Author Topic: DJ Yella Discusses Eazy-E "Straight Outta Compton" Hopsital Scenes  (Read 312 times)

CORREA

In an interview with XXL published today (August 6), N.W.A's DJ Yella spoke with the magazine about F. Gary Gray-directed N.W.A biopic, Straight Outta Compton, which is set to debut in theaters August 14.

DJ Yella, who co-produced N.W.A's material with Dr. Dre, shares how nostalgic creating the movie was for him and what it was like re-living Eazy E's death in the film.

"The weirdest part for me was the hospital scene," DJ Yella says. "That was a little eerie right there. Matter fact I probably only stayed about an hour, hour and a half. I didn't even stay that long because it was just like, 'Wow. Really.'

"And then after seeing the movie, I think the last time I seen it I caught a little tear in my eye during that hospital scene again," he continues. "It's a deep part right there, but you know, they made him look good. They didn't make anyone above him or anything like that. Eazy is the star of the movie and that's just the way it is. You know, we was all the same. Eazy just always stood out a little bit."

DJ Yella also talks about what it was like to see himself portrayed on screen.

"The weirdest part was seeing my character for the first time," he says. "I had to pinch myself, like, 'Am I dead or something?' It was weird seeing him, 'cause he'd studied me so much that he does everything I did. The way I do my hands, he said, 'When you're in interviews you do this, you lean this way,' and all this. I'm like, 'Wow, that's kind of weird.' It's like somebody was stalking me or something."

Although DJ Yella's and MC Ren's characters were not included in the initial trailers promoting the movie, the new trailers highlight all five members shortly after MC Ren blasted the way the film was being promoted.

"I had seen the new trailers already even before [MC Ren] made those statements — Cube had sent me the new trailers — and it was just a matter of timing, that's all," Yella says. "Now it's all about all our names is on the posters, all the billboards is all five characters, everything. So it was just all promotion. That's just the way they had it going on at the time. It's just business. It wasn't nothing personal."