Author Topic: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People  (Read 2541 times)

Sccit

Re: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »
literally. it has that new school vibe that appears to the typical young club goer, and still has an old school feel to it at the same time.

I only hear old school feel in like 2 songs. 

I agree with the original post, but it's meant for pop fans regardless of color.  I'm white as bread from the SFV yet I love gangsta rap. I can't relate to it but I feel and love how raw and real it was.  And I love the classic old school samples in it. 

As a white dude I say fuck Wiz, fuck Drake, fuck Nicki and fuck Rick Ross!!!   :oi:  That's all pop bullshit to me.

Like I said before, Dre knows what audience he wants, he's trying to run with the current crowd. He wants his music to be played with other top artists today.  The industry is so polarized now.  If he made street music, the homies would love it but pop radio would ignore it.  Can't have it both ways.  It is what it is.

Naah there's an old school vibe throughout .. Darkside/gone, the game song, animals, talking to my diary ..... Some of the beats are boom bap and some are modern. It's a good blend.

Sccit

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »
Purchased "Compton" yesterday on the strength of the reviews here, and I must say, it's the worst $14 I've ever spent on music. This is an album for mainstream white people who are uncomfortable with the attitude and themes of real gangsta rap. Instead of rapping about gangsta shit,, we get a bunch of corny raps about being troubled or depressed, rappers switching up their voices, doing impersonations, rapping way too fast for their own good, doing an artificial "angry flow," etc.

None of the familiar rappers even sound like themselves on this album. It's clear that Dre did to them what he did to Too Short: gave them a verse written by someone else and forced them to perform it until it satisfied him.

The album is so politically correct it's mind-blowing. I didn't hear one misogynistic lyric. Real rap albums are full of lines that are crude, but resonate with people because it's true shit you can't normally say in life. This is an album that was designed to make politically correct white people feel comfortable listening to rap music. Truly disgusting.

The production is weak too. There's not one song I heard and thought "I need to bump this in the whip with the top down." The production too seems geared to appeal to depressed teens dealing with issues. The beats are not for real niggas who want to enjoy life, fuck bitches, and get money.

People are surprised there's no Kurupt on the album...come on, how could you have a Kurupt verse appear on an album full of corny emo shit? Kurupt can't go five lines without saying some misogynistic shit. That's my nigga.

Also, fuck Kendrick Lamar and Eminem...their faggoty voices make their shit completely unlistenable to me.   

I'm white and think the album sucks bad. I bump gangsta music and have been for 19 years.

I agree the album sucks bad, however it's not for WHITE people. It's for the younger generation. Just like my dad doesn't like anybody new since 1978. It's just the way it goes.

It's ignorance like this that divides races. 

Exactly what I said .. It's young music, not white. Pretty universal in terms of sound.

johnnie360

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
^ You nailed it Home Skillet. Times have changed. The newer generation looks at music as music. Fading quickly in many cases are region borders, and who music is made FOR. So many things that were "Black and White" in the past are melded together, with all cultures embracing bits of each other a true melting pot emerging. Now this is not case everywhere with everything, everywhere, but in most lower to upper middle class regions and areas that have a mix of races, you see most people kind of looking the same and enjoying the same music.

Everyday I leave my house I see groups of teens of mixed cultures hanging out. I see black kids on skateboards, I see white kids listening to rap, I see so many barriers of even just 20 short years ago being broken down.

I think that is what the music reflects. Music that is universal. The music is for the youngsters, and the old folks like us who choose to embrace it.

It is a different time. I am glad that we have a vast old catalog of great archived music we can check whenever we want to embrace the times and culture we grew up in. But I am not mad at Dr. Dre for making music that everyone can embrace. This album reflects the time and society we now live in, much like the Chronic reflected the time and culture of 1992.

This is just a repeat of the past... When heavy metal came out in the 80's big time, the older guys who grew up with Led Zeplin and the "classic" rock, did not as a whole embrace the new sound. That is why is in the 1990's labor force the old timers always had classic rock blaring. That was their music.

Just like in the Old School Hip Hop days of the 80's the old timers in the 90's sometimes could not get on board with the new sound. The 80's were their era.

So it stands to reason that this is a generational issue that draws the same feelings and experiences across the board from the funk days, to the old school rap days, to the 90's rap days, to the now rap days.

From the oldies days, to the classic rock days, to the metal 80's, to the alt 90's to the whatever the fuck hybrids it melded into.

I think the larger point I am trying to make is that I hear alot of talk from people that say some of us live in the 90s and they over over. true they are over, but its the music we grew up on, and I have no shame in bumping what I love best, just like those before bump what was relevant to them. I will always bump my 90's music.

jman91331

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »
Man I don't know what your ears were doing when they were supposed to be listening to the album but it's nowhere near 'white pop' or whatever weirdo shit you used to describe it. I for one think it's a dope ass album. Dude's a 50 year old muli-millionaire successful mogul, married man,what is he supposed to be rapping about, thuggin, pussy? This is Compton from the perspective of Dr. Dre, not YG. Catch up.

johnnie360

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2015, 01:42:49 PM »
Man I don't know what your ears were doing when they were supposed to be listening to the album but it's nowhere near 'white pop' or whatever weirdo shit you used to describe it. I for one think it's a dope ass album. Dude's a 50 year old muli-millionaire successful mogul, married man,what is he supposed to be rapping about, thuggin, pussy? This is Compton from the perspective of Dr. Dre, not YG. Catch up.

This

TidyKris

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2015, 01:46:32 PM »
There is no such thing as "White" music anyway...thats the biggest load of shit i have ever heard.
People forget that in the 90's it was mainly the white suburban kids that were buying all the Deathrow Records, Ruthless, NWA
sort of music...thats why it got so big.

As for pop music...a hell of a lot of pop music is "Black" anyway and it has been like that for a long time

Sccit

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »
all i can say is, any1 who thinks "animals" is music for white people is trippin off they ass

MOBNigga06

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2015, 04:01:45 PM »
I would dispute the idea that what makes this album bad is that it's for YOUNG PEOPLE. It's for politically correct WHITE PEOPLE.

I love a lot of music that's made for young people, because it has that good, life-affirming vibe to it that was present in classic gangsta rap. I love a lot of what Mustard releases. Every song on Mustard's 10 Summers album and mixtape is for young people, and it's great to bump in the whip, especially when you got a bad young bitch with you.

One reason I say this Dre album is politically correct is because of songs like Animals (which has, incidentally, the best beat on the album). To make a song about being poor and struggling and hating the system is politically correct because that's what white people imagine life to be like for black people. That's the role that white liberals want black people to assume. They love an album talking about police brutality and poverty in the ghetto.

What's less politically correct is making an album about thriving in the ghetto, being a ghetto superstar, fucking bitches, getting money, and enjoying life (despite all the bad shit). That's what made The Chronic and Doggystyle politically incorrect. It was people who came from poverty talking about living an awesome life and being the man. Why does Dre now make a song about his difficult youth? Cause that's some shit that politically correct white people love to hear.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Chef_YRD

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
I would dispute the idea that what makes this album bad is that it's for YOUNG PEOPLE. It's for politically correct WHITE PEOPLE.

I love a lot of music that's made for young people, because it has that good, life-affirming vibe to it that was present in classic gangsta rap. I love a lot of what Mustard releases. Every song on Mustard's 10 Summers album and mixtape is for young people, and it's great to bump in the whip, especially when you got a bad young bitch with you.

One reason I say this Dre album is politically correct is because of songs like Animals (which has, incidentally, the best beat on the album). To make a song about being poor and struggling and hating the system is politically correct because that's what white people imagine life to be like for black people. That's the role that white liberals want black people to assume. They love an album talking about police brutality and poverty in the ghetto.

What's less politically correct is making an album about thriving in the ghetto, being a ghetto superstar, fucking bitches, getting money, and enjoying life (despite all the bad shit). That's what made The Chronic and Doggystyle politically incorrect. It was people who came from poverty talking about living an awesome life and being the man. Why does Dre now make a song about his difficult youth? Cause that's some shit that politically correct white people love to hear.

Dom and YG are dope too
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2015, 06:22:57 PM »
Dre's music has always been pop music for white people. lol where do you think you are? This forum is 90% white people who grew up when gangsta rap was mainstream. And Dre was the fucking architect of making rap music accessible to the masses.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »

The Chronic and Doggystyle aren't politically incorrect. What he did with those albums was take the music from N.W.A and strip all the politics out of it entirely. Made it purely music for people to bump in their whip and at the club.

Dre is 50 years old. His fanbase is 30 and up. He's married and has kids. He spends his days in the studio, promoting Beats, and relaxing at home. He doesn't fuck bitches anymore and he's nothing remotely like a ghetto superstar anymore.

Inferio07

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2015, 06:49:56 PM »
This album is for everyone who likes the art of music, and after watching the movie I see where Dre's state of mind was at. I appreciate this album, and it's not just for white people, it's for everyone who's wants to understand Compton. So many people expect to hear Dre from the Deathrow or NWA days but he's 50 with grown ass kids and a wife, and no I'm not white, I'm black, grew up in compton and can relate to it. There is not one thing on this album that doesn't relate to what I and other compton natives went thru,  so I have to highly disagree with u MOBNigga06, i understand what u are saying but the details of this album relates to what many compton/ LA natives went thru and the mind frame of how some of us thought or still think to this very day
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:04:06 PM by Inferio07 »

Sccit

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2015, 09:08:09 PM »

no, he makes songs like "animals" because thats whats relevant to these times...lol. u tryin too hard bruh. i can tell u prolly just skimmed thru the album wit hate filled ears and dint really give it an honest chance. was just bumpin it again and theres really nothin white about it outside of justus and eminem features. do u realize that this is what dj quik is most likely bumpin for inspiration right now? i swear 2 God some of them beats sound like what Quik was goin for on Midnite Life, only a lot more enhanced. i feel like u were waitin to make this topic even before the album dropped......now, i need a doctor, that might be the one dre song that sounded like it was catered to white folks, but thats cuz eminem wrote it. this shit right here....it sound nothin like i need a doctor. it's authentic music, bottom line. every time a songs about to end, it just gets better and blows u away..album of the year n it aint even close.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2015, 10:18:41 PM »

no, he makes songs like "animals" because thats whats relevant to these times...lol. u tryin too hard bruh. i can tell u prolly just skimmed thru the album wit hate filled ears and dint really give it an honest chance. was just bumpin it again and theres really nothin white about it outside of justus and eminem features. do u realize that this is what dj quik is most likely bumpin for inspiration right now? i swear 2 God some of them beats sound like what Quik was goin for on Midnite Life, only a lot more enhanced. i feel like u were waitin to make this topic even before the album dropped......now, i need a doctor, that might be the one dre song that sounded like it was catered to white folks, but thats cuz eminem wrote it. this shit right here....it sound nothin like i need a doctor. it's authentic music, bottom line. every time a songs about to end, it just gets better and blows u away..album of the year n it aint even close.

Nah, homie, I've now listened to the album straight through four times now. It's still a huge disappointment to me. I had no prejudice coming in: I loved 2001 - Xxplosive is one of my favorite songs of all time - and of course The Chronic is a classic.

Listening to it more, a couple tracks go from "terrible" to "tolerable," but the whole vibe is just faggoty to me. There's nothing cool or inspiring on it. Some albums are what you play when you're bout to fuck a bitch, other albums are to be played when you're getting money. What's this album for? To play when you're angry at the world or feeling gay or something? That's so not a part of my lifestyle I just can't fuck with it.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Sccit

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2015, 12:12:46 AM »

Nah, homie, I've now listened to the album straight through four times now. It's still a huge disappointment to me. I had no prejudice coming in: I loved 2001 - Xxplosive is one of my favorite songs of all time - and of course The Chronic is a classic.

Listening to it more, a couple tracks go from "terrible" to "tolerable," but the whole vibe is just faggoty to me. There's nothing cool or inspiring on it. Some albums are what you play when you're bout to fuck a bitch, other albums are to be played when you're getting money. What's this album for? To play when you're angry at the world or feeling gay or something? That's so not a part of my lifestyle I just can't fuck with it.

i play this album when i wanna hear top of the line sonically engineered music...i play it for the crispiest sounding productions in hip-hop. if music had an imax, this would be it.. forget the content, thats not what this is about. it's about the sound, and the beats bump, it's musically exceptional, and the raps are all on point to top that off. if u goin into a dre album lookin for the dopest raps, then u shoulda bought a tech n9ne album (who also a lotta peeps say is white music, but thats a whole nother topic)..but at the end of the day, the content is what u'd expect from a 50 year old married billionaire. he still talkin shit "stone cold killers in these compton streets".."get stabbed in homeroom shoulda skipt that class"..."from close range we official, cocaine money and pistols"....it aint really a family friendly album like u makin it out, it's pretty much a grown version of the shit dre been spittin bout since nwa came out. also, u makin it out to be some depressin album wit a buncha sob songs n shit, when the album captures pretty much every mood in it. the chorus on "life jacket" is just as gay as anythin on this album, and u prolly slap that shit twice a day. if u cant fux wit it cuz of content, then i aint tryna tell u how 2 feel. but u cant say it aint musically on-point.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:15:29 AM by Sccit »