Author Topic: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People  (Read 2539 times)

JonnyTanna

Re: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 07:01:10 AM »
I have to agree with mob's review I don't get how Dre who 'sets trends' just follows on from the horrific formula of current pop music. I can appreciate the work that has gone into this album but it's the moments with those terrible auto tuned vocals that sounds like the sloppy modern dancehall records that makes it hard to listen to this album. His over the top self flagellation and over emotional lyrics also ruin what could have been a great album. I think the cherry on the proverbial icing here is that I felt I had to adjust to this album. We shouldn't have to lower our tastes to suit it because it's an artist we support. I'll still support and encourage people to purchase this album as it beats a lot of the crap out there but doesn't mean it's not a step backwards in music

HighEyeCue

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »
its a different sound for Dre that's for sure...kind of like a fusion of various types of music

I wouldn't necessarily call it pop however

Sccit

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »
I have to agree with mob's review I don't get how Dre who 'sets trends' just follows on from the horrific formula of current pop music. I can appreciate the work that has gone into this album but it's the moments with those terrible auto tuned vocals that sounds like the sloppy modern dancehall records that makes it hard to listen to this album. His over the top self flagellation and over emotional lyrics also ruin what could have been a great album. I think the cherry on the proverbial icing here is that I felt I had to adjust to this album. We shouldn't have to lower our tastes to suit it because it's an artist we support. I'll still support and encourage people to purchase this album as it beats a lot of the crap out there but doesn't mean it's not a step backwards in music

theres really not that much autotune on this album...i cant even remember what song has it off top. a lot of genuine soul and r&b as opposed to autotune.

Shiram619

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
I wonder if Dre will ever release another compilation album. A part of me is telling me he will in a few years.... Hopefully he goes back to some good west coast vibes/tracks.

Compton was good.... but not his best work... The catchy melodies were missing- He needs to get back with Storch, Elizondo, Batson & Parker.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »
why you dodging, blood ?  ;D   

stop taking this guy seriously, either he´s living in fantasy world or he´s got his own trolling style.

what set you from?

Campanella Park M.O.B.

Were there ever retaliations for Mausberg's murder? Is the killer still alive or is he thought to be dead?

they don´t talk to you about these things in the hood? maybe because you´re not from there  8)

Homie, I appreciate the love. You talking bout me like we fucking or something! All I got to say is "I ain't on the net I'm in the set" (word to WC).
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2015, 09:23:15 AM »
I wonder if Dre will ever release another compilation album. A part of me is telling me he will in a few years.... Hopefully he goes back to some good west coast vibes/tracks.

Compton was good.... but not his best work... The catchy melodies were missing- He needs to get back with Storch, Elizondo, Batson & Parker.

Nah, Dre needs to find new Storch's and others. Once Dre gives you a chance, it's time to move forward, don't look back.

Sccit

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »
catchy melodies were there.....the second part of darkside/gone was vintage dre. satisfiction and animals are catchy as hell too. it's just too much to digest in one sitting, but once u let the true value of the album soak in, there's a ganga shit that sticks. the choruses by justus were surprisingly good too.

JonnyTanna

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:57 AM »
This video says it all

Chef_YRD

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »
This video says it all

No matter how much of this might be a lie it's still hilarious haha suges a fool man
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

johnnie360

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »
This video says it all

No matter how much of this might be a lie it's still hilarious haha suges a fool man

Haha this

MOBNigga06

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »
This video says it all

WOW I never even heard this before, but it all came true. Dre married a white girl, has white kids, and now he has finally released an album for white people - an album with no thuggery, no gangsta shit, few curse words, just the type of album to make white people feel comfortable listening to hip hop.

I shouldda clarified from the start of this thread that I'm not dissing white people who already listen to real rap music. They're cool to me. What I loathe are the white fans who are racist and don't listen to any music that "sounds too black." They'll fuck with Drake or Nicki Minaj but even Rick Ross is too much for them,
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Chef_YRD

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »
This video says it all

WOW I never even heard this before, but it all came true. Dre married a white girl, has white kids, and now he has finally released an album for white people - an album with no thuggery, no gangsta shit, few curse words, just the type of album to make white people feel comfortable listening to hip hop.

I shouldda clarified from the start of this thread that I'm not dissing white people who already listen to real rap music. They're cool to me. What I loathe are the white fans who are racist and don't listen to any music that "sounds too black." They'll fuck with Drake or Nicki Minaj but even Rick Ross is too much for them,

I can't speak for everyone but I knew what you meant I use the term "white people" all the time but what I really mean is suburban kids who never had to struggle a day in their life so they don't appreciate anything or relate to anything the ones with the lesser have had to endure...therefore our tastes tend to differ...a good example is an artist like wiz khalifa white kids love wiz dude...
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2015, 02:51:25 AM »

Homie, I appreciate the love. You talking bout me like we fucking or something! All I got to say is "I ain't on the net I'm in the set" (word to WC).

yous a salty bitch - getting on your toes and dodging the issue. just admit you´re a fraud, ain´t nobody following you around. fake gangbangers in 2015,smfh.  8)

if you´re in the set how come they don´t tell you about mausberg? you have to come to the internet to find answers? why you lyin´?

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2015, 10:00:11 AM »
literally. it has that new school vibe that appears to the typical young club goer, and still has an old school feel to it at the same time.

I only hear old school feel in like 2 songs. 

I agree with the original post, but it's meant for pop fans regardless of color.  I'm white as bread from the SFV yet I love gangsta rap. I can't relate to it but I feel and love how raw and real it was.  And I love the classic old school samples in it. 

As a white dude I say fuck Wiz, fuck Drake, fuck Nicki and fuck Rick Ross!!!   :oi:  That's all pop bullshit to me.

Like I said before, Dre knows what audience he wants, he's trying to run with the current crowd. He wants his music to be played with other top artists today.  The industry is so polarized now.  If he made street music, the homies would love it but pop radio would ignore it.  Can't have it both ways.  It is what it is.

YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

doublee313

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
Purchased "Compton" yesterday on the strength of the reviews here, and I must say, it's the worst $14 I've ever spent on music. This is an album for mainstream white people who are uncomfortable with the attitude and themes of real gangsta rap. Instead of rapping about gangsta shit,, we get a bunch of corny raps about being troubled or depressed, rappers switching up their voices, doing impersonations, rapping way too fast for their own good, doing an artificial "angry flow," etc.

None of the familiar rappers even sound like themselves on this album. It's clear that Dre did to them what he did to Too Short: gave them a verse written by someone else and forced them to perform it until it satisfied him.

The album is so politically correct it's mind-blowing. I didn't hear one misogynistic lyric. Real rap albums are full of lines that are crude, but resonate with people because it's true shit you can't normally say in life. This is an album that was designed to make politically correct white people feel comfortable listening to rap music. Truly disgusting.

The production is weak too. There's not one song I heard and thought "I need to bump this in the whip with the top down." The production too seems geared to appeal to depressed teens dealing with issues. The beats are not for real niggas who want to enjoy life, fuck bitches, and get money.

People are surprised there's no Kurupt on the album...come on, how could you have a Kurupt verse appear on an album full of corny emo shit? Kurupt can't go five lines without saying some misogynistic shit. That's my nigga.

Also, fuck Kendrick Lamar and Eminem...their faggoty voices make their shit completely unlistenable to me.   

I'm white and think the album sucks bad. I bump gangsta music and have been for 19 years.

I agree the album sucks bad, however it's not for WHITE people. It's for the younger generation. Just like my dad doesn't like anybody new since 1978. It's just the way it goes.

It's ignorance like this that divides races.