Author Topic: Dr Dre “inspired by the film” Soundtrack Dropping August 1st!  (Read 3819 times)

Sccit

Re: Dr Dre “inspired by the film” Soundtrack Dropping August 1st!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »
the fuck outa here jome....if dre touches it, shit'll be dope.

if alex the kid, dj mustard, and all those fuckboys got together to drop a project, it wouldnt be half as good as it would with dre's genius behind it.

sick of these mufuckaz who know shit about the industry downtalking the goat because he's an actual producer and not just a beat-maker.

Well, I'm probably one of the biggest Dre-nutriders in here, but the last years made me skeptical..  :laugh:
I miss the days when the tracks said produced by Dre/Storch, Dre/Mel-Man, Dre/Elizondo, I wouldn't mind Dre/Batson either..
But the last couple of years we've had to do with "Produced by some hot at the moment producer", mixed by Dr.Dre.. not that it's necessarily a bad thing as Dre is ace at mixing, but it's not the same imo..
As crisp as it might sound, it's been a while since I've heard a track that blows your mind like 2001, Restless, Documentary, GRODT, etc..

the pessimism is warranted. years of detox instagrams have numbed the hearts of many a fan and made us all cold inside.

lets hope this is something to celebrate.

Word.
I'd rather be skeptical and be positively surprised, than jack the expectation level up to the maximum, and be disappointed..
Seems like Dre is going all in though, so I'm buzzing for this..  8)

thats because dre is unmotivated...so he's not giving these tracks the same attention he used to. and at the same time, beat-makers are trying to change the definition of producer for their own personal gain. so while a track like "kush" says produced by khalil, you can bet your bottom dollar that it woulda said "produced by dr. dre" in 1992 and "produced by dr. dre & dj khalil" in 1999........it's like giving credit to whoever wrote thriller over michael jackson. sure, someone else wrote it...but michael jackson brought it to life. dr. dre is michael jackson.

Blood$

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 06:29:59 PM »
lol bet it's just gonna be old songs (if it even drops)

Calilove661

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »
It will probably be a mix of some old joints, some people not part of NWA and a verse or 2 from Dre and Cube. Exciting still.

gio™fugahoo

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »
 ;D word on the streets is   ;D lol love that term
This year is the resurrection of good music

JonnyTanna

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 04:41:57 AM »
Man I spent 19 minutes listening to that interview to hear cube's opinion on Suge and all he says 'Suge is in a bad situation'. Can't blame him for being tight lipped but still they shouldn't bother putting Suge in the title. Hope the music is good Dr Dre's flow lately has been horrible. So not expecting much. It would have been great if detox had dropped when it did as he wouldn't have tuned himself for the modern fans but rather stay on his own path.

Jome

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »
thats because dre is unmotivated...so he's not giving these tracks the same attention he used to. and at the same time, beat-makers are trying to change the definition of producer for their own personal gain. so while a track like "kush" says produced by khalil, you can bet your bottom dollar that it woulda said "produced by dr. dre" in 1992 and "produced by dr. dre & dj khalil" in 1999........it's like giving credit to whoever wrote thriller over michael jackson. sure, someone else wrote it...but michael jackson brought it to life. dr. dre is michael jackson.

I totally agree.. and I wish he could find the motivation again, but BEATS headphones probably pay better than album sales..

Kush is a good example, but maybe an even better example: Busta Rhymes-Been Through The Storm (Ft. Stevie Wonder) (Produced By Sha Money XL & Black Jeruz, additional production by Dr. Dre)
That's about as good as a signature Dre-beat gets.. and even though Sha Money is a dope producer, his other beats doesn't come close to this classic beat/track.

The same goes for Scott Storch.. he's had bangers solo, but they don't have that epic touch to it as his work with Dre often did.
I think Khalil at some point said that KUSH sounded totally different before Dre started working on it, and it sounded damn near unrecognizable when they had finished it.. or maybe I'm mixing it up with another Dre-track.

Matty

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 07:28:48 AM »
'mixed' by Dre can mean anything from mixed w/ engineering touches from his peeps (see credits for Veto) to what I'd consider full production - overhaul of the beat, changing drum sounds, adding extra touches, on top of the other stuff. clearly Dre is being more generous these days with taking a mixing instead of production/co-production credit. what are the last Dre 'produced' tracks, regardless of what the credits say?

as far as I can remember he's rapping on both of them - 'The Recipe' & 'New Day'. the former is credited to Scoop DeVille but the sound is so huge it's obvious there was a bit more than 'mixing' involved. maybe some of the Slim The Mobster stuff too, namely 'Falling Star'. he's got a mixing credit on a couple of songs on the last Eminem LP, but in that case it sounds much more like a clean-up/engineering task than doing anything drastic to the sound. even in those instances, little touches often make a big difference.

likewise, with that 'Smoke' track from 50 it might be a Dre beat, but it's a hardly a production because 50 just took the track and rapped on it, without a final mix or vocal production. it sounds like an unfinished leftover, showing it's always the finishing touches that bring the sound together.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:46:55 AM by Matty »

me1

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 09:45:28 AM »
people who've heard it said there's a lot of soul, jazz, funk influence on the records 8)

seems like the beat in this trailer could be a good indicator of the type of vibe he's going for - mellow, soulful, west coast.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VeJCyLPSVVM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VeJCyLPSVVM</a>

Think that is Denaun Porter on the beat. Agreed, hope the rest has this vibe too

dnjp4life

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »
The most recent Dre production that I can think of is 'Louis XIII' from Xzibit's last album.  That was over 2 years ago now.
Can anyone think of any others since then?

CORREA

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »
sounds like dre is using the movie to put an album out but wont tour with them lol

Jimmy H.

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »
Interesting thing is you can see how he's playing it safe with the whole "Inspired by..." aspect, all those plaques and acclaim and Dre is still the same old lacking confidence in his product dude. If its a hit he'll claim credit if it goes Aftermath album status he'll poke fun at it later on.
  Or it could be the more practical marketing approach.  The original 8-Mile soundtrack featured very little music from the movie itself because the film was set in 1995 so they did the "new" music as "Inspired By" and filled it with Shady Records artists then put out more of a classic catalog compilation.  Hopefully, they go a similar direction here.

me1

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 12:08:45 AM »
I could be wrong but I'm thinking the whole "inspired by" description is for Dre to have the freedom to have the content we all want to hear without us saying "he's 50 years old!" "He's worth 750 million!" Etc. it allows him to keep the content similar to his past work without it sounding like pure fiction. Which is a good thing I guess . We'll see

Don Seer

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 12:17:27 AM »
.it's like giving credit to whoever wrote thriller over michael jackson. sure, someone else wrote it...but michael jackson brought it to life. dr. dre is michael jackson.

bad analogy.. there are demos of various MJ with him humming, beat boxing and scating the lyrics.. couldn't find one for thriller apart from this, which isn;'t that rough

beat it is a good example of his process
as is his (probably not really drunk) billy jean demo  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8reGEben0g0

Don Seer

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 12:18:59 AM »
I could be wrong but I'm thinking the whole "inspired by" description is for Dre to have the freedom to have the content we all want to hear without us saying "he's 50 years old!" "He's worth 750 million!" Etc. it allows him to keep the content similar to his past work without it sounding like pure fiction. Which is a good thing I guess . We'll see

not a bad idea. BUT this is Dre, its been SIXTEEN years since dre 2001 came out and we've teased so much all faith has been lost.

my bert: it'll be a bunch of old n.w.a. stuff, some other stuff from that era, plus a few tracks from some new cats that dont fit but are in the credits and movie somewhere

Sccit

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 01:37:31 AM »
.it's like giving credit to whoever wrote thriller over michael jackson. sure, someone else wrote it...but michael jackson brought it to life. dr. dre is michael jackson.

bad analogy.. there are demos of various MJ with him humming, beat boxing and scating the lyrics.. couldn't find one for thriller apart from this, which isn;'t that rough

beat it is a good example of his process
as is his (probably not really drunk) billy jean demo  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8reGEben0g0

Think you're missin my point .. Think of the lyrics as the beat. Michael Jackson didn't write thriller, just like Dre didn't write a lot of his beats. But you give MJ those lyrics, and he'll bring it to life+get the best out of it. Just like you give Dre a beat and he brings it to life+gets the best out of it. The lyrics to Thriller coulda been given to any other artist and it wouldn't have been half as good as when MJ did it. Just like the beat to Aint No Fun coulda been given to any producer, and wouldn't have been half as good the same way. That's what geniuses do.