Author Topic: Drake - "Back To Back" (Meek Mill Diss)  (Read 2296 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Drake - "Back To Back" (Meek Mill Diss)
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »

is ice cube no longer respected as an emcee because short khop used to ghostwrite for him?

is nas no longer respected as an emcee because large professor admitted he would edit his rhymes?

is ghostface no longer a respected emcee because he admitted raekwon wrote some of his rhymes?

snoop, eazy, and cube still one of the top west coast rappers ever.

no one cares, mdoggy...u doin too much.

I don't personally care much for who wrote what for who and who wrote it themselves. Its what you're [raised for. Its like Whitney not writing I Will Always Love You. She was never heralded for the story of the song, but for her ability to hit the right notes at the right time. Snoop's lyrics were never profound enough to matter if he wrote them. It was his style of rapping that made him a star. Even if Tupac didn't write Hit Em Up (not that anyone is making that accusation) it takes more talent to rap it the way he did than it does to write those rhymes.

But Drake? He's simply not very good. I find it a joke that he needs concept tracks because the tracks suck. And people need to stop with all thw bullshit of him being successful. He's not! Given all his media hypoe and twitter following he still can't get over 2 million sales. 3 albums 4 million total sales. Don't blame the age, or the new market, blame the shit that's being sold as music. One of the biggest stars in music and he can't sell more than Dogg Food? Give Daz and Kurupt the kind of media attention Drake gets and they'd have gone diamond.

The kid can't even pack up the skydome. Bruce Springsteen is 3 times Drake's age, was never pushed by the media as hard as Drake is now, releases a compilation album of unreleased songs, none are hits, tours half the number of cities and generates almost two times the revenue with lower ticket prices. You know why? Because more people come to see talent than will ever come to see hype.

Drake's at his absolute peak and this is the best he can do? He's a 100% media creation. These millions upon millions of fans and followers he has don't even like him enough to buy his albums.

One the grand scheme of things, I agree. Here is the thing though, it's 2015. It's about living in the now. I listen to old music, and I listen to new music. Only 2 rappers today really grab my attention, that's J. Cole and K Dot. But social media is dominated by Drake and Meek Mill, so I put my ear to the battle and I was not impressed by the music at all, but the moves of Drake. Now let's 100, when K Dot dropped Control, the whole Hip-Hop universe  wanted Drake to respond, and he dropped a subliminal diss, and when K Dot responded with a couple of little jabs Drake tucked his tail and said they were friends. So I'm not saying Drake is an all-time great. But for today, Drake has got his first true Hip-Hop win against a very weak so-called street rapper. It's like LeBron finally winning with Bosh and Wade, I mean, it will go on the resume, it gets the monkey off his back, but at the end of the day it wouldn't put him on Mt. Rushmore. Drake in many ways is like the LeBron of rap, he can make good music, and some think he's the best of his generation, but somethings missing to bring him to that next level and in any other era he wouldn't be the best. The difference is that Drake has J. Cole and K Dot to shine above him and keep the real heads satisfied well Drake goes and gets the mainstream attention.

Efrain

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »
A couple points on this controversy:

• Drake didn't use a "ghostwriter", he hired another writer to help with the song, Quentin Miller. Quentin Miller is credited in the booklet for that song. Not exactly hiding the fact someone else helped
  • Quentin Miller says he didn't ghostwrite anything, that him and Drake collaborated on a few songs and that IYRTITL was essentially done when he started working with them
  • Other great rappers/lyricists have been accused of this too, and with actual ghostwriters (non-credited writers). Cormega wrote Nas's most famous quotable "Life's a bitch god forbid the bitch divorce me."
  • Meek is pretty wack (just sayin') and this whole thing started because Drake wouldn't tweet Meek's album... that might be the dumbest reason for a beef in hip hop history

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »
A couple points on this controversy:

• Drake didn't use a "ghostwriter", he hired another writer to help with the song, Quentin Miller. Quentin Miller is credited in the booklet for that song. Not exactly hiding the fact someone else helped
  • Quentin Miller says he didn't ghostwrite anything, that him and Drake collaborated on a few songs and that IYRTITL was essentially done when he started working with them
  • Other great rappers/lyricists have been accused of this too, and with actual ghostwriters (non-credited writers). Cormega wrote Nas's most famous quotable "Life's a bitch god forbid the bitch divorce me."
  • Meek is pretty wack (just sayin') and this whole thing started because Drake wouldn't tweet Meek's album... that might be the dumbest reason for a beef in hip hop history

Nah, I think caught feelings over Drake's Rico verse. Drake smashed Nikki, the whole world knows it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »

Bruce Springsteen????
Come on shallow, the 80s is like vintage now.....

I'm talking about his 2014 tour. Not the 80s.

My mother listens to him, I'll ask her about it...

His old stuff is phenomenal.  But his current stuff isn't relevant or successful. My point is that a way past his prime senior citizen can generate more money than the biggest acts in modern music. I assure you that no one in their mid 60s who where big in the 50s was generating anything close to what the stars of the 80s were doing in the 80s.

The reason is simple; the stars of the 80s had enough talent and hits to keep the old dogs at bay. Today's stars don't have enough of either, thus there is enough current people that would rather go see an old act and not spend the money on a current one. Because the current acts simply do not resonate with the masses. The hits and revenue simply isn't there.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »

Bruce Springsteen????

His old stuff is phenomenal.  But his current stuff isn't relevant or successful. My point is that a way past his prime senior citizen can generate more money than the biggest acts in modern music. I assure you that no one in their mid 60s who where big in the 50s was generating anything close to what the stars of the 80s were doing in the 80s.

The reason is simple; the stars of the 80s had enough talent and hits to keep the old dogs at bay. Today's stars don't have enough of either, thus there is enough current people that would rather go see an old act and not spend the money on a current one. Because the current acts simply do not resonate with the masses. The hits and revenue simply isn't there.

The dangerous thing with that statement is my teacher said the same thing in the 90's about how 90's music sucks and 60's and 70's artist were more talented. Now the 90's are seen as the old school talented artist.

Game-Won

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2015, 12:28:24 PM »
How long to Game speaks on it? aint like him not to get involved  ::)
"I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses."
- Kobe

Sccit

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »

Bruce Springsteen????

The dangerous thing with that statement is my teacher said the same thing in the 90's about how 90's music sucks and 60's and 70's artist were more talented. Now the 90's are seen as the old school talented artist.

90s was the golden era or rap....jazz was 60s, rock was 70s, funk/disco was 80s...00s was the golden era for edm, and 10s is not yet decided.

Blood$

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »
Dreams Worth More Than Money > Drake's entire catalog

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »

Bruce Springsteen????

For starters I said 80s for a reason. The 90s was the beginning of the end. Where the older acts started creeping in. Yet still the 90s had their fair share of massive stars and albums from Whitney to Celine to Nirvana to Garth Brooks to Shania and Alanis. We're talking plenty of diamond albums those years. Yet still the older acts were making a resurgence.

In the 80s the top 5 tours were from first to fifth Pink Floyd, MJ, Rolling Stones, Bowie, and Springsteen. None of those acts were over 10 to 15 years out of their prime. In the 90's it was the Stones twice, Pink Floyd, U2, and MJ. We start to see the yesteryear stars take over the current ones buy we still have modern acts with modern hit albums in the mix. By the 2000s we have Stones, Madonna, U2, Police, Stones. And so far in the 10s it's U2, Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, AC DC, Madonna and Springsteen. The first decade so far where the top 5 is compiled entirely of acts with no modern relevant album to go with the tour.

It's a joke that these clowns like Drake Kanye Jay etc think they're the biggest stars in the biz when they can't even combine sales to go Diamond or break into the top 5 tours.

Furthermore I'm speaking stardom and success not quality. While I won't say much for the last 15 years. No one looks back and studies the 90's and says the music had no talent. And even back the there were plenty of non pop acts contributing to the art.

Blood$

« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2015, 07:36:49 AM »
reality VS social media:

Sccit

« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
reality VS social media:

it's a mill show, what u expect?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »
reality VS social media:

it's a mill show, what u expect?

If I were Meek and as good as he claims he is I would just set up a battle in Toronto. If Drake really can't rhyme at all and needs everything written for him then Meek should be able to come out on top and save face.

Of course if Drake really is a product of songwriters then he just won't accept the battle to begin with.