Author Topic: The Temptin' Temptations  (Read 63 times)

Trauma-san

The Temptin' Temptations
« on: April 13, 2003, 10:07:02 PM »
Today on VH1 they showed that awesome mini-series "the temptations".  Wow, it went through all the old motown stuff that went down, and the guys they got to play everybody looked almost identical to the real thing.  Anyways, it told the story of the temptations, and it's really pretty sad.

The group was basically started by Otis williams and his friend Melvin.  Melvin sang deeeeeeeep bass (I've got a tape of them from the 80's, and he was a g)... Otis was one of the lead singers.  Anyways, they put together a group, Otis, Melvin, Eddie, Elbridge, & Paul.  they got signed to Motown, and Berry Gordy and the great Smokey Robinson were writing songs for them for 2 years, and they didn't have any hits.  Elbridge quit the group, and they replaced him with David.  Eddie sang lead on "The Way You Do the Things You Do" (written by Smokey Robinson) and they hit it off BIG.  So, finally they're famous.  David sang "My Girl", and they got REALLY FRIEKIN BIG.  Well, then David got a big head, so they kicked him out of the group.  By this time they had like a dozen hits.  They replaced him with Dennis, and had even more hits.  Then Paul became a drunk, and got kicked out.  He later committed suicide.  David (who had been kicked out) rejoined then got kicked out again, before overdosing on cocaine.  Otis's son died while he was on tour; Eddie died from lung cancer; and lastly, Melvin died from a heart attack.  It was really a pretty cool show, because you really got into the characters and following what happened to all of them.  At the end, it's pretty much Otis is the only original member left, and everybody he's ever known has died.  

Trauma-san

Re:The Temptin' Temptations
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 10:11:20 PM »
I know I sound obsessed, but I just read somewhere that when David died (the lead singer on 'my girl' and tons of others) estranged from the group, it was......... wait for it.............

Michael Jackson that stepped in and paid for the funeral (David was broke).