Author Topic: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People  (Read 2538 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »
I want to reply, t everyone else sort of said what I would say. So I'll just say this..

Dude, Dr. Dre is 50 years old. Not sure if he has any grandkids, but seriously his older children are in their 30's. This album was made by grandpa Dre. It will be what it is. I think he's going more with the Kendrick model, make an album with no singles, and just have radio stations pick the singles. It really seems he respects the hell out of Kendrick and what he does, and is using that model to appeal to the next generation. We'll see.

But to me, the album was good, not a classic like Chronic or 2001. Those albums changed the game, this album showed how much Dr. Dre has changed. But it will get some artist some love. Much respect.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
Nobody knows who's Kurupt nowadays.

This is silly hyperbole.  Kurupt was recently featured on major studio albums by Schoolboy Q and Miguel.

I don't think Compton is pop music, but musically it's far below Dre's previous two albums.  And I was amazed at how poor the writing is on the album.

If you're white and hate the album, does that mean you have street cred now?  ;D

I agree with you about the writing. The album is clearly the product of teams of ghost-writers. It's completely incoherent, there's no personality in these songs at all. And the ghostwritten verses sound competent, but they don't come together to produce a good song. 

The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Chef_YRD

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
my opinion on this

1. If I don't use my SPF during the summer I burn up real fast...and I didn't like the album

2. With that being said I get where the OPs coming from...he doesn't mean Caucasian as much as he means suburban and knowing that I'm not offended by his comments I actually agree

3. You rap fans are crazy tho it's either "why can't so and so make music like they used to?" Or its "why did they sell out to fit in?" Or in the case of the ignorant one no matter what gets released by the artist if they're over a certain age it's inferior,sounding like a Peter Pan crew supervisor or menudos manager...if an old school artist tries what's modern they're selling out,if they stay true they're played out...I would hate to be an artist with fans like these
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »
lol they killed a woman on the album and it's "politically correct"..some1 didnt listen

MOBNigga06

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »
First off: KILLING or RAPING a bitch is NOT gangsta. It never was. It's some mentally ill, disturbed shit, that white people find fascinating, just like they find horror movies fascinating.

Gangsta rap misogyny is about FUCKING a lot of bitches by means of game, charisma, power, and persuasion. It's about having a lot of bitches on your dick, not about killing or raping bitches. And it's most of all about enjoying life and not giving a fuck.

Chef_YRD gets my point about the kind of "white people" this album is meant to attract. Of course white people have always listened to rap music. But this album was clearly constructed with a certain kind of white audience in mind, the kind that doesn't want to hear the word "nigga" too often, the kind that doesn't want to hear too much politically incorrect gangsta shit. I know many people like this. You probably do too. The kinds of pussies who say "yeah, I listen to a little bit of rap music," by which they mean Macklemore, Iggy Azalea, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar.  

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Blood$

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
First off: KILLING or RAPING a bitch is NOT gangsta. It never was. It's some mentally ill, disturbed shit, that white people find fascinating, just like they find horror movies fascinating.

Gangsta rap misogyny is about FUCKING a lot of bitches by means of game, charisma, power, and persuasion. It's about having a lot of bitches on your dick, not about killing or raping bitches. And it's most of all about enjoying life and not giving a fuck.

Chef_YRD gets my point about the kind of "white people" this album is meant to attract. Of course white people have always listened to rap music. But this album was clearly constructed with a certain kind of white audience in mind, the kind that doesn't want to hear the word "nigga" too often, the kind that doesn't want to hear too much politically incorrect gangsta shit. I know many people like this. You probably do too. The kinds of pussies who say "yeah, I listen to a little bit of rap music," by which they mean Macklemore, Iggy Azalea, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar.  

you're doing a terrible job at trolling as this post makes little to no sense lol what the fuck is "politically correct/incorrect gangsta" shit?

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »

lol 70% of NWA content was about hittin, raping, and killing women.

this album is not for white people...it's for everyone. literally. it has that new school vibe that appears to the typical young club goer, and still has an old school feel to it at the same time. musically and sonically, it's on another level. dre is doin todays music wit a lot more authenticity and musical detail. u can hear hints of kendrick, kanye, j cole, drake, future, etc. all over this album, and thats what appeals to urban youth nowadays, not dj quik. dre basically took todays music and solidified it as authentic by doin it better than anyone else. and still, it has vintage dre sounds throughout.....so u cant say it's a sell-out album. it's dre updating his sound while stayin true to his musical genius. guarantee if u ask quik what he thinks, he will praise it harder than me. musical geniuses alike will all recognize the borders dre is breakin down wit this 1.

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »

you're doing a terrible job at trolling as this post makes little to no sense lol what the fuck is "politically correct/incorrect gangsta" shit?

he's not trollin, i actually see what he's tryna get at..but it's not true. even quik tried incorporating the new school sound into his last album, and it was great, but didnt come out as good as dre, who perfected the fusion wit this album.

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »

lol 70% of NWA content was about hittin, raping, and killing women.

this album is not for white people...it's for everyone. literally. it has that new school vibe that appears to the typical young club goer, and still has an old school feel to it at the same time. musically and sonically, it's on another level. dre is doin todays music wit a lot more authenticity and musical detail. u can hear hints of kendrick, kanye, j cole, drake, future, etc. all over this album, and thats what appeals to urban youth nowadays, not dj quik. dre basically took todays music and solidified it as authentic by doin it better than anyone else. and still, it has vintage dre sounds throughout.....so u cant say it's a sell-out album. it's dre updating his sound while stayin true to his musical genius. guarantee if u ask quik what he thinks, he will praise it harder than me. musical geniuses alike will all recognize the borders dre is breakin down wit this 1.
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

Blood$

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 06:39:42 PM »

he's not trollin, i actually see what he's tryna get at..but it's not true. even quik tried incorporating the new school sound into his last album, and it was great, but didnt come out as good as dre, who perfected the fusion wit this album.

he's gotta be trolling because none of his 'points' have any validity to them in the thread lol if he can answer the question as to what is/isn't politically correct/incorrect gangsta rap then I'll just agree to disagree  8)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
Purchased "Compton" yesterday on the strength of the reviews here, and I must say, it's the worst $14 I've ever spent on music. This is an album for mainstream white people who are uncomfortable with the attitude and themes of real gangsta rap. Instead of rapping about gangsta shit,, we get a bunch of corny raps about being troubled or depressed, rappers switching up their voices, doing impersonations, rapping way too fast for their own good, doing an artificial "angry flow," etc.

yo Mob.. I know you are a Suge loyalist and I don't know if that is playing into your take on this.... but how the fucc can you say this shit is pop when there isn't one single or one video on this one?  There is no song that you can say was contrived, or made for radio.   Dre was just in the studio trying to catch a vibe and make the dopest shit possible, homie.  This is far from pop, this shit hits hard as fuck.  There is not one song you can say is "pop" this is hip-hop st8 to the dome!
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MOBNigga06

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »

he's gotta be trolling because none of his 'points' have any validity to them in the thread lol if he can answer the question as to what is/isn't politically correct/incorrect gangsta rap then I'll just agree to disagree  8)

I'm not trolling. I can explain what I mean quite easily.

A horror movie where a million people are killed by a psychopath is not politically incorrect, because it's so over the top and implausible that it doesn't really offend anyone. It's not believable.

DJ Quik saying "hoes aint shit, ain't gon be, ain't never will be, and I'mma make you feel bad that you fucked me" is politically incorrect precisely because it's a realistic sentiment held by many people who fuck a lot of girls. But it's the kind of sentiment that one cannot give utterance to in polite conversation without offending upstanding citizens. That's why it's fun to hear it on records.

A rapper who has a believable persona on his records (like Too Short) is politically incorrect because he makes you believe he really thinks all this misogynistic, braggadocious shit. A rapper like Eminem who just says a bunch of over the top shit for no reason (like on Dead Wrong), on the other hand, offends no one, because no one really believes that Eminem is going to do anything like that. But I definitely believe that Too Short has fucked 1000s of girls, played em, and moved on, while being a real nigga and getting money. That's the difference.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:14:46 PM by MOBNigga06 »

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 07:36:29 PM »
Purchased "Compton" yesterday on the strength of the reviews here, and I must say, it's the worst $14 I've ever spent on music. This is an album for mainstream white people who are uncomfortable with the attitude and themes of real gangsta rap. Instead of rapping about gangsta shit,, we get a bunch of corny raps about being troubled or depressed, rappers switching up their voices, doing impersonations, rapping way too fast for their own good, doing an artificial "angry flow," etc.

yo Mob.. I know you are a Suge loyalist and I don't know if that is playing into your take on this.... but how the fucc can you say this shit is pop when there isn't one single or one video on this one?  There is no song that you can say was contrived, or made for radio.   Dre was just in the studio trying to catch a vibe and make the dopest shit possible, homie.  This is far from pop, this shit hits hard as fuck.  There is not one song you can say is "pop" this is hip-hop st8 to the dome!

on point

Sccit

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 07:38:03 PM »

he's gotta be trolling because none of his 'points' have any validity to them in the thread lol if he can answer the question as to what is/isn't politically correct/incorrect gangsta rap then I'll just agree to disagree  8)

I'm not trolling. I can explain what I mean quite easily.

A horror movie where a million people are killed by a psychopath is not politically incorrect, because it's so over the top and implausible that it doesn't really offend anyone. It's not believable.

DJ Quik saying "hoes aint shit, ain't gon be, ain't never will be, and I'mma make you feel bad that you fucked me" is politically incorrect precisely because it's a realistic sentiment held by many people who fuck a lot of girls. But it's the kind of sentiment that one cannot give utterance to in polite conversation without offending upstanding citizens. That's why it's fun to hear it on records.

A rapper who has a believable persona on his records (like Too Short) is politically incorrect because he makes you believe he really thinks all this misogynistic, braggadocious shit. A rapper like Eminem who just says a bunch of over the top shit for no reason (like on Dead Wrong), on the other hand, offends no one, because no one really believes that Eminem is going to do anything like that. But I definitely believe that Too Short has fucked 1000s of girls, played em, and moved on, while being a real nigga and getting money. That's the difference.

but when ur a billionaire and your company is partnered with apple, it's pretty politically incorrect to shoot a female in her face on your album.....i dont think dre was trying to do anything but get this music off his chest. like infinite pointed out, if he wanted this to be a pop record, it woulda been promoted a lot harder. this is genuine dre. he's not a gangster, get over it bruh. it's musically exceptional and he's speakin on real life shit.

Chef_YRD

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 08:18:46 PM »
To be real trying to emulate or incoporate a new school sound is obviously going after what's popular and I also think that the consumers of hip hop are no longer predominately urban these days so my guy has a valid argument...he's not one to flop and will create a product that is highly purchased and if he changes with the times to do that by bringing in co-producers,writers, or guest features it's expected...what's popular is pop after all....quik on the other hand never makes music simply for profit listen to interviews he hasn't made a profit since trauma on record sales alone he makes music as a form of expression and the midnight life is full of exames of it through his experimentation not conformity even if e dabbled in it
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"