Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49116 times)

Chitown

• Lil Geezy
Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »
We've been hearing the last 16 years, Dre was doing some new techniques on his new shit...Don't get carried away is a perfect example. That beat switched up on Nas verse wit added instrumentation. That Obie trice beat wit the Congos was epic too, the one wit Nate Dogg. I produce music..so I'm listening from that angle...it's nothing game changing like the tracks I just mentioned. When I first heard Ghetto Life I knew that was classic...shit was tough. Relapse was a whole nother level. Still that mix holds weight all these years later

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2015, 02:49:13 PM »

I respect your opinion...shit is knocking something serious..but how is it we knew BOD by Quik was a classic from the jump? When I heard Chronic 2001 the first time...I was smoking a blunt and from the moment that loud as intro came on I knew it was a classic...this record is missing some skits too...gotta have skits on a Dre joint..it will have to grow on people..the mix is tight..that's to be expected!!!!!!

Sorry I meant to say we will see if it gets "classic status" with time... that label comes on down the road.  I think "classic" is an overall consensus from the public.

Will_B

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
A year from now this will be hailed as ahead of its time

But only a year ahead?

Chitown

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »

I respect your opinion...shit is knocking something serious..but how is it we knew BOD by Quik was a classic from the jump? When I heard Chronic 2001 the first time...I was smoking a blunt and from the moment that loud as intro came on I knew it was a classic...this record is missing some skits too...gotta have skits on a Dre joint..it will have to grow on people..the mix is tight..that's to be expected!!!!!!

Sorry I meant to say we will see if it gets "classic status" with time... that label comes on down the road.  I think "classic" is an overall consensus from the public.

We just expected some game changer..like I stated before 2nite is my favorite leak this year..Dre came wit it on that joint..my lady likes that song too

Will_B

« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
If I can make it through the album I'll drop some track scores

Chitown

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »
If I can make it through the album I'll drop some track scores

Please do

CORREA

« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
wow i guess the 1 minded retards are now giving their opinions on this album  :D

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2015, 03:35:49 PM »

We just expected some game changer..like I stated before 2nite is my favorite leak this year..Dre came wit it on that joint..my lady likes that song too

Game changer comes with time.  You can't just label or not label an album that 1 day after its release.  I remember listening to 2001 like many others and thinking WTF is this shit? Lots of people felt that way when it first dropped.

Then some time later.. perception changed.  Producer after producer was copying the new "DRE" sound.

We will see. 

bigpimpin20

« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »
great soundtrack, thought itll be similar to Pimp Butterfly and its completely different but  shit is still fire, funny thing i didnt recognized Snoops at first on that One Shot track. Dre sounds turned up by the movie, cool to see him really feelin and enjoyin what hes doin right now
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:51:34 PM by bigpimpin20 »

LostAngel

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I believe Dr.Dre should own Compton...
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2015, 04:34:12 PM »
I just got in off the 3rd shift. Will give my full opinion after I take a power nap.  This has been 16 years in the making. From what I've heard so far..this is one of them joints that will have to grow on the masses. He should still drop Detox though imo

not really 16years in the making...

after Detox was scrapped(2012-2013)

this album was produced in 2013-2015.

Only "old" songs are "Loose Cannons" "Talk to My Diary"

my album review in a few minutes...

Actually they've recorded Loose Cannons few weeks back.
I believe Dr.Dre should own Compton, Dr.Dre said X Man you're onto somethig...

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
Those who don't like this album should go listen to Public Enemy's new album.  You'll feel better.  It goes hard.

I'm the last one who wants to hear about bitches & hoes & guns again, and I'm glad Dre's bein real with his lyrics.  I just don't like the beats and guests and all that singing.  But looking back, he's had a good amount of guests on all his albums, so that's nothing new.

Also, as soon as I hear that Southern style slow shit, I skip it.  And this album has a few of those. No west coast artists should be doin that, especially now.  Hate it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:41:46 PM by dp »
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
I want to hear the instrumental version of this album. 50 will create some good tracks over these beats, thats for sure.

Also pretty much all of the vocal performances from the people on the tracks are "different" shall we say and sometimes get in the way of the instrumentation. I thought I'd been given a fake rip when the 2nd track kicked in as it sounded like a standard modern generic wack rap track and nowhere near Dres level.  Album picks up in the middle a bit I was expecting lush cinematic vibes.

As I said before this is going to go Aftermath Presents... status and Dre will poke fun at it in his next album where he'll be a 60 year old dude talking about weed. Why can't these rappers get it into their heads to be more multidimensional and rhyme about other things instead of the usual guns, bitches, repping the set, weed, money, haters and fame? It's like that flash cartoon of Dre in the spelling bee ages ago:

He should have followed up with The Great Chronic and You A Chronic Motherfucker Doctor Drizzay like originally planned...

escowino

« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »
My expectations were really low for this. After hearing recent stuff Dre put out like the song from Marsha Ambrosis album with the Jeru the Damaja beat, that song "3 Kings" with Rick Ross & Jay-Z, that song with Jeramiah and Kendrick, the "Compton" song from Kendricks "Good Kid, Maad City" album ect... I kinda knew this album wasn't gonna be some west coast gangsta shit or the kinda stuff old school fans like me would wish for (I did like the track from Xzibits "Napalm" album that Dre produced though, also "The Recipe" and "Smoke" from 50's album btw). And even before all this, I thought the soundtrack Dre would be involved with the NWA movie would have old school NWA hits plus maybe a couple new songs. I mean I already resigned to the fact that "Relapse", as some others have said, is kinda like the last great Dre production (I love the beats on that album). So my expectations aren't like a lot of people who think its gonna be as west coast as someone like DJ Quik, or like it's gonna be a new "Chronic", "2001", "Doggystyle" ect... I mean Dre is like 50 years old, a billionaire, famous, he hasn't regularly hung out in the hood for decades. He hasn't really made the kind of West Coast gangsta beats y'all really want for years man. So how y'all expect he'll magically do it now. I mean, the songs mentioned at top and "I Need A Doctor" ect. come on.

Then the tracklist is revealed, 3 tracks were with this teenager from Texas, so I checked out his stuff on youtube with an open mind and thought the stuff I saw on there was wack as fuck!!!!! 4 Marsha Ambrosis features. Heard some of the other features are R&B, oh no. No MC Ren, thumbs down. I'm thinking, this gonna be some of that commercial, mainstream style, kinda like bullshit that's popular right now. Not having very high expectations for this. But its Dr. Dre, and a lot of his wack shit is more interesting than anything popular out nowadays, plus he's part of that big commercial machine, where he won't go against the bullshit that's popular nowadays that sells. So that's my mindset coming into this.

First off excited that the whole album is all new music! Fuck Yeah!! At least Dr. Dre is releasing a new album, shit I don't care what it is, at least its out! Then I'm listening to this, thinking I'm gonna hear "I Need A Doctor" type songs, and from the expectations I described above to what is "Compton" album, I was surprised it wasn't that wack. Compared to my expectations this album is fucking sick. Compared to commercial music nowadays, this album is awesome. Much more than I expected. I wasn't expecting this to change rap music, or bring a new gangsta west coast sound. I was grateful that Ice Cube, Cold 187, Xzibit, Snoop Dogg, The Game, Eminem were featured and that Dre collaborated with Primo! The new rappers didn't come off as wack as I thought. So looking through the eyes of nowadays, I gotta say this album is great!! Now for the complaints, I don't really like R&B, so I don't like all the singing throughout the album. Only singing I can stand is Kokane, Butch Cassidy, Latoiya Williams, Nancy Fletcher. I don't like the beats on "Talk About It' and "Deep Water", it sounds like that wack Trap beats that my teenage neighbors listen to, with the bass too heavy.

This album is excellent for what Dre is nowadays. Its not just unique to him, in rock if the remaining Led Zeppelin got back together they couldn't make as good of music as their heyday. Black Sabbath released an album with Ozzy after like 35 years and it can't match the classic stuff. No artist that's been around as long as Dre can put out stuff that will be as impactful as their heyday. If someone has a "change the game/bring the west back" album, it has to be someone new in the future, not a 50 year old artist.

Matty

« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2015, 05:20:51 PM »
I want to hear the instrumental version of this album. 50 will create some good tracks over these beats, thats for sure.

Also pretty much all of the vocal performances from the people on the tracks are "different" shall we say and sometimes get in the way of the instrumentation. I thought I'd been given a fake rip when the 2nd track kicked in as it sounded like a standard modern generic wack rap track and nowhere near Dres level.  Album picks up in the middle a bit I was expecting lush cinematic vibes.

As I said before this is going to go Aftermath Presents... status and Dre will poke fun at it in his next album where he'll be a 60 year old dude talking about weed. Why can't these rappers get it into their heads to be more multidimensional and rhyme about other things instead of the usual guns, bitches, repping the set, weed, money, haters and fame? It's like that flash cartoon of Dre in the spelling bee ages ago:

He should have followed up with The Great Chronic and You A Chronic Motherfucker Doctor Drizzay like originally planned...

any word on the new X album? really interested to hear what else him and the Doc came up with throughout all those sessions.

andre

« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2015, 05:24:43 PM »
Snoop Doggs flow on ''One Shot One Kill''