Author Topic: The Game feat. DJ Quik - Let Me Be The One (Prod By DJ Quik) HQ added!  (Read 4623 times)

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: The Game feat. DJ Quik - Let Me Be The One (Prod By DJ Quik) HQ added!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 11:26:07 PM »
Game's flow sounds kinda awkward on this. Slow it down, bro, this is westcoast shiz.

LONDON!!

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 06:14:22 AM »
UPDATE: HQ added! Shout out to SALO!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l73RI6wdHyA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l73RI6wdHyA</a>

smooth summer time gangsta shit, props
"get this money by any means nessassary"

WestWestYA

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 07:08:38 AM »
Dope song tbh. But fuck game. It should have been suga free. And the quik stop fuckin around and work on street gospel 2. Instead of this dick rider of every rapper in the game.

doggfather

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:10 AM »
An entire game album produced by quik would be cool.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:49 AM »
Oooh that's dope joints by Quik 8) especailly this Game song although that sounds like a Suga Free joint haha. Good to see Quik still makin this type of ish, and still workin with DB after all this years.
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »
Fuck! Quik really jumped in the time machine for this one, smooth as "Pitch In On a Party". Not liking the Suga Free imitation but it doesn't ruin the song, I'm hyped for the album now.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

dnjp4life

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
NOW THIS IS WHAT THE F IM TALKIN ABOUT........

This track is better than anything on MIDNIGHT LIFE.

That ole funky Quik and Game sounds good on this.  8) 8) 8)

It's super dope really it is but I can't say it's better than all of midnight life...the chorus yes but beat wise it's equal to pet semetary,fuck all night,life jacket,back that shit up....this is more classic quik but I liked the experimental aspect of those tracks,quiks sound to me is those heavy claps we hear on this track and most of his work the bells and funky guitar strings so yeah this is classic quik but the midnight life was equally as good

Fair enough...Life Jacket was amazing too, but something really lacked on that and I Cant put my finger on what, cos the beat was 4.5/5...

To me it was almost TOO crisp sounding idk...did you ever hear the original snippet?? It sounded a bit less cohesive which worked for me for some reason idk what he did to change the original sound of it

You're totally right about 'Life Jacket'.  I was listening to The Midnight Life last night and I was thinking the exact same thing - it is probably too crisp-sounding even by Quik's standards, and I worked out that it lacks a proper bassline.  When you compare it to something like the previous track 'Pet Sematary', you'll notice that it doesn't hit as hard.  Also, the girl on the chorus really can't sing.  I think someone like Latoiya Williams or Butch Cassidy would have sounded so much better on it. 

Sccit

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »
YEA IT WAS THE SINGIN THE KILLED IT....OTHER THAN THAT, 5/5 JOINT

DJSpin

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »

But question for my dudes on this page...that intro that he scratches into this track think it's on the track or think it's a separate song/beat? Cuz those trumpets go so hard

This!  The first beat is off the chains!!!

clydebankblitz

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »
Maaaaaaaaaan I'm gutted that I didn't like Game's verse here. Game imo is actually REALLY underrated at times. When he's on he can absolutely kill it. The beat on this is awesome, proper old school westcoast feeling.

Alright now Quik's verse is in and he's keeping it simple and that's all I want from him. Is he the best rapper? Is he Eminem, 2pac, someone from AOTP? Nah. Do I give a fuck? Nah. If I want to hear dudes chaining 50 multis together, it's out there. But if I want to play something on a sunny day, smoking a blunt and drinking a few beers, THIS is the music you want to blast.

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
People on this site have been continually criticizing west coast artists for not utilizing/bringing back this sound for over a decade. Yet when someone like Game, who obviously has come in from day one with persona of absorbing different styles and being a commentator in hip-hop delivers a clear homage track with Quik people are quick to pull out the biting card.

First off he isn't doing an exact replica of Suga Free's flow at all. Quik's whole camp, including Quik himself, had a very similar vibe. Game is tapping into the styles of Quik, Mausberg, AMG, Suga Free and Hi-C all in one go. It's just that late 90s early 2000s sound Quik's camp was putting out. Again, this is an homage joint, down to the raw way both Game and Quik's vocals were recorded.

More than anything it's cool to see someone actually come close to reproducing a vibe they were obviously influenced by over 15 years ago. It's a solid homage track.

Salo

• 'G'
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »
Quik & Game handled their business!!!!! People be lookin' to deep into stuff like this!

JUST ENJOY THE TRACK.................it's not everyday that we get a Quik exclusive like this! There's nothing bad about these 2 tracks. This is the Quik we like to hear & give Game his credit, dude be gettin down.

You guys should be askin why Dr. Dre's - "Compton" doesn't have QUIK on it & why it's a Dre album yet it's produced by every other stranger producer in the game. Doesn't even sound like a West Coast album. When u hear a Quik track/album YOU KNOW IT'S QUIK. When you hear a Timbaland track/album, YOU KNOW IT'S TIMBALAND. When you hear a Pharrell track/album, YOU KNOW IT'S PHARREL. Years ago, when you heard a Dre track/album YOU KNEW IT WAS DR. DRE. The last feeling you got from hearing true Dre production on an album was Busta Rhyme's Big Bang; other than that everything has been "MIXED" by Dr. Dre or "ENGINEERED" by Dr. Dre. We didn't wait 16 years full of broken promises of release dates & titles to hear a Dre "MIXED" album. We stayed TRUE through all of that to hear a "Dre PRODUCED" album.............................................

...........................That so-called "Dr. Dre" album that he made us wait 16 years to hear SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH DRE or even the westcoast. He "MIXED" it. Wooooooow! We shouldn't even call him a producer anymore, we should call him, "Super-Mixer" Dr. Dre. Focus and a bunch a random other people produced a Dre album. What??????

AND I AM 1 OF THE BIGGEST DRE FANS out there (still am) but he let people down on that one. Be honest, did u get the same feeling when you heard this "Compton" album that you got when you heard "Nuthin But A G-thang" back in 92?? Did you get that same feeling when you first heard "Still D.R.E." back in 1999?? Did u get any feeling of awe or excitement that shook your whole world when you heard this Dre album?????? Just be honest with yourself about that question, whether you like Dre or not.

I decided to say all this because I barely post anything on here & why are we knockin Game for some mixed up notion about Suga Free when we aren't questioning Dr. Dre for an "OK" album that doesn't sound anything like Dr. Dre production, doesn't sound anything like a West Coast album except for maybe 2 or 3 tracks & it is titled: Compton, yet it doesn't have Dj Quik or MC Eiht on an album that has to do with where those 2 rap pioneers came from. I'm still a MAJOR Dr. Dre fan but after 16 years.......his album was a true disapointment. & NO, it is NOT the future of music, it is a random compilation that should've been considered a Focus album rather than a Dre album.

Quik & Game manage to keep it West Coast on many occasions & they rep Compton & the Coast to tha fullest & THEY SHOULD BE GETTIN MORE CREDIT for their efforts!

WEST!!!!! All Love.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:18:12 PM by Salo »

Chef_YRD

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »
Man I've been at work all day and couldn't respond to everything as it happened so here it goes

My guy up there is on point with the life jacket critiques you get where I'm coming from...I think it's 5/5 but it could've definitely sounded more abrasive or viseral...it's very crisp almost lush but it could use more roughness...on headphones tho that cymbal or whatever that is dancing from ear to ear is incredible,I always try and find one focal point in a quik beat and it seems to open up the whole instrumental and that's what it is on that track even tho the guitar strings are so hard not to focus on

But I'm really hoping that intro is from a whole different beat entirely because it was so raw almost like a balance and options track...

Ever since the RED album game has seemed to try and bite every artist he works with on the tracks he works with them on I remember hearing that goblin song with Tyler the creator and just SMH haha...

On a side note do you guys see the comments on the YouTube video? Quiks getting some dope props  8)

"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 10:49:07 PM »
First off he isn't doing an exact replica of Suga Free's flow at all. Quik's whole camp, including Quik himself, had a very similar vibe. Game is tapping into the styles of Quik, Mausberg, AMG, Suga Free and Hi-C all in one go. It's just that late 90s early 2000s sound Quik's camp was putting out. Again, this is an homage joint, down to the raw way both Game and Quik's vocals were recorded.

That's fair. Suga Free is obviously the first name that comes to mind when you hear the flow but I can hear a little AMG aswell. Which you have to give Game credit for, those guys all have very unique flows.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Sccit

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2015, 12:50:32 AM »
People on this site have been continually criticizing west coast artists for not utilizing/bringing back this sound for over a decade. Yet when someone like Game, who obviously has come in from day one with persona of absorbing different styles and being a commentator in hip-hop delivers a clear homage track with Quik people are quick to pull out the biting card.

More than anything it's cool to see someone actually come close to reproducing a vibe they were obviously influenced by over 15 years ago. It's a solid homage track.

nice observation and dope username