Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49086 times)

PLANT

This album is fucking awesome

Beats are amazing

Kendrick kills it, eminem kills it, even Dre sounds fresh

Snoop sounds crazy on one shot kill, never heard him like that before

The game track is a straight west coast banger!

Hooks and melodies are dope

Amazing album....thank you Dr. Dre

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
Awesome album, I think I like it a bit more than 2001... (which had several stone-cold classic tracks, but also quite a few skippable tracks)
Not as great as The Chronic though, but I didn't expect it to be...

Best tracks, 10/10: "One Shot One Kill", "All In a Day’s Work", "Just Another Day", "Genocide"

Great tracks, 9/10: "Talking To My Diary", "Loose Cannons", "Issues"

Good tracks, 8/10: "Animals", "Darkside/Gone", "Deep Water", "For the Love of Money", "Satisfiction"

Didn't really like these tracks: "Medicine Man", "It’s All On Me", "Talk About It"

LOL
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

PLANT

Love hearing Dre on "All in a Days Work"

"Best believe I'm in the BUILDING!!"  8) 8)

mrkmaidog

Fucking Good Ass album!!! Diggin everything i heard so far.
Will there be Actual CDs sold at Best Buy, Target etc...??? I need an actual CD with the booklet etc...

Suga Foot

Thoughts after first listen.

1.  I kinda don't want to see production credits for this.  I'm cool just knowing Dre had his hands on everything.  If it were 1994 every song would just say produced by Dr. Dre anyway.
2.  I'm trying not to compare it to his previous albums.  It's weird because the album just came out of the blue.  2001 had a long build up to the album release (live performances, guest production etc).
3.  I'm glad it feels like an album.  There's a common energy/vibe in all the songs.  I like that.
4.  A few of the hooks do walk the line of being corny.
5.  Bone Thugs sample is tight.
6.  Not sure that it met my expectations.  It went right when I was thinking left.  Not a let down, just not what I was expecting. 
7.  New (to me) artists on this sound cool.  I wish Kurupt was on it tho. 

Matty

Will there be Actual CDs sold at Best Buy, Target etc...??? I need an actual CD with the booklet etc...

i saw 21st somewhere for CDs i think, so 2 weeks from now. seems about right.

Suga Foot

Just put on my Beats™ Studio Headphones.  This is probably the best sounding album I've ever heard.

Marco

iTunes version is out... 8)
West Coast Connection // www.dubcnn.com/connect // West Coast Connection

Matty

cant believe they sampled this guy, smh

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
The overall sound of the album dissapoints me a great deal ... Dre misses the likes of Storch , Elizondo or even Batson a lot ...

Beats lack "musicality" and melodies ... It's like Compton dropped in 1999 and 2001 in 2015

I won't even talk about some of the trap flows  :-X

mrkmaidog

i saw 21st somewhere for CDs i think, so 2 weeks from now. seems about right.

Thanks... lbuy the i-tunes tmw then the movie next friday & actual cds in stores the friday after. August is a GOOD month. Hoping the actual cds will have bonus cuts not on i-tunes such as a Best Buy exclusive etc....

Suga Foot

Beats lack "musicality" and melodies ... It's like Compton dropped in 1999 and 2001 in 2015

I feel opposite.  I always felt let down by the simplicity of a lot of the 2001 era beats compared to his early/mid 90's stuff.  This sounds more complex.  It's interesting.  It's the type of thing you can pick up new sounds every time you listen.

PLANT

Just put on my Beats™ Studio Headphones.  This is probably the best sounding album I've ever heard.
I'm thinking the same thing

Listening to iTunes version now, quality much better than the stream!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:39:41 PM by PLANT »

Matty

Just put on my Beats™ Studio Headphones.  This is probably the best sounding album I've ever heard.
I'm thinking the same thing

Listening to iTunes version now, quality much better than the stream!

8) bumping full quality now. then i really gotta go to bed ;D

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
It's a good album but it's too strained for my taste.  It's definitely Dre's "heaviest" solo album.  I prefer lithe, carefree music that you can just grove too, which of course was one of the beauties of G-Funk.  You can tell that Kendrick Lamar's approach to album-construction has deeply influenced and shaped Dre in this era.  This is by turns the most intellectual Dre album, so if that's your cup of tea, you'll happily drink this up.

Production-wise, of course the studio-craft sonically on display here is impecable, which is to be expected, but Dre hasn't been in his prime for decades now (imo it was early to mid 90s).  Then again, I wasn't hoping for anything more than "Michael Jordan on the Wizards" level of quality from the GOAT producer.  Still, this isn't a game-changer like Dre's best work.

All in all, it's a good album, certainly not a typical dated sounding album by an old, washed up rapper.  In fact, this is very modern, if not an attempt to push modernism forward a bit.  But two things: 1) again, the tone and tempos are not really my steez and I agree there's not much music built around core melodies on this album and 2) this sounds like the kind of album Dre could put out every couple years if he were hungry enough to actually consistently make music.

But it doesn't matter; Dre's legacy has been cemented for a long time, and this won't alter it in any either direction, better or worse.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:29:16 PM by Detox Is A Myth!!! »
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.