Author Topic: Tha Dogg Pound - Cali Iz Active ...9 years later  (Read 990 times)

HighEyeCue

Re: Tha Dogg Pound - Cali Iz Active ...9 years later
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
The single was dope as fuck, but alltogether the album was a dissappointment. There were a few good songs on there, but just too many lame songs, useless features (P. Diddy, Paul Wall etc.) and some songs that just didn't fit their style of course the songs with dudes like paul wall). Was also very dissappointed by kurupt on this album, he just spit too much useles bitch/Dick/nigga verses and just some very very rare glimpses of good lyrics...

Yeah, I remember listening and realizing that Daz actually sounded better on the mic than Kurupt, never a good sign.

This album sucks... Kurupt even admits in a recent interview that he basically hasn't even been trying or cared much about making music since Space Boogie.  I'm as big of a Kurupt fan as anybody but I never respected any of his work after Space Boogie so it was definitely validation for me to hear him say that in an interview.

I listened to the beginning of this album and as soon as I heard what Kurupt was coming with I said—no thank you.

The 213 Hard Way album was way better then this project. 

Kurupt's Against The Grain era had some heat...

Schüler Music

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.soundcloud.com/ludwigschuler
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »
The single "Cali iz active" is one of the best westcoast tracks ever made.

Battlecat making the beat
<a href="https://www.youtube.com//v/YeSxroKw28o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com//v/YeSxroKw28o</a>

The album has some great productions. Rick Rock, Soopafly, Ryan Leslie, first time i ever heard 1500 or nothing and all battlecat beats are great

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 04:46:18 AM »
huge disapointment when it was released and still meh

WestSideDon

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 08:38:34 AM »
The single "Cali iz active" is one of the best westcoast tracks ever made.

Battlecat making the beat
<a href="https://www.youtube.com//v/YeSxroKw28o" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com//v/YeSxroKw28o</a>

The album has some great productions. Rick Rock, Soopafly, Ryan Leslie, first time i ever heard 1500 or nothing and all battlecat beats are great

Made the dissappointment even worse, after that single I was really hopin for somethin good but ended up with a couple nice to ok songs and lots of filler.

dnjp4life

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 09:05:09 AM »
I throw it in the system occassionally and usually enjoy it, even if it doesn't have that much replay value.
Of course the title track is a banger, as is 'Kushn and Pushin'.  I even don't mind the Swizz Beatz produced track.  'Throwin Up Tha C' is probably the best joint on there, such a good funky beat  8)
One thing I did mention in another thread though, I was disappointed with Nate Dogg's appearance on this album.  Without his name being mentioned in the booklet you would barely notice he's on there at all.

WestSideDon

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »
I throw it in the system occassionally and usually enjoy it, even if it doesn't have that much replay value.
Of course the title track is a banger, as is 'Kushn and Pushin'.  I even don't mind the Swizz Beatz produced track.  'Throwin Up Tha C' is probably the best joint on there, such a good funky beat  8)
One thing I did mention in another thread though, I was disappointed with Nate Dogg's appearance on this album.  Without his name being mentioned in the booklet you would barely notice he's on there at all.

Kushn N Pushin was one of the very rare dope tracks on there, that beat was fire and both came correct on that.

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »
still remember when it dropped, almost the entire forum had "..iz active" after their username LOL......i remember goin to the dpg concert for my birthday and meetin up wit sikotic and doggy over there. they were standin side by side singin cali iz active, throwin up dubs n alla that....memories.