL... that's gangsta.

what are u talkin bout....warren g had songs in the vein of gangsta luv, gangsta sermon etc., was always talkin bout blastin heat, robbin fools etc, rappin bout "cuzz" this and "loc" that. warren g was gangsta rap, period.

kendrick lamar IS NOT

u are beyond lost, my friend.. kendrick lamar talks about how gangstas are fuckin up and is more on some hipster shit than gangsta shit. rappin about gangsta shit from a third person perspective while frownin upon it.....and once again, only a retard would argue against that.

i think this is just another instance of u arguing for the sake of argument, not because u genuinely believe what u are sayin lolsmh

So basically, Kendrick raps like he's not still in the middle of puberty and you make it seem like thats a bad thing. Newsflash, Gangsta Rap is for teenagers and grown men that still think they're teenagers. Full out blood and guts gangsters listen to Sam Cooke and Bobby Womack. Tag along little thugs listen to thug rap.

i never said thats a bad thing...u missin my entire point.

and bein a snob+judging people based on what they listen to is bitchmade in my book. to me, thats the epitome of bein close-minded.. but ur entitled to ur own uppity opinion i guess.

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2015, 11:56:55 PM »
ow am I arguing just to argue. I made the point, Kendrick is on that neo-G-Funk shit. You arguing with me, talking about, oh I can prove my shit. You ain't prove shit. All you prove is that you think in order to be G-Funk, you need to be gangsta. I put some shit up there that showed Kendrick was on some hood shit, and you talking on some other shit. You are so insecure about your own streetcred you have to tear down others. I mean, come on man. If you can't see how this was a tribute to that old school G-Funk, DJ Quik, Suga Free shit, I mean seriously. You taking this way to serious. It's some funk shit that has some rapping on top of it and it's the basic Suga Free G-Funk formula. Why is that so hard to understand?

And Warren G may have had all that shit, but all of that shit was usually comedy. Gangsta Sermon. You ever listen to it? Funny as shit. Warren like made fun of the hood. And he got robbed as much as he did the robbing in the songs. Warren G was on some Middle School crew shit more than he was on some gangsta Crip shit. So I mean he may say gangsta, but nothing about Warren G was gangsta. Maybe Nate Dogg. Nate may have put the G into G Funk. But still. Kendrick got more streetcred than Kendrick.

But the point stands. King Kunta is on some G-Funk shit. Kendrick may not be gangsta, but it's G-Funk the same way rock music is rock music, and country music is country music, because he took that style of music and made a song that fits that sound. Straight up, that's it.

i never said anything about street cred. wtf are u rambling on about....i said g-funk is a sub-genre of gangsta rap, and kendrick lamar is not a gangsta rapper. ur startin to lose ur mind bro.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2015, 06:31:42 AM »
Song is fire.

Video is trash.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »
I guess the only way to make it more gangsta was if Kendrick grabbed 2 40's at the liquor store, then smashed one of them over the Korean dude's head and ran off with the other one... LOL... that's gangsta.

what are u talkin bout....warren g had songs in the vein of gangsta luv, gangsta sermon etc., was always talkin bout blastin heat, robbin fools etc, rappin bout "cuzz" this and "loc" that. warren g was gangsta rap, period.

kendrick lamar IS NOT

u are beyond lost, my friend.. kendrick lamar talks about how gangstas are fuckin up and is more on some hipster shit than gangsta shit. rappin about gangsta shit from a third person perspective while frownin upon it.....and once again, only a retard would argue against that.

i think this is just another instance of u arguing for the sake of argument, not because u genuinely believe what u are sayin lolsmh

So basically, Kendrick raps like he's not still in the middle of puberty and you make it seem like thats a bad thing. Newsflash, Gangsta Rap is for teenagers and grown men that still think they're teenagers. Full out blood and guts gangsters listen to Sam Cooke and Bobby Womack. Tag along little thugs listen to thug rap.

and bein a snob+judging people based on what they listen to is bitchmade in my book. to me, thats the epitome of bein close-minded.. but ur entitled to ur own uppity opinion i guess.

All this time I thought uppity only applied to racist whites about blacks. Thanks for making me look up the word.

Anyway, I said you make it sound, thus admitting I'm not sure if you are calling it bad thing. The epitome of close minded is refusing to listen to other styles and genres. I've listened to as much Gangsta Rap as anyone else and I enjoy it, but I enjoy it like I enjoy action movies. I've outgrown the notion that it is serious art. Its juvenile entertainment for the main purpose of commerce. The gangsta rapper has to hide his true emotions for the sake of the culture, thus lessening its credibilty as art.

For a thug rap song to be high art it must come from an artist unafraid to be left vulnerable. The DPG stuff is great music and fun stuff but it hides way too much about the human psyche to compete with the new Kendrick album.

In the end Art is all subjective, but in the beginning Art is all objective. And gangsta rap breaks the first objective rule of art. It has to be real and true and come from with in you without conforming.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »

i never said anything about street cred. wtf are u rambling on about....i said g-funk is a sub-genre of gangsta rap, and kendrick lamar is not a gangsta rapper. ur startin to lose ur mind bro.

There is a difference with being a gangsta rapper, and paying homage to gangsta rap. I don't think you are understanding that. And this was paying homage to G-Funk, mainly DJ Quik and Suga Free. Man, you sure are insistent you are always right.

Sccit

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »

There is a difference with being a gangsta rapper, and paying homage to gangsta rap. I don't think you are understanding that. And this was paying homage to G-Funk, mainly DJ Quik and Suga Free. Man, you sure are insistent you are always right.

payin homage to g-funk, sure...but it's not g-funk. thats all i been sayin, brodie....but u always workin on them debate skills, no matter the cause. i see u.

Sccit

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2015, 12:36:53 PM »

kendrick lamar IS NOT

All this time I thought uppity only applied to racist whites about blacks. Thanks for making me look up the word.

Anyway, I said you make it sound, thus admitting I'm not sure if you are calling it bad thing. The epitome of close minded is refusing to listen to other styles and genres. I've listened to as much Gangsta Rap as anyone else and I enjoy it, but I enjoy it like I enjoy action movies. I've outgrown the notion that it is serious art. Its juvenile entertainment for the main purpose of commerce. The gangsta rapper has to hide his true emotions for the sake of the culture, thus lessening its credibilty as art.

For a thug rap song to be high art it must come from an artist unafraid to be left vulnerable. The DPG stuff is great music and fun stuff but it hides way too much about the human psyche to compete with the new Kendrick album.

In the end Art is all subjective, but in the beginning Art is all objective. And gangsta rap breaks the first objective rule of art. It has to be real and true and come from with in you without conforming.

who's to say it's not art? action movies can be just as artistic as dramas....not everything has to be deep and articulate to be art. thats a common mistake that people with a superiority complex make. sometimes, it's the simple things in life that make the best art.

and while kendrick tries his hardest to sound sophisticated, artistic, and musically superior, his effort isn't half as good as an album like "dogg food". thats authentic shit straight from the soul.. they didn't have to try so hard, it was natural, and u can hear it in the product....not to mention, kendrick's shit isn't anywhere close to "dogg food" sonically.

and thats why "dogg food" is a better piece of art than "to pimp a butterfly"... and also why things dont need to be so intricate and complex to be considered a masterpieces.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »

payin homage to g-funk, sure...but it's not g-funk. thats all i been sayin, brodie....but u always workin on them debate skills, no matter the cause. i see u.
My God, I have been saying it's an homage to G-Funk for about 5-6 post now... LMFAO... I guess you must not be high so you finally saw it... it's all good homie. I know sometimes living up to the name LAMB is hard.

Sccit

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2015, 01:12:27 PM »
u called it neo-g-funk......LOL. only now you're twisting shit up like u do best when u start losin a debate. i see ux2