Author Topic: Golden Era (90's Music) One Hit Wonder's!!!  (Read 2099 times)

Sccit

Re: Golden Era (90's Music) One Hit Wonder's!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »

Just Let It Go, A Classic Song Don't Made You A Legend...

let what go? answer the question...what duo from the bay is greater than the luniz? is yukmouth not considered a top 5 emcee of all time from the bay? slap yaself and get back to me.

Ebenus Supremus

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 08:51:03 PM »

let what go? answer the question...what duo from the bay is greater than the luniz? is yukmouth not considered a top 5 emcee of all time from the bay? slap yaself and get back to me.

Don't be mean to kolaboy, sccit...
I like him.

Fun Luniz Fact - WC n Daz sampled I got five on it for the WCGS album.

kolaboy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 09:38:29 PM »

I like him.

lol Comedy... lol... Good Looking...
Fun Luniz Fact - I Got Five On It Was A Sample From Club Nouveau.... This Nigga Butt Hurt Cuz His Legendary Group Is A One Hit Wonder, So Get That Yuk Up Out Your Mouth And Open You Eyes & Read What Niggas Is Telling You About Making Hits & Making Music!!!

Sccit

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2015, 01:14:39 AM »

I like him.

Fun Luniz Fact - I Got Five On It Was A Sample From Club Nouveau.... This Nigga Butt Hurt Cuz His Legendary Group Is A One Hit Wonder, So Get That Yuk Up Out Your Mouth And Open You Eyes & Read What Niggas Is Telling You About Making Hits & Making Music!!!

yea bro im hurt because u think luniz are a 1 hit wonder, thanks for opening my eyes so i could read about making hits

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2015, 07:02:56 AM »
Sccit is crying but that is the truth... unless your influenced by heavy drug use enough to like Bay Area music—then the Luniz are one hit wonders with "I Got 5 On It".

...on the other hand Sccit is on point about Ahmad- "Back In The Days".  Off the top of my head—that's probably the only one of all these one hit wonder joints that I still bump to this day.  There's one other Ahmad song I play from time to time and that was his joint on the Jason's Lyric soundtrack was aiight as well.  I was always curious about what the rest of his album sounded like but never bothered.   But much props to dude, he seems cool.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2015, 08:12:40 AM »

I like him.

yea bro im hurt because u think luniz are a 1 hit wonder, thanks for opening my eyes so i could read about making hits

The term one-hit wonder is most often used to describe music performers with only one Top 40 hit single or for having one signature song which overshadows their other work.

I Got 5 On It was #8 on the charts. No other single of the Luniz made the top 40. Now their single Playa Hata did get to #13 on the rap charts and #51 on the R&B charts. But the Luniz only had one song on the top 40 pop charts, which means they are technically a One Hit Wonder.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2015, 08:26:02 AM »
Gangstas paradise

Coolio actually had a number of songs in the Top 40, including 1,2,3,4 (Sumpin' New) and Fantastic Voyage. Now was his time on top pretty short, yeah. Basically it was 18 months that peaks with Gangsta's Paradise. But in that 18 months, he put out a ton of music and capitalized on his success.

Puff n B.I.G - Mo Money Mo Problems

Seriously? Really? First off, Mo Money Mo Problems was a Notorious BIG song, and BIG already had top 40 tracks.

And Puffy, because someone said I'll Be Missing You, Puffy had at least 6 or 7 songs in the top 40. All About the Benjamins, Victory, Shake Your Tailfeather, I Need A Girl, Been Around the World, and lately Coming Home are just off the top of my head.

Sccit

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 09:09:41 AM »

I like him.

The term one-hit wonder is most often used to describe music performers with only one Top 40 hit single or for having one signature song which overshadows their other work.

I Got 5 On It was #8 on the charts. No other single of the Luniz made the top 40. Now their single Playa Hata did get to #13 on the rap charts and #51 on the R&B charts. But the Luniz only had one song on the top 40 pop charts, which means they are technically a One Hit Wonder.

His got a point

Sccit

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »
Sccit is crying but that is the truth... unless your influenced by heavy drug use enough to like Bay Area music—then the Luniz are one hit wonders with "I Got 5 On It".

...on the other hand Sccit is on point about Ahmad- "Back In The Days".  Off the top of my head—that's probably the only one of all these one hit wonder joints that I still bump to this day.  There's one other Ahmad song I play from time to time and that was his joint on the Jason's Lyric soundtrack was aiight as well.  I was always curious about what the rest of his album sounded like but never bothered.   But much props to dude, he seems cool.

Where is Ahmad (Faded off into obscurity).....Where is the Luniz (just released an album 20 years after "I got five on it")

U don't like bay music because u use music for nostalgia purposes and don't listen wit an open heart.. Plus, u usually only skim through albums, which doesn't help.

Sccit

Blood$

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
LOL I can't really agree or disagree if somebody says Luniz are a "one hit wonder" in terms of commercial success but to say they aren't legends and haven't dropped more than a few classic joints just shows plain ignorance

Operation Stackola was a classic album overall... and they had "Hypnotized" with Redman out after that album which I'm sure got some burn on MTV/BET
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:37:14 AM by Blood$ »

Sccit

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »
Nominated for an award 3 years after "I got 5 on it" came out as well

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »
Number 11 children

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/05/25-hip-hop-artists-people-think-are-one-hit-wonders-but-totally-arent/luniz

As I did mention, technically when it comes to the pop charts, yes Luniz are One Hit Wonders. Now are they still legends and NOT One Hit Wonders in the hip-hop world? Of course. They are in this little grey world that says they are One Hit Wonders, but they've had a huge impact in hip-hop.

For the record, all of these people listed, I'd call One Hit Wonders. What's funny is Rob Bass and DJ EZ Rock (My personal favorite of that list) is only barely a One Hit Wonder because It Takes Two got to as high as 38 on the pop charts. LOL. And Vanilla Ice, my least favorite on that list, is actually not a One Hit Wonder because he got more than 1 top 40 hit, but you can argue one song did over shadow his whole career.

So I guess it all is how you look at it. Sccit likes to look at it from a more in-depth hip-hop perceptive. In that case, the Luniz are legends. For the TECHNICAL term of One Hit Wonders, the Luniz fit in like a glove. They flouted around the underground, bubbled with their one hit and had a almost hit follow up and then went back to the underground. Many One Hit Wonders have done that. Some rock head right now is arguing that Crash Test Dummies is NOT a One Hit Wonder since they were influential a Canadian folk music rock band. But no one who doesn't listen to folk rock can't name a song outside of " Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" and they had no other song in the top 40. (Though I LOVE Superman's Song, that's one great song.) So yeah, to hip-hop heads, Luniz can't be a One Hit Wonder, but if you get technical and use the definition that is used for a One Hit Wonder, then yes they are.

TidyKris

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »
Yeah Luniz are definitely one hit wonders in technical terms but i know where Sccit is coming from.
From an underground hip hop stand point they are not one hit wonders...this is where the term "one hit wonder" comes blurred
and people have different opinions on what it means

Interesting topic though  8)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:11:10 PM by TidyKris »

Blood$

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
are DPG one hit wonders for "NY NY"? is Schoolboy Q technically a one hit wonder with "Man Of The Year" ? is YG technically a one hit wonder with "My Nigga" ?