Author Topic: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People  (Read 2542 times)

bigpimpin20

Re: The Truth About Dr. Dre's Compton: It's Pop Music for White People
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2015, 02:13:24 AM »
i think some of negative opinions on album got a lot to do with listeners. it aint a jab at nobody but i mean when chronic dropped  you was little kid happy that parents gave you gangsta rap allbum for christmas - cool, when 2001 dropped for the 1st time you knocked out some muthafucka for talkin shit to you - cool. when Compton dropped you dowloaded it from internet after workin for 12 hours in some shity work - not so cool

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2015, 01:23:20 AM »
Seriously? What sort of discussion is this? A 'white' album, could you define that a bit more precisely and do so by objective standards rather than just pulling a definition out of your lower intestines? Like the album if you do and dislike it if you don't, but do not claim your disliking it (which is fine) is because the album was catered to a different ethnic group than yours. That's some racist projection going on there. Let's assume you're not one of those persons who claims that only white people can be racist, but I'm not betting any money on that.

But sillier than that is that talk about 'manliness' and it being about living a hedonistic lifestyle. If you want to go there and define 'manliness' (and that's subjective, culturally defined and alltogether a pretty useless concept) how on earth can you say that living an irresponsible lifestyle where you only care about your personal gratification is manly or something to aspire to? It's immature, parasitic, vapid and shallow to live your adult life as a small kid caring only about the next time it's going to get some candy. That's a lifestyle no one should admire or desire. What's it ever going to lead to and what good is it to needlessly leave a trail of destruction and exploited others in your wake? You will be a lonely, creepy and despised old guy someday (if you're ever going to get old) and you might well already qualify as the first two. That, I think, is one of the great problems in rap and has been from the start, more or less: a powerful voice that's generally used to spread nothing but at best useless and at worst harmful life lessons to people that are way too easily influenced.

You know what 'real manliness' is? It is standing up for what's right, taking responsibility, being there for others, being a good authority figure and making your surroundings a better place for yourself and others to live in. Being a misogynist, drug-using, tantrum-throwing ass is not.

I had this co-worker that I'm sure the kiddies (be it physical or emotional or both) would describe as 'manly'. He was a loudmouth, dominant, did whatever he liked, had what you'd call 'game' (terrible term but hey) and didn't seem to have a care in the world. You know what happened behind the scenes? He never took any responsibility for his actions, didn't work to improve himself, racked up an enormous debt, lied himself into a corner, made a complete mess of his life in general...and in the end he was caught grooming a 12 year old for sex and was about to be sacked for it (and good riddance to him, I'd add). Things didn't come to that though, because this 'manly man' couldn't face the crows coming home to roost and committed suicide because well, when did he ever take responsibility? He left it to others (his co-workers, his family, his girlfriend he cheated on) to discover and clean up all of his mess because he was too pre-occupied with getting his kicks to ever care for anything or anyone. Extreme example perhaps, but a pretty good anecdote to show you there is nothing admirable about your definition of manliness.

As for 'Compton', I'm glad Dre realised he should make a grown man's album and not try to be the dumb twenty-something he once was. I'll tell you this too: as much as I like '2001', I've come to see 'The Watcher' and 'The Message' as the best tracks on there and you know why? Because they have serious and reflective lyrics instead of the hollow bullshit elsewhere on the album. Reflecting on your life, your place in the world and in hiphop is what a leading rapper/producer should do, leave the talking about nonsense to the no-names. I sincerely hope that rapping about the serious is to be a trend in hiphop and if it is, that it might inspire its fans to grow with it. There's more than enough stupidity in the world as is.   
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2015, 07:15:17 AM »
2 good replies... looks like that MOBnigga got aired out and left to dry  ::)

This album is for everyone who likes the art of music, and after watching the movie I see where Dre's state of mind was at. I appreciate this album, and it's not just for white people, it's for everyone who's wants to understand Compton. So many people expect to hear Dre from the Deathrow or NWA days but he's 50 with grown ass kids and a wife, and no I'm not white, I'm black, grew up in compton and can relate to it. There is not one thing on this album that doesn't relate to what I and other compton natives went thru,  so I have to highly disagree with u MOBNigga06, i understand what u are saying but the details of this album relates to what many compton/ LA natives went thru and the mind frame of how some of us thought or still think to this very day

Seriously? What sort of discussion is this? A 'white' album, could you define that a bit more precisely and do so by objective standards rather than just pulling a definition out of your lower intestines? Like the album if you do and dislike it if you don't, but do not claim your disliking it (which is fine) is because the album was catered to a different ethnic group than yours. That's some racist projection going on there. Let's assume you're not one of those persons who claims that only white people can be racist, but I'm not betting any money on that.
As for 'Compton', I'm glad Dre realised he should make a grown man's album and not try to be the dumb twenty-something he once was. I'll tell you this too: as much as I like '2001', I've come to see 'The Watcher' and 'The Message' as the best tracks on there and you know why? Because they have serious and reflective lyrics instead of the hollow bullshit elsewhere on the album. Reflecting on your life, your place in the world and in hiphop is what a leading rapper/producer should do, leave the talking about nonsense to the no-names. I sincerely hope that rapping about the serious is to be a trend in hiphop and if it is, that it might inspire its fans to grow with it. There's more than enough stupidity in the world as is.   

Sccit

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »

But sillier than that is that talk about 'manliness' and it being about living a hedonistic lifestyle. If you want to go there and define 'manliness' (and that's subjective, culturally defined and alltogether a pretty useless concept) how on earth can you say that living an irresponsible lifestyle where you only care about your personal gratification is manly or something to aspire to? It's immature, parasitic, vapid and shallow to live your adult life as a small kid caring only about the next time it's going to get some candy. That's a lifestyle no one should admire or desire. What's it ever going to lead to and what good is it to needlessly leave a trail of destruction and exploited others in your wake? You will be a lonely, creepy and despised old guy someday (if you're ever going to get old) and you might well already qualify as the first two. That, I think, is one of the great problems in rap and has been from the start, more or less: a powerful voice that's generally used to spread nothing but at best useless and at worst harmful life lessons to people that are way too easily influenced.

You know what 'real manliness' is? It is standing up for what's right, taking responsibility, being there for others, being a good authority figure and making your surroundings a better place for yourself and others to live in. Being a misogynist, drug-using, tantrum-throwing ass is not.

I had this co-worker that I'm sure the kiddies (be it physical or emotional or both) would describe as 'manly'. He was a loudmouth, dominant, did whatever he liked, had what you'd call 'game' (terrible term but hey) and didn't seem to have a care in the world. You know what happened behind the scenes? He never took any responsibility for his actions, didn't work to improve himself, racked up an enormous debt, lied himself into a corner, made a complete mess of his life in general...and in the end he was caught grooming a 12 year old for sex and was about to be sacked for it (and good riddance to him, I'd add). Things didn't come to that though, because this 'manly man' couldn't face the crows coming home to roost and committed suicide because well, when did he ever take responsibility? He left it to others (his co-workers, his family, his girlfriend he cheated on) to discover and clean up all of his mess because he was too pre-occupied with getting his kicks to ever care for anything or anyone. Extreme example perhaps, but a pretty good anecdote to show you there is nothing admirable about your definition of manliness.

this was a very white reply

Chef_YRD

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »

this was a very white reply

I know you're being sarcastic but this is hilarious because that's exactly what most people would say
"Colder than dolemite 3 o'clock on a North Pole night In a suit made outta hoe hair woven tight rolling Pluto rocks turned to dice"

"I'm like a dream forgotten by van gough you allergic to handsoap,plus you dome dudes by the van load,wouldn't give you a jacket at lambeau"

SuperSpider

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »
if music had an imax, this would be it.. forget the content, thats not what this is about.

That pretty much sums it up. Beats, production and overall sound of this album were all exceptional. Content on the other hand was just eh. I liked a couple of songs, but didn't see much replay value in the product as a whole. Definitely not something that I would still be bumping even just half a year from now.

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2015, 10:07:39 AM »
Just listened to It's All On Me, Dre's half-singing his lyrics???  He's never done that before.  Gee, I wonder why he's doing that now???   ::)
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

Sccit

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »
u know, i was listenin to the album again last night, and the very first song dispels mobnigga's notion of this bein "depressing/suicidal music"

"Ain't no new rap in my ear, too many depressed niggas
Emotional every song, deserve to have breast niggas"