Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49107 times)

Eddz

The only track I'm not really liking is 2. “Talk About It” (Feat. King Mez & Justus), but after that the album just gets better and better. All the features come correct & this whole album just feels like it's on another level.

This will be definitely classed as a classic  8)

David Gutterman

David Gutterman approves this album! I like it! Celebrating Dre day!

Mr. Theo

I just got in off the 3rd shift. Will give my full opinion after I take a power nap.  This has been 16 years in the making. From what I've heard so far..this is one of them joints that will have to grow on the masses. He should still drop Detox though imo

not really 16years in the making...

after Detox was scrapped(2012-2013)

this album was produced in 2013-2015.

Only "old" songs are "Loose Cannons" "Talk to My Diary"

my album review in a few minutes...

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

donfathaimmortal

my album review in a few minutes...

Ahah, I think some people r waitin for ur opinion Mr Theo ;)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:56:42 AM by donfathaimmortal »
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

Desert Lord

its a solid project but not a classic. the word classic  is thrown around way to freely these days..

+1

yawn! the phrase: "the word classic is thrown away way to freely these days..." is thrown away way to often these days

Jay_J

Album is full of GOOD SONGS. Bunch of good shit. This shit is probably better than 90% of the queer shit that's on today. BUT.....you have to be a fanboy to say this is a classic. This isn't 2001 or Chronic. It's missing the CLASSIC tracks. There isn't a standout BEAT. It isn't revolutionary. I was expecting this though, considering Dre didn't put his all in this. It didn;t really have the DR DRE signature/change the game type sound. It's isn't as consistent as his other shit. Still great album though. You can't hate on this. This is still better than most shit but it's half-assed compared to Dre's standards.

By the way, That Premier beat is SICK! Just wish Cube and Snoop spit on it.

i sign under every fucking word of it.

Desert Lord

instant classic for sure...i'm really feelin' it.

favorite tracks after the first listen: genocide, it's all on me, all in a days work, loose cannons, issues, satisfiction, animals, talking to my diary...

i'll definetly gon bump it again today  8) 8) 8)

jeanmiche777

So after a quick listen... All I can say is I'll need a couple more listening sessions lol

It's very different from the other Dre albums. First of all, there's a different vibe on a lot of the tracks. It's leaning more towards modern trap drums/hi-hats.
Dre/Game/Snoop and a couple others surprised me with their flow, going the Kendrick Lamar kind of screamish/broken voice rap. I didn't even recognize Snoop at first on One Shot One Kill. For me, it will probably take a while to appreciate it because I used to listen to the more laid-back Dr Dre sound, and this is going in a very different direction.

There's multiple layers of sounds and voice effects. Multiple beat transitions, hooks and filters. It's very jazzy, mixed with an old-school kind of vibe with modern drums.

I like it overall, I feel like I'll need some time to digest eveything and kind of ''wipe'' my brain from the kind of sound I anticipated from a new Dre album, after listening to 2001 probably way too much. That being said, it's so clean and well mixed. The way each song transitions into each other, the sequencing of the album... You can tell from the get go it is a Dre album.

My favorite track so far has been Animals. I always dreamed of a DJ Premier/Dr Dre collab and it is everything I dreamed of. Paak is killing it on this joint.

Blood$

3. Genocide (feat. Kendrick Lamar, Marsha Ambrosius & Candice Pillay)
4. It’s All On Me (feat. Justus & BJ the Chicago Kid)
6. Darkside/Gone (feat. King Mez, Marsha Ambrosius & Kendrick Lamar)
7. Loose Cannons (feat. Xzibit, COLD 187um & Sly Pyper)
8. Issues (feat. Ice Cube, Anderson .Paak & Dem Jointz)
10. One Shot One Kill (Jon Connor feat. Snoop Dogg & Craig Owens)
11. Just Another Day (The Game feat. Asia Bryant)
13. Satisfiction (feat. Snoop Dogg, Marsha Ambrosius & King Mez)
15. Medicine Man (feat. Eminem, Candice Pillay & Anderson .Paak)
16. Talking To My Diary

I couldn't even pick my top 5 from the album so here's my top 10... all of these tracks are either 4.5/5 or 5/5 rating status  8)

soopa-man

Dope read, and real dope joint in the album..

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Very average and disappointed. too much R and B and no track that hits you straight away like Still Dre.

Sounds like a Kendrick album. With Kenricks shit being succesful Dre must have thought he has to make shit like that in 2015 to be like.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
So after a quick listen... All I can say is I'll need a couple more listening sessions lol

It's very different from the other Dre albums. First of all, there's a different vibe on a lot of the tracks. It's leaning more towards modern trap drums/hi-hats.
Dre/Game/Snoop and a couple others surprised me with their flow, going the Kendrick Lamar kind of screamish/broken voice rap. I didn't even recognize Snoop at first on One Shot One Kill. For me, it will probably take a while to appreciate it because I used to listen to the more laid-back Dr Dre sound, and this is going in a very different direction.

There's multiple layers of sounds and voice effects. Multiple beat transitions, hooks and filters. It's very jazzy, mixed with an old-school kind of vibe with modern drums.

I like it overall, I feel like I'll need some time to digest eveything and kind of ''wipe'' my brain from the kind of sound I anticipated from a new Dre album, after listening to 2001 probably way too much. That being said, it's so clean and well mixed. The way each song transitions into each other, the sequencing of the album... You can tell from the get go it is a Dre album.

I agree with all of this...

The album is not really 100% my type of thing, but even on the tracks I don't really like there is a ton of stuff going on musically,
so it's an album you can go back to lots of times to pick up all the different parts...

That means it's not as immediately "wow" as stuff like "Still DRE", but it means there is more to discover over time.

I often re-listen to The Chronic and Doggystyle because there's a lot of stuff going on it in each track, but I rarely ever listen to 2001
because the beats on that album are so simple and you can "figure them out" very quickly.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Last album was 16 years ago and you are expecting the sound to be the same? I remember disliking Still D.R.E when it first came out, now I think its one of the greatest song ever. Give the album some times.

Mr. Theo

1 - Great Intro...not like "Documentary" intro..but still good.

2 - I warned y'all about Justus....King Mez is....meh../ the beat fits only in Dre voice / THE BEAT IS A NORMAL DJ DAHI BEAT, NOTHING EXCEPTIONAL /Young Jeezy should be in this instead of Justus and King Mez.

3 - WEST COAST SHIT..Excellent instrumental and hook..Kendrick Lamar verse is nuts..but wait..Kendrick got 2 verses in it??? (Dre rapping like Kendrick ruins the track) - but the song is still enjoyable..

4 - BINK killed again, good track..Dre rapping decent ( no Kendrick imitation )..Justus !??!? Imagine Miguel on the hook...it's would be 1000x better

5 - Instrumental is AVERAGE..nothing much..Anderson Paak represents with good vocals...Dre's second verse is a Kendrick imitation (Again)

6 - the song 4 me begins at Eazy-E vocals...before Eazy it's wack...after is common...this track is forgettable.

7 - Instrumental is classic....dre on Kendrick Lamar mode again... :'(     but the song still good!!! cold 187 and X killed

8 - Another great track...Dre rapped like Dre and...ICE CUBE!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Bishop Lamont in this ...... would be perfect.

9 - Ken'DRE'ick again...this track is much crazy....Kendrick cried verse...i hate when he "cries" in the verse..forgettable song

10 - DJ Quik "The Conduct" generic version.............

11 - The Game saves the world.............and people still mad at him! Game is so talented!!

12 - Cool track...beat very common..but Jon Connor and Anderson .Paak, Dre and Jill Scott made a good job, specially at the end!

13 - Radio friendly...cool!!!!

14 -  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Imagine DJ Quik feat in this DJ Premier production. DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No DJ Quik but still classic. THIS IS CLASSIC.

15 - crap shit..everything Eminem touch this dayz becomes trash

16 - Another classic Dre track...this is DETOX track.

THIS ALBUM CONTAINS 3 CLASSICS..(ISSUES,ANIMALS AND TALK TO MY DIARY) ..OTHERS GOOD TRACKS..

BUT OVERALL "COMPTON" ISN'T CHANGED THE GAME...IT'S JUST A NORMAL ALBUM LIKE MANY OTHERS

SOME POINT THIS IS THE NEW SOUND VS OLD SOUND.... IT'S LIKE KENDRICK TPAB with a little NWA Sound...

6/10

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:27:28 AM by Mr. Theo »

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

Jungleboy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • From P-Funk to G-Funk
To be honest: This Album is a huge disappointment. The only track that stand out is "Animals". Dres sound architecture was good for the westcoast. His creativity in the 90s and 2000s was great. But today he is more an obstacle for the younger generation of west coast talents. The sound of this album is not west coast. It is more mainstream and rnb. Where is the melody and harmony of organic instruments? I think this was the signature of a good dre production and the whole west coast. I dont expect classic g-funk sound. I expect this organic dre sound. I missed it.

These line makes me really angry:

...he also has seemingly little patience for anyone who cites economic deprivation or institutional racism as excuses for not being as successful as him.
"Anybody complaining about their circumstances lost me, homey," he announces on "Darkside/Gone." "We ain't even talking/Fuck that energy, fuck up off me." This may be the one Dr. Dre lyric that Fox News pundits could love.

This guy makes a Soundtrack about Compton and tells his audience some neoliberal shit like this. NWA is a product of social and institutional racism in Compton.  ;D ;D

Sorry, it's cool that a lot of cats likes it - no disrespect. But i'm really disappointet about this album and some lines

Quote from: Soopafly DPGC about his hands
I don't live for the man, but I do study him so I can hope my pimp hands one day become as strong as his. When i first started listening to him, my hands were only strong enough to crush a beetle.  Now that i've studied him for 15 years, my hands are strong enough to crush a dog.