Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49095 times)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #570 on: August 28, 2015, 04:30:05 PM »
This is the original beat that Dre fixed up for "Gone" -

"Gone" was produced by Dr Dre and D.R.U.G.S. Beats, so it's interesting to hear the original "beatmaker" version that D.R.U.G.S. Beats gave
to Dre and compare it to how much Dre changed it for the finished track...

andre

« Reply #571 on: August 28, 2015, 04:52:17 PM »

"Gone" was produced by Dr Dre and D.R.U.G.S. Beats, so it's interesting to hear the original "beatmaker" version that D.R.U.G.S. Beats gave

Good find!

Nice 8)

jaytee

« Reply #572 on: August 28, 2015, 07:54:47 PM »

mrbrasco posted a link to this article in the vault.

EXCLUSIVE: How D.R.U.G.S. Beats Got To Work On Dr. Dre's First Album In 16 Years

He's on one of the early favorites from the biggest albums in the world at the moment and he speaks about first hearing his beat on the album with a tonal precision that only a producer could master making however many beats a day for however many summers.

In part one of our talk, we delved into how Dr. Dre got his hands on D.R.U.G.S' beat, but in part two we find out that the story did not stop there and some faulty machinery almost kept D.R.U.G.S from the biggest placement of his relatively young career.

The beat for “Gone” was originally on a House Shoes Presents: The Gift Volume 10 – DRUGS BEATS for free download before Dre showed interest. What did Dre add to the original beat?

Yeah. He added A LOT to it. [Laughs] I mean, the original beat, the mood was the same. The arrangements and everything were the same. First of all, the mix on that shit is crazy. His mix on it was flawless, you have to start with that, because sonically he brought it to life. He played the piano in it, the bass guitar, and a couple of other things. I played the synths, synth bass, of course the drums.

Were you in the studio with Dre when he was adding his spice to the beat?

Not at all. Honestly, I didn’t hear it until it came out. I mean, it’s always been like that. I did the joint for 50 Cent, “I Just Wanna”. The whole KC and the Sunshine flip. I did that. I didn’t hear it until it came out. Even that happened so fast. I went to sleep one day, I woke up and I had 40 missed calls and 100 dudes hit me up social media like ‘congrats. congratulations.’ I ‘m like ‘what the fuck is everybody talking about’? Then somebody posted the video up. So the first time I hear the song is when I see the video for the 50 Cent joint. I had dealt with G-Unit previously, because I had done some work with Tony Yayo and Lloyd Banks. I got a joint “No Escape” on Lloyd Banks' V5 mixtape. I’ve been around. I put in a lot of work. But, the Dre situation was definitely the biggest.

When you heard Dre was dropping a new album, did you know he was going to use your song?

I mean, the thing with me was, ‘this is Dr. Dre, obviously.” Dre is a perfectionist, so my first thought was ‘this shit might not even see the light of day.’ But, it happened fast. Somebody was calling me every week, giving me updates on what was going on. One of the biggest dudes that had a lot to do with this was my homie Focus’ brother, Ty [Cannon]. He’s an A&R at Aftermath too and he’s doing his thing. He definitely kept me posted, weekly on what was going on and stuff like that. But, honestly, I didn’t know. We all made jokes like “Dre ain’t going to put that album out, man.” But, when they called about the money, that’s when we were like “oh shit. It’s happening.” Got paid, got all of the spreadsheets, did all of the publishing and got the paperwork worked out."

Let’s get into the art of it and what the hip hop heads really want to know. How did you make this beat? How did you go about it? How long did it take? What did you use?

That’s another funny story in itself. All the beats that are on that original beat tape I was telling you about, my hard drive died. I didn’t have no track outs. i had no tracked out beats or nothing. Only thing I had was two-track .wav. That’s all I had. So when they called me about the beat, I explained them the situation. My hard drive died. They were like, ‘you know what? Can you remake the beat?’ Usually when I remake the beat it don’t sound the same. But, I started remaking the beat and it came out EXACTLY how I made it the first time. This whole situation really kind of sums up as fate, honestly. It just don’t normally happen like THIS.

What equipment did you use?

"I always use the MPC 2000XL. The Microkorg. I got three XL’s. I got all the software in the world, all that, but, I need my XL. I’m a must on that. So, the Microkorg, MPC 2000XL and my Triton [keyboard]."

You’re not new to the industry but this is your biggest placement. So tell us, who is D.R.U.G.S. Beats? What does your name mean?

Dope. Real. Underground. Sound. I started making beats in 2002. Got serious around 2005, then it was an everyday thing. I didn’t start calling myself D.R.U.G.S. until 2007. That’s when I started beat battling. So I came up in the beat battle circuit. You can YouTube “D.R.U.G.S. beat battle” and watch the shit come up. I came up in the whole beat battling circuit. After I got my first placement for Ludacris on “Muthafucka Can U Buy That”. That’s how that whole thing started. Thats how I really started getting placements, working with Luda and through Def Jam. He had a relationship with 50 Cent which spun off that, started doing beats for 50’s camp

The producer Focus is all over Dre’s “Compton” album and he’s the person who gave Dre your beat for him to hear. How’d you link up with Focus?

There’s a studio in Atlanta. The studio is called Mudnoc Studios. Focus knows my closest friend Jonathan. That’s Mudnoc. Focus saw me from the beat battle circuit, so he caught up with me one time at the studio and we’ve been friends ever since.

What’s your favorite Dr. Dre beat from the album and why? Break it down like a producer.

I’ll say this. I love every beat on the album but I will say this that Intro, one of the best intros I’ve heard in soo long. This is another reason why I’m so happy to be apart of it because sonically…SONICALLY the music is impeccable. It’s so good. The mix they put on that album, I never heard nothing like it. That intro is beautiful. As far as other beats, that’s a hard one.

How about who had the best verse on “Compton”?

Loose Cannon with Xzibit. That’s a mean one to me, lyrically. Talk About It too, Mez is my homie. But, Justus did it JUSTICE! It would have to be Justus. It would be between BJ The Chicago Kid …. nah man, I gotta give it to Justus. I got to. Kendrick [Lamar] did his thing and King Mez did too, but I’m really leaning towards Justus flow right now.

What’s coming up next for you?

The DJ House Shoes Presents: The Gift Volume 10 – DRUGS BEATS is dropping in stores. That’ll be in stores September 10th. It’s a beat tape but it’s on vinyl. We’re dropping it on vinyl and cassette tapes. Doing a bunch of stuff with Fat Killahz. Have you ever heard of Fat Killahz? Marvwov, Fatt Father. We got this joint with Royce Da 5’9, shit is so ridiculous.

Keith Jusaire Nelson Jr., SLANT

EXCLUSIVE: Paul McCartney Is Making More Money On "Compton" Track Than Dr. Dre

How much a dollar cost?

According to Dorian Drumming, better known as producer D.R.U.G.S Beats, a dollar is the difference between Soundcloud and being on the biggest Hip Hop album of the year.

The 37-year-old beatmaker supplied Dr. Dre with the beat for his song "Gone" off of his first album in more than 15 years: "Compton."

DRUGS spoke EXCLUSIVELY with Slant News about how Paul McCartney is getting rich off of "Compton", a $1 piece of vinyl changed his life and choosing Dr. Dre over Soundcloud, plus more in the first part of our extensive interview.

How did you end up on Dr. Dre’s album producing “Gone”?

Honestly, the beat came from a beat tape me and DJ House Shoes put out. DJ House Shoes is a legendary DJ out of Detroit, he was J. Dilla’s righthand man. We dropped it on a beat tape and one of my closest friends is Focus. He’s down with Aftermath as well. So the beat tape got into his hands and he gave it to Dre and Dre was like ‘Yo, man, I like that Easy joint.’ He wanted to use it. He was like ‘Yo man, can y’all take it off of y’all shit and we use it?’ Hell yeah

When was this?

This was around March. Yeah, we had dropped the album in January.

So you already dropped it and then you took it off from streaming services?

Yeah. Exactly. The album ("House Shoes Presents: The Gift Volume 10 – DRUGS BEATS") was on Soundcloud for free download and everything. So, honestly, niggas that downloaded it, who had a good month and time to download it, they got the copy with the beat that’s on there.

What’s the story behind the sample on that song?

This is another crazy story. The sample is from Paul McCartney. But luckily the sample didn’t come from Paul McCartney when he was with the Beatles. It came from Paul McCartney when he on a group called Wings. So that saved our ass. Yeah, because with the publishing, I got 30 percent publishing. Dre got 20 percent. But, Paul McCartney got 50 percent.

Damn!

Yeah, man. We definitely put a lot of money in Paul McCartney’s pockets. [Laughs]

What was the Wings sample?

Ummm, “Ancient Egypt”.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qkffuqVg5l0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qkffuqVg5l0</a>

You just stumbled upon that or you’re a huge Wings fan?

I’m a collector of vinyl. This one day I went to the record store and my homeboy put up a $1 record bin, man. I was like ‘Oh shit, you selling all these dope ass records for $1?’ I got 50 of them and that was one of the joints up in there. I try not to sample no stuff like Paul McCartney or nothing like that but the sample was so ill, I had no choice.

Especially when you’re giving it to Dr. Dre and Interscope and Apple. I’m pretty sure they can clear almost ANY sample.

My thing was, I didn’t really want to tell them where the sample came from.I was like sounding like ‘this shit is impossible.’ You know what I’m saying? This is Paul McCartney and then my friend Ty was like , ‘Yo, man, don’t worry about that at all.’ I AM pretty much under the impression they pretty much can clear damn near anything.

Keith Jusaire Nelson Jr., SLANT

Sccit

« Reply #573 on: August 28, 2015, 09:19:31 PM »
^coo interview but lol@justus had the best verse on the album when he dint even rap on there

MOBNigga06

« Reply #574 on: August 28, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »
Not a classic and never will be

people said the same thing about The Chronic, 2001, and even Doggystyle but look at the status of those albums now

fuckin german has no fuckin plan, these albums that you´re talking about are totally westcoast beats and has some great feats. except fuckin eminem whitewhore...

fuckin berlin bitch im gonna sell you´re ass on charloutten str. bitch!!!!

HAHA man the real street to pimp a hoe in Germany is Bülowstrasse! I was in Berlin earlier this year and saw a gang of hoes on that street.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #575 on: August 28, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
Not a classic and never will be

People need to have the balls to say 'this album isn't great'. Not 'I'm not sure about this album yet, maybe in years to come I will be...if other people say it too'

I agree. People who say "I'm not sure whether it's good or not yet" are just finding it difficult to believe that someone with Dre's track record could release such an incredibly shitty album. But that's what happened!
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #576 on: August 29, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
The hard part about an Ice Cube album is that he's a rapper. Dr. Dre as a producer can have many featured artist and it keeps the sound fresh. Cube would have to rap on every song and he'd be support for his own album.

how is that hard? what dre does is way harder

How so? Dre has the luxury of having songs on his album that don't feature him in any way. Example...

11. Just Another Day (The Game feat. Asia Bryant)
PRODUCED BY Trevor Lawrence Jr. & Theron Feemster.

Here we have a song by 2 artist (neither is Dre) and produced by 2 producers (and again neither is Dre)
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Sccit

« Reply #577 on: August 29, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
The hard part about an Ice Cube album is that he's a rapper. Dr. Dre as a producer can have many featured artist and it keeps the sound fresh. Cube would have to rap on every song and he'd be support for his own album.

How so? Dre has the luxury of having songs on his album that don't feature him in any way. Example...

Here we have a song by 2 artist (neither is Dre) and produced by 2 producers (and again neither is Dre)

lol first off, dre woulda been credited as produce if the game wasn't fucked up nowadays .. Dre is in the studio for every step of the track, guiding the process all the way through. From inception to final mix down. Ice cube just needs to go in a studio, rap a couple verses, and go home. It's a wayyyy easier process, and it's not even close.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #578 on: August 29, 2015, 02:42:48 PM »

lol first off, dre woulda been credited as produce if the game wasn't fucked up nowadays .. Dre is in the studio for every step of the track, guiding the process all the way through. From inception to final mix down. Ice cube just needs to go in a studio, rap a couple verses, and go home. It's a wayyyy easier process, and it's not even close.

Are you referring to the rap game or to the rapper?

He mixed this song

Yeah so did Focus. Again, minimal work. For all we know that could've been a song Game and Asia Bryant did on their own and Dre heard it and touched it up and placed it on his album.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

bigpimpin20

« Reply #579 on: August 29, 2015, 02:54:13 PM »
he mixed the whole album. check that all eyez on me unmixed version before quik touched it, big difference. even tho i think dre had a lot more input in recordin process than the credits say
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:20:10 PM by bigpimpin20 »

Sccit

« Reply #580 on: August 29, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »

Are you referring to the rap game or to the rapper?

He mixed this song

Yeah so did Focus. Again, minimal work. For all we know that could've been a song Game and Asia Bryant did on their own and Dre heard it and touched it up and placed it on his album.

lol focus doesn't do 10% of what Dre does.... U know damn well Game was rappin like that because Dre spent a whole day in the studio wit him goin over it line for line til he got it jus right. And that's witout even considering all the engineering work to make it sonically hit right after Game goes home. Dude who produced the Gone track said it sounded COMPLETELY diff before Dre got his hands on it. Same like Khalil said about Kush. It's common sense that if this dropped in the early 90s, the back cover woulda said "produced by Dr Dre" and that's it. Now everyone cries over credits when it's a well known fact that the top-notch sound comes from Dre and no one else.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #581 on: August 30, 2015, 10:41:34 AM »
lol focus doesn't do 10% of what Dre does.... U know damn well Game was rappin like that because Dre spent a whole day in the studio wit him goin over it line for line til he got it jus right. And that's witout even considering all the engineering work to make it sonically hit right after Game goes home. Dude who produced the Gone track said it sounded COMPLETELY diff before Dre got his hands on it. Same like Khalil said about Kush. It's common sense that if this dropped in the early 90s, the back cover woulda said "produced by Dr Dre" and that's it. Now everyone cries over credits when it's a well known fact that the top-notch sound comes from Dre and no one else.
This. People really have no clue what producing is, what mixing is and what mastering is. I'd add to the above, that had this been a rock album or a pop album it indeed WOULD just have said "produced by Dr.Dre" and the other guys would have been credited as writers and musicians.

Westdog

« Reply #582 on: August 31, 2015, 05:50:35 AM »

ice cube woulda been the star again if he dropped an album around the same time as the movie, because it generated interest in him once again, as u can see by the drastic sale spike in old NWA material.
[/quote]

Yeah. That's what I'm talking about
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

chtimixeur

« Reply #583 on: August 31, 2015, 06:35:27 AM »
Nah, Cube will never be succesful again on mainstream radio.
It's been 23 years since Today was a good day, and young people like young artists. That's just the way it is.

Still, artistically, it would have been a smart move to release a political/social album around the Straight Outta Compton theater release.
None of his fans want him to keep on releasing stupid singles like Drop Girl, but for a weird reason, he still seems to think it's a smart and fun idea.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #584 on: August 31, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »
This is the guy who did start with A Bitch iz a Bitch and I Ain't the One. each NWA had one single ready song that was edited to go on the radio. Dre had Express Yourself, Ren had If It Ain't Rough, Eazy had 8-Ball radio version, and Cube had I Ain't the One... LOL. Completely different than all the writing he did with the political social message. For some reason, Cube's always been like that, except when he first went single. That 1990-1994 run was amazing, but before and after that it was all about releasing You Can Do It, Playa'z Club, Pushin' Weight and so on. Don't know why, the hard stuff is what people want. But since he's main run was over and he did movies, he just hasn't been good about giving the fans what they want.