Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49045 times)

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
It's a good album but it's too strained for my taste.  It's definitely Dre's "heaviest" solo album.  I prefer lithe, carefree music that you can just grove too, which of course was one of the beauties of G-Funk.  You can tell that Kendrick Lamar's approach to album-construction has deeply influenced and shaped Dre in this era.  This is by turns the most intellectual Dre album, so if that's your cup of tea, you'll happily drink this up.

Production-wise, of course the studio-craft sonically on display here is impecable, which is to be expected, but Dre hasn't been in his prime for decades now (imo it was early to mid 90s).  Then again, I wasn't hoping for anything more than "Michael Jordan on the Wizards" level of quality from the GOAT producer.  Still, this isn't a game-changer like Dre's best work.

All in all, it's a good album, certainly not a typical dated sounding album by an old, washed up rapper.  In fact, this is very modern, if not an attempt to push modernism forward a bit.  But two things: 1) again, the tone and tempos are not really my steez and I agree there's not much music built around core melodies on this album and 2) this sounds like the kind of album Dre could put out every couple years if he were hungry enough to actually consistently make music.

But it doesn't matter; Dre's legacy has been cemented for a long time, and this won't alter it in any either direction, better or worse.

GHEA sorry Detox is a Myth this album is fucking sick and will be cemented in DRES legacy.  Enjoy it or check yourself before you wreck youself.... HAahhah

Shiram619

• Lil Geezy
The album is banging.... the beats are pretty crazy and musically just up there.

I agree that it does not have the Radio Friendly joints as 2001 did but in all honesty this album beats the shit out of anything thats been put out in the last five-six years easy....

I think this album is going to grow on everyone even more within the next few days.... Genocide & For the Love of Money Remix are slammin

Do you guys think the album will continue to get mad press/good reviews/vibes?

It's nice to see the focus back on DRE and the West!

Dogg Ly Dogg

Well well well, I need to listen more deeply because so far I can't give a proper opinion...
All I can say is that Anderson .Paak is annoying to my ears and Dre should be glad that K.Dot is on his team because his delivery on this album is amazing

mrkmaidog

Dre should've got Bone Thugs for "For The Love Of Money." The trap sound to it was dope, BUT can never top the BONE original with EAZY.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
FUCK!

Why didn't Cube or Snoop rap on that Premier track smh?? The more I listen to it the more pissed I get! That shit was sick!
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Triple OG Rapsodie

Had to come back to the dub when I heard the album dropped  8)

Five songs in and really liking the sound and production. Dre's flow is pretty unusual for him. The album sounds heavily influenced by Kendrick, which could be both a good and bad thing.

b.laden

never been a big fan of Dr Dre and his friends , i cant stand eminem but at least the album sound original and fresh. so far there are a few dope songs i feel   like Deep Water and talking to my diary
the west in on top right now and was on top before this album  ;D

SoCo

• 'G'
I wish Loose Cannons used the beat from Xzibit's verse throughout the whole song 8)

soopa-man

Loose cannons, one shot one kill, issues is my shit, those go hard as fuck! Medicine Man is what I expected "Detox" to sound like... cool to see that Premier and Dre moment and it was crazy to hear Big Hutch with Dre again ... But that One Shot One Kill though 💀🔫 killer

The Predator

Record is hot, some of the shit is fucking BANGING! :scarface:

Well done Dre, well done.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:14:38 AM by The Predator »

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
The album is exactly what I expected and wanted. A cohesive piece of work that is really best listened to all the way through.

Thanks Dre, we needed this.

LazyLatino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Album is full of GOOD SONGS. Bunch of good shit. This shit is probably better than 90% of the queer shit that's on today. BUT.....you have to be a fanboy to say this is a classic. This isn't 2001 or Chronic. It's missing the CLASSIC tracks. There isn't a standout BEAT. It isn't revolutionary. I was expecting this though, considering Dre didn't put his all in this. It didn;t really have the DR DRE signature/change the game type sound. It's isn't as consistent as his other shit. Still great album though. You can't hate on this. This is still better than most shit but it's half-assed compared to Dre's standards.

By the way, That Premier beat is SICK! Just wish Cube and Snoop spit on it.

Yup.

doggfather

its a solid project but not a classic. the word classic  is thrown around way to freely these days..

+1
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

West Coast Veteran

Love the album. West Coast been producing some great music this year Kendrick, Vince Staples and now Dre.

CORREA

Love the album. West Coast been producing some great music this year Kendrick, Vince Staples and now Dre.

overall been a great year for hiphop