Author Topic: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People  (Read 2592 times)

Sccit

Re: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
To be real trying to emulate or incoporate a new school sound is obviously going after what's popular and I also think that the consumers of hip hop are no longer predominately urban these days so my guy has a valid argument...he's not one to flop and will create a product that is highly purchased and if he changes with the times to do that by bringing in co-producers,writers, or guest features it's expected...what's popular is pop after all....quik on the other hand never makes music simply for profit listen to interviews he hasn't made a profit since trauma on record sales alone he makes music as a form of expression and the midnight life is full of exames of it through his experimentation not conformity even if e dabbled in it

QUIK CLEARLY TRIED EMULATING THE NEW SOUND ON HIS LATEST ALBUM....I DIDNT HEAR NOTHIN BOUT THAT THO. MUSIC, JUST LIKELY ANYTHING ELSE IN LIFE, EVOLVES. DRE JUST PUT HIS STAMP ON THE EVOLUTION, THATS ALL.....QUIK TRIED TOO, BUT NO ONE DOES IT LIKE DRE.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »
None of the familiar rappers even sound like themselves on this album. It's clear that Dre did to them what he did to Too Short: gave them a verse written by someone else and forced them to perform it until it satisfied him.

Cant argue with this. Ice Cube really struggled trying to recite his verse, there was no flow to it at all. And that "guess you can say today was a good day" line smh.

Snoop sounded nothing like himself on"One Shot Kill". He pulled it off nice and the song came off dope, but I wanted a real Snoop/Dre song, not Snoop doing Jon Connor karaoke.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Blood$

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »
First off: KILLING or RAPING a bitch is NOT gangsta. It never was. It's some mentally ill, disturbed shit, that white people find fascinating, just like they find horror movies fascinating.

Gangsta rap misogyny is about FUCKING a lot of bitches by means of game, charisma, power, and persuasion. It's about having a lot of bitches on your dick, not about killing or raping bitches. And it's most of all about enjoying life and not giving a fuck.

Chef_YRD gets my point about the kind of "white people" this album is meant to attract. Of course white people have always listened to rap music. But this album was clearly constructed with a certain kind of white audience in mind, the kind that doesn't want to hear the word "nigga" too often, the kind that doesn't want to hear too much politically incorrect gangsta shit. I know many people like this. You probably do too. The kinds of pussies who say "yeah, I listen to a little bit of rap music," by which they mean Macklemore, Iggy Azalea, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar.  

you're doing a terrible job at trolling as this post makes little to no sense lol what the fuck is "politically correct/incorrect gangsta" shit?

he's not trollin, i actually see what he's tryna get at..but it's not true. even quik tried incorporating the new school sound into his last album, and it was great, but didnt come out as good as dre, who perfected the fusion wit this album.

he's gotta be trolling because none of his 'points' have any validity to them in the thread lol if he can answer the question as to what is/isn't politically correct/incorrect gangsta rap then I'll just agree to disagree  8)

I'm not trolling. I can explain what I mean quite easily.

A horror movie where a million people are killed by a psychopath is not politically incorrect, because it's so over the top and implausible that it doesn't really offend anyone. It's not believable.

DJ Quik saying "hoes aint shit, ain't gon be, ain't never will be, and I'mma make you feel bad that you fucked me" is politically incorrect precisely because it's a realistic sentiment held by many people who fuck a lot of girls. But it's the kind of sentiment that one cannot give utterance to in polite conversation without offending upstanding citizens. That's why it's fun to hear it on records.

A rapper who has a believable persona on his records (like Too Short) is politically incorrect because he makes you believe he really thinks all this misogynistic, braggadocious shit. A rapper like Eminem who just says a bunch of over the top shit for no reason (like on Dead Wrong), on the other hand, offends no one, because no one really believes that Eminem is going to do anything like that. But I definitely believe that Too Short has fucked 1000s of girls, played em, and moved on, while being a real nigga and getting money. That's the difference.

fair enough lol

MOBNigga06

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50:50 PM »
To be real trying to emulate or incoporate a new school sound is obviously going after what's popular and I also think that the consumers of hip hop are no longer predominately urban these days so my guy has a valid argument...he's not one to flop and will create a product that is highly purchased and if he changes with the times to do that by bringing in co-producers,writers, or guest features it's expected...what's popular is pop after all....quik on the other hand never makes music simply for profit listen to interviews he hasn't made a profit since trauma on record sales alone he makes music as a form of expression and the midnight life is full of exames of it through his experimentation not conformity even if e dabbled in it

QUIK CLEARLY TRIED EMULATING THE NEW SOUND ON HIS LATEST ALBUM....I DIDNT HEAR NOTHIN BOUT THAT THO. MUSIC, JUST LIKELY ANYTHING ELSE IN LIFE, EVOLVES. DRE JUST PUT HIS STAMP ON THE EVOLUTION, THATS ALL.....QUIK TRIED TOO, BUT NO ONE DOES IT LIKE DRE.

I don't understand how you can say that about Midnight Life. The only song on it that sounds remotely similar to current DJ Mustard-style production is Trapped on the Tracks. But Quik has been making tracks like that for years, and he influenced Mustard, so it's not quite accurate to view him as "copying" Mustard there. But in any case, the rest of the songs on the album sound nothing at all like what's popular in rap music right now. In fact, songs like Life Jacket and Fuck All Night are so unique and dope that they sound like nothing else I've ever heard.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
None of the familiar rappers even sound like themselves on this album. It's clear that Dre did to them what he did to Too Short: gave them a verse written by someone else and forced them to perform it until it satisfied him.

Cant argue with this. Ice Cube really struggled trying to recite his verse, there was no flow to it at all. And that "guess you can say today was a good day" line smh.

Snoop sounded nothing like himself on"One Shot Kill". He pulled it off nice and the song came off dope, but I wanted a real Snoop/Dre song, not Snoop doing Jon Connor karaoke.

I find it difficult even to recognize Dre's voice on this album and distinguish it from his no-name collaborators. Dre sounds nothing like himself on here. I can only tell it's him when he starts talking about something specific to his life.

There's another problem with this album that hasn't been mentioned: real rap music isn't supposed to sound so artificial. Straight Outta Compton was recorded in 6 weeks. Tupac recorded the best rap songs in history at a pace of 3 or more songs a day. This album, on the other hand, is the product of Dre's belief that you can create a good album by calculating everything: hiring a team of writers, using writers for rappers who don't need writers (like Ice Cube), forcing rappers to do a hundred takes, trying to make everyone sound angry and crazy in their verse. It's just ridiculous. Pac would be rolling in his grave if the nigga wasn't cremated.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Chef_YRD

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »

I don't understand how you can say that about Midnight Life. The only song on it that sounds remotely similar to current DJ Mustard-style production is Trapped on the Tracks. But Quik has been making tracks like that for years, and he influenced Mustard, so it's not quite accurate to view him as "copying" Mustard there. But in any case, the rest of the songs on the album sound nothing at all like what's popular in rap music right now. In fact, songs like Life Jacket and Fuck All Night are so unique and dope that they sound like nothing else I've ever heard.

Took the words right out of my mouth MOB....although I'd say about 2.5 songs sound influenced by new school by way of trap music or new west.....Shine (my least favorite track) or That Getter (which bangs) I'll award .5 for trapped on the tracks because without the chorus it's reminiscent of a trauma left over with a tiny bit of maybe hyphy music tossed in...idk many songs out that use a train or what sounds like a distorted music box or horns that I can say is popular...

That niggas crazy
Back that shit up
Puffin the dragon
Pet cemetary
Life jacket
The conduct
Fuck all night

Almost Every track on this album is experimental and like you said I likes anything I've heard,I'm not going to argue that that makes quik better but I will say he's the farthest thing from pop or heavy influenced by it his music showcases the true evolution of an artist because while he's stayed true to himself he's tested the boundaries of what defines his sound without selling out...nothing on midnight life sounds like safe and sound or quik is the name but it also doesn't sound forced or influenced by anything popular minus the 2.5 songs mentioned

Dre isn't a bad artist but I'm just saying MOBs argument is one that can be made
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

Chef_YRD

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 10:10:48 PM »
It's unlike anything I've heard not I likes anything I heard ha
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

Sccit

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »

LIFE JACKET HAS THE CHEESEY FEMALE VOCALIST, HE TRIED DOIN WHAT DRE DID WITH MARSHA AMBROSIUOS .. HE HAD HIS SON DOIN "SWAG" SHIT THROUGHOUT THE ALBUM .. BACK THAT SHIT UP, THE GETTER, SHINE ALL HAD THAT CURRENT SOUND UNLIKE VINTAGE QUIK. BUT IT'S NOT WHITE PEOPLE MUSIC, IT'S YOUNG PEOPLE MUSIC.

Sccit

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 10:28:36 PM »

I find it difficult even to recognize Dre's voice on this album and distinguish it from his no-name collaborators. Dre sounds nothing like himself on here. I can only tell it's him when he starts talking about something specific to his life.

There's another problem with this album that hasn't been mentioned: real rap music isn't supposed to sound so artificial. Straight Outta Compton was recorded in 6 weeks. Tupac recorded the best rap songs in history at a pace of 3 or more songs a day. This album, on the other hand, is the product of Dre's belief that you can create a good album by calculating everything: hiring a team of writers, using writers for rappers who don't need writers (like Ice Cube), forcing rappers to do a hundred takes, trying to make everyone sound angry and crazy in their verse. It's just ridiculous. Pac would be rolling in his grave if the nigga wasn't cremated.

PRETTY SURE DRE KNOWS THE PROPER PROCEDURE TO MAKE A RECORD LOL, U BARKIN UP THE WRONG TREE FOLKS

CORREA

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 01:31:53 AM »

hey retard im sure new fans don't even know what he sounded like (;

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 01:38:33 AM »
i find it racist when somebody says "music for white people" in a pejorative meaning.
Oh... i forgot blacks can't be racist because they're black...  8)

doggfather

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 01:48:08 AM »
i find it racist when somebody says "music for white people" in a pejorative meaning.
Oh... i forgot blacks can't be racist because they're black...  8)

;D ;D

lol, sad but true...
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 02:09:43 AM »
why you dodging, blood ?  ;D   

stop taking this guy seriously, either he´s living in fantasy world or he´s got his own trolling style.

what set you from?

Campanella Park M.O.B.

Were there ever retaliations for Mausberg's murder? Is the killer still alive or is he thought to be dead?

they don´t talk to you about these things in the hood? maybe because you´re not from there  8)

G-Bee

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Vrije jongen
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 05:11:56 AM »
Purchased "Compton" yesterday on the strength of the reviews here, and I must say, it's the worst $14 I've ever spent on music. This is an album for mainstream white people who are uncomfortable with the attitude and themes of real gangsta rap. Instead of rapping about gangsta shit,, we get a bunch of corny raps about being troubled or depressed, rappers switching up their voices, doing impersonations, rapping way too fast for their own good, doing an artificial "angry flow," etc.

The album is so politically correct it's mind-blowing. I didn't hear one misogynistic lyric. Real rap albums are full of lines that are crude, but resonate with people because it's true shit you can't normally say in life. This is an album that was designed to make politically correct white people feel comfortable listening to rap music. Truly disgusting.

The production is weak too. There's not one song I heard and thought "I need to bump this in the whip with the top down." The production too seems geared to appeal to depressed teens dealing with issues. The beats are not for real niggas who want to enjoy life, fuck bitches, and get money.

People are surprised there's no Kurupt on the album...come on, how could you have a Kurupt verse appear on an album full of corny emo shit? Kurupt can't go five lines without saying some misogynistic shit. That's my nigga.

Also, fuck Kendrick Lamar and Eminem...their faggoty voices make their shit completely unlistenable to me.   

agreed 99%, but the gangsta part is what made West Coast rap popular with white folks back in the day, so it would be strange to think Dre switched it up because of white people

TidyKris

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 06:58:35 AM »

hey retard im sure new fans don't even know what he sounded like (;

You talk some absolute shit...so new fans only listen to current stuff and have never heard anybodys old stuff?

So if thats the case explain again how your other post works about "NWA - Stright Outta Compton" hitting the billboard chats again?

Do you even think before you speak?