Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49126 times)

gfunkin2

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
Gave it a quick listen.

Liking It's All On Me for it' west coast classic sound and Animals for its east coast classic sound. Maybe a dumb question but have Dre and Primo collabed before?

Mr. Theo

« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »
digesting the album some more and tbh it's getting more dissapointing. i get what he's trying to do but the direction isn't really my thing, not mellow, funky or musical enough. but as far as doing a 2015 angry, aggressive NWA inspired album, sure, it nails it. plenty of great moments but too many trap beats for my liking. and some of his flows are similar to the more dubious detox leaks. it's 'classic' enough next to a lot of the music coming out nowadays, but that isn't saying much. will get into more detail later.

Matty, you said all!!!

bumped it once. Sounds like a kendrick album and I find his new rap style to be annoying (Kendricks). too bad he's on this. Definitely a more fast tempo aggressive feel to the album rather than some catchy smooth stuff with hardly any melodies that make you bop your head. Good for the peeps who dig Kendrick lamar. I understand why Dre did it like this, it is 2015 but damn a few catchy bangers would have been nice.

Dre jumped in the bandwagon...

But OK, he got some classics in this Compton thing

At least he left 50 cent out.. thanks Dre!!!

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

Macdaddy_93

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
Boring. Gonna spend the evening listening to Safe & Sound.
"Now i'm the mack daddy, had he, not known about the city where I'm from, dum diddy dum"

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
Gave it a quick listen.

Liking It's All On Me for it' west coast classic sound and Animals for its east coast classic sound. Maybe a dumb question but have Dre and Primo collabed before?

No
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2015, 12:57:08 PM »
Aside from the actual music, what does everyone think about the mixing of it?

I can't tell if I like the way it's mixed -- it's very, very detailed and clear, and you can hear all the parts in each track
and it does bump, but I do miss the big hard hitting snares of his previous work and how he used to mix piano chords so they
sounded huge, etc...

Mr. Theo

« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »

hahahhahaha Safe+Sound is too classic to compare.

Don't go too far

Book of David beats this new Dre..
even with Gift Reynolds on it.

Issues,Animalz,Diary,Loose Cannons....I should Dre have stayed on that lane

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

Chef_YRD

« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2015, 01:11:08 PM »

hahahhahaha Safe+Sound is too classic to compare.

Don't go too far

Book of David beats this new Dre..
even with Gift Reynolds on it.

Issues,Animalz,Diary,Loose Cannons....I should Dre have stayed on that lane

Go forget the midnight life theo...it's too soon to compare to his old albums but I listened to Compton then threw on some headphones and played TML in its entirety...for some reason the progression of the sounds in "back that shit up" really was hitting hard
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

DSOD2476

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
I am 38 years old and excited for hip hop for the first time in many years.  The new album comibines the past, present and future all bundled into a cohesive project.  A year from now this will be hailed as ahead of its time and  Dre will be once again your favorite producers favorite producer.  What surprised me was the lyricism and its more grown up vibe- almost a political statement album instead of the bitches, hoes, and weed mantra from the past.  The complexity of many of the songs structures are very unorthodox but work well.  Every listen yields new sounds that evolve throughout each track if you don't let the bass drown it out.  There is something for everybody on this album which was clever of Dre for his final masterpiece.  If you were expecting 2001 Part 2 I can see how maybe only 1 or 2 tracks stick out- The 2001 sound was dope but there is only so many original melodic loops you can make using 2-3 keys and 2-3 guitar chords and same Dre drums that he has used up until the last 4 years.  He broadened his musical influences and instrumentation. 

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
I'm all for artists doing something new, but I don't see much "past" in this, it's too far into the present to me.  I would like more of a balance.  Old school artists don't need to sound current and it sounds stupid when they do.  LL Cool J has been doing a great job of balancing the old and the new lately.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Chitown

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2015, 01:57:48 PM »
.I'm back after a quick power nap. I heard it from top to bottom. This record is not his best. Let's keep it 100. It's very trap influenced. Mr. Theo and I was right. Gone is a tight track tho.I'm gonna call it like I hear it...Quik Midnight Life is a better record. Someone mentioned Getter earlier, Getter is the shit. Pet Smetar alone shit's on every track on Compton. The Book of David is a harder record than this shit. Dre, is dead as a wrong for this release.Alot of the traks were Coproduced tho. Sounds like Dre is a big fan of Zaytoven and the whole trap sound. I fucks wit trap music. He might as well had Mike will produce the whole record. Also, Relapse imo is Dre's grand finale. Or it could be a fluke and he could release Detox still next Friday wit the movie release...Busta Big Bang..Relapse..and both Kendrick records shit on this sountrack. This is a review from someone who knows Dre's music. He might a done something he thought was good for the yungins..but he compromised his sound..quik don't have to do that...a migos record has more bangers...smh...I'm pissed...the beats on Kingdom Come by Jay-Z were harder...the vibe he had on Imagine wit snoop was a great approach. Also....my favorite recent Dre track is 2nite wit Jeremih...Dre fucks wit the Chi...nothing but talent back home. On another note out of all the leaks over the recent years...who's your daddy reference by bishop was that shit..epic as beat wit the live drums Dre spoke about in 08..09..I'm ghost.good effort for the trap fans

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »
You really think that MOST people were like "hey bro did you like the Still D.R.E. track? ...Nah bro It was too simple with only 2 piano notes" LOL!! That's comical ha. As if everyone in the streets is an expert producer or musical engineer ha.

You don't need to be an expert producer to know that the track mainly goes "ching ching ching ching ching ching ching ching" throughout the
entire track, anyone who had functioning ears at the time could hear it, it's the loudest part of the track.

After all the dope melodies that were on The Chronic and Doggystyle, it seemed like a big step back for fans of Dre's earlier work.
After waiting 7 years from the Chronic to 2001, the first thing fans heard was this "ching ching ching ching" track.
I can tell you for a fact that loads of hip-hop heads were disappointed.

It did well with casual music fans on the radio, but then so did "I Need A Doctor"...

Don't get me wrong, it is a dope track and one of the few really good tracks on the album, but you can't pretend that it was what
people were anticipating at the time, it was a big WTF for a lot of people.
You aso don't need the beat to be "complex" for it to be tight. Most people just go based on what they hear and whether they think it's dope or not. They aren't breaking down the fucking the beat to the T. I can understand how some might not have liked it but to say that MOST were thinking like you is FALSE. Unless you have a nation wide poll or proof in any form, there is no way anyone will believe that. Especially considering the amount of hits on the radio, sales and chart numbers. Not to mention that fact that I lived the time and saw the impact first hand. UNless you were living under a rock or another part of the country, it makes no sense based on what I mentioned.

It's also fucking STRANGE that you're using the "ching,ching.ching" example as if people were hating on that lol. That's what MOST PEOPLE THOUGHT WAS DOPE. That's what was catchy about the track. You weren't able to hear the beats behind that? That wasn't the only part of the song. If anything, that "ching" beat is what makes it recognizable to everyone who considers it a classic.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:11:06 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

B.A.

« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »
It's a good album but I agree with those that are a disappointed. Compton isn't classic, it isn't game changing or "Next Level" like some are throwing around, it's good but Dre could have released a good album each year ever since he announced Detox, it needed to be better than good.

I honestly believe that if Straight Outta Compton wasn't coming out Dre's album wouldn't have came out either. The way I feel about it isn't that much different from the way I was feeling about his Detox leaks from before, cool, some better than others but not that instant classic, game changing shit that you'd expect from Dre, especially with the huge hype surrounding it. What they did was smart as fuck though, they marketed the shit out of it, like no other! From Dre saying that everything he was working on before was not good enough and now he's motivated, re-energized and confidant, blah, blah, blah... all that is just game and building up hype and a smart move. Do you really believe that in the last decade Dre never had 15 dope tracks to put out a proper album with??? Get the fuck outta here with that noise. What was missing was hype, buzz, a big machine driving the album to the status that a Dre album is expected to have, that's what Dre didn't have these past shitload of years when he was trying to put out an album. Finally working on something that he was feeling and that he believed was good enough, nah hell no, don't believe that shit for a minute, finally a perfect moment to release an album and make the most money out of it ABSOLUTELY! that was the motivation, finally a timely album to release.

The album may not have been the best decision musically, that's obvious from the mixed reviews and obvious let down from what the hype was leading us to believe, BUT IT WAS THE BEST FINANCIAL DECISION. No matter what type of music Dre put out and no matter if it would have been released 10 years ago, 5 years ago or if it would have been released next year, it wouldn't have mattered, there was no more perfect of a moment to release the album then right now in conjunction with the movie. You got the director, actors, featuring artist, Dre, Apple/i-Tunes, etc. all pushing the fuck outta the album, when else would this have happened? They kept it under wraps so there wouldn't be any mixed reviews before it actually dropped, they got the who's who of assholes talking about, "game over", "about to press the reset button on all the bullshit that you thought was dope", I know I aint quoting it right but you know what I'm sayin, all that hype everyone was throwing around. Most people believed that shit though, there's people all over this board talking about, "but he's finally motivated", "he wasn't feeling none of the music he had done before", "the movie inspired him", "the music is on another level", that's what the fuck they told you and wanted you to believe.

That's why i think the music isn't up to where it should be, if it wasn't for this perfect moment, Compton wouldn't have came out either. It is what it is and it aint what it aint. Brilliant marketing on their part, the best I've seen for any album and the music is good but not what it coulda/shoulda been.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:34:10 PM by B.A. »
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

Chitown

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »
Do I dare say a Rick Ross album is better? I'm hoping maybe Detox will eventually drop in the near future cuz Dre can't go out in this fashion. I've heard mixtapes that were better. If this was a rush job I can see, but, dam this ain't a good look. One word..Relapse pidd

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
Well after listening sober ;D all day in car, home theatre (w/ sub), headphones this shit knocks.  Haven't heard the sub work that hard in awhile, fucking bangs.

This album is on a cinematic level - like IMAX.  I love how tempo and instrumentals change throughout many of the songs .. refreshing to hear.  

I was expecting a deeply personal and introspective album and was not disappointed.  This is what grown up rap sounds like.  DRE is way past gang banging shit on The Chronic so why do some of yall expcect that?

Dre used his power to make some interesting social commentary and speak on some shit.  Like someone else said... the word "classic" has to come with time... but I think everyone gonna jump on the bandwagon a year from now when your favourite producer and rapper say this is was one of their favourite albums.

Also don't forget... top rap magazines like THE SOURCE released an apology a few years later and changed their 4/star review to 5 (2001 review).  So did Hiphopsite.com and I believe there were more.  Most great art never gets fully realized until  much later in time...

5/stars for me  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  I can actually listen to EVERY song on the album and enjoy it.  Extremely rare.  We will see if classic status comes with time and legend.
http://www.metacritic.com/music/compton/dr-dre

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:47:59 PM by WalterOhDim »

Chitown

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »
Well after listening sober ;D all day in car, home theatre (w/ sub), headphones this shit knocks.  Haven't heard the sub work that hard in awhile, fucking bangs.

This album is on a cinematic level - like IMAX.  I love how tempo and instrumentals change throughout many of the songs .. refreshing to hear.  

I was expecting a deeply personal and introspective album and was not disappointed.  This is what grown up rap sounds like.  DRE is way past gang banging shit on The Chronic so why do some of yall expcect that?

Dre used his power to make some interesting social commentary and speak on some shit.  Like someone else said... the word "classic" has to come with time... but I think everyone gonna jump on the bandwagon a year from now when your favourite producer and rapper say this is was one of their favourite albums.

Also don't forget... top rap magazines like THE SOURCE released an apology a few years later and changed their 4/star review to 5 (2001 review).  So did Hiphopsite.com and I believe there were more.  Most great art never gets fully realized until  much later in time...

5/stars for me  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  I can actually listen to EVERY song on the album and enjoy it.  Extremely rare.  Classic status will come with time and legend.
http://www.metacritic.com/music/compton/dr-dre

I respect your opinion...shit is knocking something serious..but how is it we knew BOD by Quik was a classic from the jump? When I heard Chronic 2001 the first time...I was smoking a blunt and from the moment that loud as intro came on I knew it was a classic...this record is missing some skits too...gotta have skits on a Dre joint..it will have to grow on people..the mix is tight..that's to be expected!!!!!!