Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49099 times)

'EclipZe

Love the album. West Coast been producing some great music this year Kendrick, Vince Staples and now Dre.

overall been a great year for hiphop

Don't forget Dizzy Wright.

FUCK-YOU-BItch

sorry mane this album is trash, what a waste for dre he shouldn´t delete detox..atleast detox would have got ghetto g-funk shit..this is Hollywood gay shit..

doggfather

interesting for the first listen.

gonna check later again.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

DEKO

sorry mane this album is trash, what a waste for dre he shouldn´t delete detox..atleast detox would have got ghetto g-funk shit..this is Hollywood gay shit..

I agree with you. This album sucks. The beats are horrible compared to Dre's other albums. What a fucking noise to my ears! :-\ Is THIS what we waited 16 years for?!?!

The Predator

Rolling Stone -

Dr. Dre Dissects 'Compton,' Kendrick Lamar, Eminem on Beats 1

"I want this album to be inspiring. I want it to be motivational. So that was the foundation throughout the entire record," rapper says
By Daniel Kreps August 7, 2015

Dr. Dre talked the inspiration behind 'Compton," Kendrick Lamar and Eminem in an in-depth Beats 1 Interview FilmMagic

As the clock struck midnight EST to mark the August 7th arrival of Dr. Dre's Compton, the rapper-producer joined Zane Lowe on Beats 1 to discuss his first LP in 16 years. Dre's interview came just hours after he streamed his new album exclusively on Apple Music, and he discussed the all-star Compton, his "grand finale," in depth. "It's crazy that it's been 30 years and this is only my third album," Dre said.

After opening fittingly with 2001's "The Next Episode" and Compton's "One Shot One Kill," Lowe opened their conversation by admitting that Compton exceeded his expectations. After the album's opening "Intro," the first two rappers to appear on Compton are a pair of lesser known MCs, King Mez and Justus. "For my last two albums, that's what I've done. I don't want to go out and get the new hot artist that's out right now just to put it on my album and help it sell," Dre said. "I like working with new artists."

Kendrick Lamar was once one of those "new artists" that The Chronic rapper took under his wing, and Dre lauded his fellow Compton rapper. "It's a really strange thing to watch Kendrick work. Like he hears the music, I'm waiting for him to pick up a pen and pad, but he doesn't do that. He just paces back and forth in the studio, and the next thing you know there's an incredible verse coming out of his face," Dre said of Lamar's work on "Genocide." "Kendrick Lamar is the real deal. He's a real artist and he's gonna be here for awhile, because this guy is seriously talented."

Dre also told Lowe that, following the dissolution of Detox, he didn't think he would record another album. However, after being inspired by working on the N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton and laying down three tracks, "I felt a [great album] coming. I know that feeling after being in it for so long," Dre said. "So I just said, 'I'm going for it' and really started blacking out in the studio." As for whether Dre, a borderline billionaire, could still generate the fire and inspiration needed to create a top-notch hip-hop album, he admitted that no amount of money could replicate the feeling he gets from making a hit record.

Dr also talked about Compton's "Medicine Man," which features Eminem. "We just love being in the studio recording," Dre said of his longtime collaborator and protégé. "We're in there not trying to be okay, not trying to be good; we're trying to be great. Do we accomplish that? Absolutely. Do we miss every now and then? Absolutely. But the vibe and energy we bring to the studio is, 'Let's do something great.'"

Finally, Dre opened up about the concept behind Compton and the LP's personal closing track, "Talking to My Diary." "I want this album to be inspiring. I want it to be motivational. So that was the foundation throughout the entire record," Dre said. "The record is just me reflecting and I'm basically just talking to myself. It's just me in the room and I'm talking to myself."

Earlier in the day, before the album debuted on Apple Music, Dre talked Compton on Beats 1. "The new artists I got like King Mez and Justus, these two guys actually came in and just grinded with me throughout the entire project," Dre told Lowe. "As a matter of fact, most of the lyrics are written by us three. We would just go into the studio, put up the track and for some reason, the stars aligned and we killed it, man."

Dre also revealed that all of his artist royalties from the album would go towards the building of a new performing arts center and entertainment facility in Compton. "I feel it's the right thing to do and I hope everybody appreciates the work I put into this album," he said. "We've reached out to [Compton Mayor] Aja Brown quite a few times in the last month or two. I've been really trying to do something special for Compton and just couldn't quite figure out what it was. She actually had this idea and she was already in the process of working on it. I said, 'Boom, this is what we should do.'"

10 Things You Learn About Dr. Dre on 'Compton'

Key revelations gleaned from hip-hop mogul's first album in 16 years
By Rolling Stone August 6, 2015

dr. dre
"I want it all," raps Dr. Dre on his new LP. "Goddamn it, I'm too old/I forgot I have it all."

He was rich long before Apple dropped $3.2 billion on him to buy Beats by Dre.
"I remember selling instrumentals off a beeper/Before the headphones or the speakers," Dre raps, reminiscing about bygone days, on "Talk About It." "I was getting money 'fore the Internet/Still got Eminem checks I ain't open yet."

He suffers from some pretty baller senior moments too.
"I want it all," the 50-year-old superproducer declares on the same track, before catching himself: "Goddamn it, I'm too old/I forgot I have it all/But Andre still young enough to say 'Fuck y'all.'"

He can still build a nasty beat out of the tiniest details...
"Genocide" — helmed by L.A. producer and Dre collaborator Dem Jointz — is both sumptuous and abrasive, slipping a lazily descending bass line beneath a whip-snap snare that sounds like sampled static. (The virtuoso Kendrick Lamar cameo doesn't hurt either.)

...and he can even build a nasty beat around a trumpet solo.
Numerous songs on Compton feature the horn-playing of young Baltimore jazz musician Dontae Winslow, who closes out the LP with a wild, extended solo (and who also composed the album's opening orchestral flourish.)

He still has no love for the police...
On "It's All on Me," he recounts the origins, in his youth, of N.W.A's landmark single "Fuck tha Police": "Any given day, like, what the fuck?/Face down on the pavement with the billy clubs/Took that feeling to the studio and queued it up/Now it's 'Fuck tha Police' all up in the club."

...but, despite tracks that allude to the police killings of Michael Brown ("Animals") and Eric Garner ("Deep Water"), he also has seemingly little patience for anyone who cites economic deprivation or institutional racism as excuses for not being as successful as him.
"Anybody complaining about their circumstances lost me, homey," he announces on "Darkside/Gone." "We ain't even talking/Fuck that energy, fuck up off me." This may be the one Dr. Dre lyric that Fox News pundits could love.

His relationship to women, at least in his music, remains...complicated.
Dre has never been one for progressive approaches to gender in his music. The track "Issues" ends with a prolonged, out-of-nowhere skit in which a woman is murdered violently, for no apparent reason, then carried into the woods and buried.

(So does Eminem's, while we're on the subject.)
"I even make the bitches I rape cum," Marshall Mathers brags on "Medicine Man."

He's dubious when it comes to the fitted look dominant in hip-hop fashion these days:
The poster boy of creased Dickies isn't having it with skinny legwear: "What the fuck is going on?" he asks on "Medicine Man." "These niggas in tight shit like in the fucking Matrix."

He's made posthumous peace with Eazy-E, his onetime-partner-turned-foil, whom he believes is smiling on him from heaven.
The album ends with a celestial vision of N.W.A's demented co-founder — the late M.C. born Eric Wright — floating angelically overhead. "I know Eazy can see me now/Looking down through the clouds," Dre raps on "Talking to My Diary." "Regardless, I know my nigga still proud."

Dr. Dre's first album in 16 years picks up on themes he's been exploring since the N.W.A days.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dr-dre-dissects-compton-kendrick-lamar-eminem-on-beats-1-20150807

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/10-things-you-learn-about-dr-dre-on-compton-20150806

CORREA

Love the album. West Coast been producing some great music this year Kendrick, Vince Staples and now Dre.

overall been a great year for hiphop

Don't forget Dizzy Wright.

he sucks
hes a drake clone

GARDENA.GANGSTA

• 'G'
Im A Be Real This Fukin Album Has No Connection With NWA Period,The Only OG Artist Is Cube,Snoop,Cold 187um,Its A Fukin Soundtrack Where The Fuk is MC Ren and then he could of added king t,wc,dj quik,mc eiht and so on,this is a big disappointment,if i would of paid for this i would been pissed!!!!And Tell U Straight Up!!! Keep On Hustlin(Feat.Jeezy,Bun B,Nate Dogg) Off The G Funk Era Part II Murders every fukin song off this wack shit,real talk,but to eachs own!!! Sorry But Wtf Does Next level west coast have to do with this movie,not a damn thing sorry but this shit is wack,really

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Great album! There are like two tracks that i skip but the rest is off the hook... best tracks so far: Darkside/Gone, Loose Cannons, Deep Water, Talking to My Diary

CORREA

Im A Be Real This Fukin Album Has No Connection With NWA Period,The Only OG Artist Is Cube,Snoop,Cold 187um,Its A Fukin Soundtrack Where The Fuk is MC Ren and then he could of added king t,wc,dj quik,mc eiht and so on,this is a big disappointment,if i would of paid for this i would been pissed!!!!And Tell U Straight Up!!! Keep On Hustlin(Feat.Jeezy,Bun B,Nate Dogg) Off The G Funk Era Part II Murders every fukin song off this wack shit,real talk,but to eachs own!!! Sorry But Wtf Does Next level west coast have to do with this movie,not a damn thing sorry but this shit is wack,really

nobody wants them washed up rappers lol
dre made the right choice on with the new
you think people were going to buy a ost with some old ass rappers and old ass beats FUCK NO
wake the fuck up

The Predator

Dr Dre – Compton first listen review: 'This is not someone coasting on reputation'

Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr Dre has been delayed for so long that even hardcore fans might have had doubts. But it’s a stunning comeback that cements the rapper’s place in history

Still a perfectionist ... Dr Dre

Andrew Emery

Friday 7 August 2015 08.12 BST

When your stake in a company making not particularly great headphones has pushed you close to being a billionaire, does it matter to you if your new album is relevant or not? More to the point, when you’ve had your hand in some of the biggest selling hip-hop records of all time – guiding the career of Eminem and Snoop Dogg, helping to invent gangsta rap, writing the blueprint for G-Funk – do you even need to be judged cutting edge in 2015? Haven’t you been there, done that? If you’re Dr Dre, such a concern could be trifling. But from listening to Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr Dre, his first album since 1999’s 2001 (and only his third album since 1992’s debut the Chronic) it actually seems to matter to him as much as ever.

Dre has been going long enough to call Grandmaster Flash and Afrika Bambaataa contemporaries, yet in 2015, he’s still able to drop onto a Kendrick Lamar track and sound like he’s only just arrived. His gift for rejuvenation is remarkable and, far from phoning it in, he has already scrapped this comeback album (when it was known as Detox or, to give it its official title “The long-awaited Detox”) simply because he wasn’t happy with it, sales be damned. There’s still something of the perfectionist about him.

Yet there was also a nagging sense, even among longtime fans, that Dre’s best days could be behind him. When did he last craft a masterpiece? Is he too busy mugging in Eminem videos to drop something as epochal as 1992’s The Chronic? Are the Kendrick collaborations just a chance for the new star to doff his cap at a legend before he’s put out to pasture?

Lots of questions, and only Compton can begin to answer them. He sets his stall out early, roping in fresh new guests but waving his walking stick too: “I’m too old I forgot I got it all, but Andre young enough to still get involved” he rhymes on opener Talk About It. And he is. He wisely avoids retreading old stylistic ground and nor does he try to skew too young for the clubs. Instead, he captures much of the manic, musical joy of Kendrick’s recent instant classic To Pimp a Butterfly, an album made for the headphone experience. Hip-hop fights for elbow room with blues, scat, doo-wop and funk by the fistful. It’s the restless, soulful brew of a man who hasn’t put out his own long-player this millennium.

The introspection of Darkside/Gone, with its shout out to colleague turned adversary Eazy-E, makes way for the chaos of Loose Cannons and the even more hyper Issues. The latter features a reunion with Ice Cube, but what’s most thrilling is the surplus of ideas, with something always happening at the margins, pulling the groove into different areas. This is not someone coasting on reputation; this is someone cementing their place in history.

Snoop Dogg feeds off the energy, turning in his best guest shot in years on the viciously propulsive One Shot One Kill, and Gang Starr legend DJ Premier is similarly inspired, his work on Animals helping to make it an instant standout. If there’s a false note, it’s Eminem’s verse on Medicine Man. It’s structurally brilliant, but he falls into his familiar habits of shouting a lot and trying to say the most offensive thing in the room. He succeeds, and temporarily takes you out of the story the album has thrillingly told.

What’s particularly impressive is how Dre, inspired by the NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton, has captured the past of his hometown – The Game, Snoop, Cube, Cold 187um (of oft-overlooked legends Above the Law, whose debut album was produced by one Dr. Dre back in 1989) – and mixed it perfectly with the present. Asia Bryant, Jon Connor, Justus, King Mez and Anderson Paak, among others, are all newcomers who more than justify their presence here. Dre and NWA aren’t simply the past, a moment preserved in amber – with Compton he’s shown us something new under the Californian sun.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:28:02 AM by The Predator »

salkku

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • ''I flip flop and serve hoes with a fat dick''

I agree with you. This album sucks. The beats are horrible compared to Dre's other albums. What a fucking noise to my ears! :-\ Is THIS what we waited 16 years for?!?!

Yeap, this is garbage. The beats, the rhymes. That Diary song is ok. Rest is skip, skip skip... All those Detox songs was better than this. Kush, I need a doctor. :-\
''Why does niggas want to act funny with the money'' - DAZ

''Now if it wasn't for the West,
these rap niggas wouldn't need a vest around they chest'' - Xzibit

''you must be one of our European posters...Egypt or Moscow'' - Chamillitary Click

donfathaimmortal

Yeap, this is garbage. The beats, the rhymes. That Diary song is ok. Rest is skip, skip skip... All those Detox songs was better than this. Kush, I need a doctor. :-\

Ok ok, it's not 1992/96/99 anymore :) so we know that Dr Dre didn't record new material which gonna sound "vintage" or anything. So, I think we have (at least) to try listen the whole album carrefully before sayin we "hate" it. I mean, if Dre wanted "Compton : A Soundtrack" to be released, it's because he think we should listen it. This is Dr Dre from 2015. And, like others, I think that I prefer he put out Compton than this boring project Detox. I give a (fast) listen to this last Dr Dre "solo" effort, this is not my type of ish but I think there's a few interesting things.
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

jaytee

DJ Premier on the Making of “Animals,” Working With Dr. Dre on “Compton” (Interview)

While DJ Premier has known Dr. Dre since the late '80s, the two legends of their respective coasts had never made music together, but that just changed with the release of Dre's Compton album, the first project from the gangster rapper turned production god turned headphone mogul in 16 years.

It all started about a year ago when Dre called Premo, asking him if he had any beats for a new project. At the time Premier didn't know anything about this mystery project except that Dre assured him that Detox had been scrapped, but when the good doctor calls, you answer. So Premier sent him a folder of five beats and kept his fingers crossed. It was just hours later though when he heard back.  

"I was headed to Korea, the plane was literally lifting off, and my phone goes off," DJ Premier told me when I reached him by phone. "And he [Dre] goes, 'Yo, this is amazing, this is dope.' I thought wow, what timing, right on liftoff. At least I got that text to let me know I was on the right track."

Premier hoped for the best and the two stayed in touch, but it became clear that Dr. Dre was so busy working on the N.W.A. movie it would be a while before anything firm crystallized. Fate, however, would continue to bring Premier into Dr. Dre's mysterious project. Premier got connected with Anderson .Paak during work on a collaborative project with Russian producer BMB Spacekid that would result in "Til Its Done." The trio parted ways, but shortly after they finished Premier got another call from Paak, who had continued to write to another beat they had created.

"The Freddie Gray murder by the police happened, the riots in Baltimore jumped off, so Anderson hit me up and said he was really angry about what had happened, that he had made a song about it," recounted Premier. "At the time it was called 'FSU', which means Fucking Shit Up, talking about how they treats us like animals, the only time they turn the cameras on is when we're fucking shit up."

They planned on releasing the song as a loose single to show their support for Baltimore, but at the same time Anderson .Paak was fortioutusly meeting with Dre and told Dre that he and Premier had just finished working together. "Paak played it for him and Dre said, 'This totally fits this soundtrack I decided to do for the movie' - music inspired by the film, it's not in the movie. Dre wanted to rap on it, so since the song was already finished we changed the arrangement, and he had me come out to L.A. to work on it," said Premier.  

And just like that, after decades of waiting for the hip-hop planets to align, DJ Premier was in Dr. Dre's home studio making music, working to seamlessly blend Premo's classic east coast sound with Dre's boming west coast DNA. "We started off by getting on the mic, talking shit," said Premier. "And then I started scratching, cutting in other cuts: Eminem, Ed O.G., Torae, Rhettmatic was there and gave me a line to scratch and close it out. And it was real cool, making magic happen. But I kept quiet until now."

All we know as listeners is the final product that hits our ear drums, but my conversation with DJ Premier is a reminder that making hip-hop history is rarely simple, almost never straightforward. It can take years filled with delays, coincidences and magical moments to create even a single song, but when that song sounds like "Animals," it's all worth it. It feels so good to finally be inside Compton.

Nathan S., The DJBooth

Bandida

I've decided I'm not buying the album.
I'm waiting for YouTube videos n that will suffice....

Chitown

• Lil Geezy
I just got in off the 3rd shift. Will give my full opinion after I take a power nap.  This has been 16 years in the making. From what I've heard so far..this is one of them joints that will have to grow on the masses. He should still drop Detox though imo