Author Topic: Ervin EP Pope Interview Part II  (Read 217 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Ervin EP Pope Interview Part II
« on: September 12, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
Here is part 2 of our interview with Ervin EP Pope. Part 2 we discuss some of I2G’s favorite tracks that Ervin has contributed to over the years, west coast hip hop and much more. For part one of the interview, click on the link below:

http://www.illuminati2g.com/untouchable/2015/09/07/ervin-ep-pope-interview-part-1/

That leads perfectly into my next question. You have a multitude of hit records and I wanted to over some of my favorite records from you. Maybe your best memories or something that sticks out to you about the track. First track is The Game- Lookin At You on Doctor's Advocate, do you have any good memories about that track?

Yeah Lookin At You was my first production on Game. When I was working with Kanye, I did the keys on Dreams on his first album, alot of people don't know that. I stayed in touch with Game since the Dreams session and I submitted songs to him.

None stuck but at the ninth hour for Doctor's Advocate I got a call to come in the studio and play him some beats. Lookin At You was one of the first songs that I played for him as a producer. I remember seeing heads turn around in the room and he started writing to it immediately.

At first it was just going to be a interlude but Game said nah this needs to be a whole song. It ended up being the opening track for the album. That was a great moment.

That was one of my favorite tracks off of that album.

What's crazy is, alot of people swore Dr. Dre did it. Even in the comments, people was like Dre ghost produced that. I am a big fan of Dr. Dre so I felt good about that compliment.

Do you have any more plans to work with Game on any other future projects? I know your production was on that Purp & Patron series and LAX, but since then I don't remember your production on any of his other albums.

Actually I just linked back up with Game probably within the last 4 months. Because I was off on my own quest, cultivating my own artists and create a lane for myself to where I can eat forever.

As opposed to helping everyone else eat, that is why you have not seen me present on alot of Game's current projects. But we just linked back up and we have been doing alot of live shows and I put a band together.

We have been doing alot of shows and we are getting ready to do the Guitar Center Sessions with Game. I'm sure on future projects we will get it back in and make something happen, that's the homie.

Next track is G-Unit: Eye For An Eye. I know you contributed with the keys on that.

Yeah it was kind of similiar to the Kanye situation. At that time I was getting calls left and right from producers not from Los Angeles that needed musicians. Doing work previously with Aftermath, I got a call to work with Hi-Tek and lend my profession to that joint.

I heard some keys and bass points that I felt would enhance the track. Big ups to Hi-Tek for that collab and letting me work on that track. I was stoked by then to have continuous work, not just one but several producers calling at the same time for me to come lend to their production, it is a dream come true.

Next track is It's Your Life from Mack 10 on his Soft White album.

Yeah that is the joint with Mack 10 and Anthony Hamilton. I am a Anthony Hamilton fan and Mack 10 is holding it down for the west coast. Actually I submitted a couple of tracks and he selected that one. He called me a asked who should I feature on it and he brought up Anthony Hamilton and I said that is a no brainer.

That song came to life and I was glad to be a part of that project as well.

Janet Jackson- I Want You

Again I got to give a shout out to Kanye because back then because everyday it was a different artist. Faith, Janet, Syleena Johnson, Brandy to who knows. We would just set up sessions and I would not know half the time who it was going to be with. When the song was put it front of me, we would just add whatever elements we needed.

Alot of the songs I have been a part of, fortunately I have been able to have a great relationship and trust with the producers and they allow me to be me and be creative. To be able to work with Janet Jackson and lend and contribute to history, man I can't really describe it.

Being from the west coast and now we are 9 months into 2015, it's been a crazy year already. What are your thoughts right now on the music coming from the west coast? Straight Outta Compton movie came out, Dr. Dre dropped the new Compton album. What is also some music from the west that you are feeling right now.

I am elated right now, more so that we are getting the opportunity. The opportunity that is put in front of us we are knocking it over the wall, grand slam. Kendrick is doing what he is doing and being one of the premier artists out of the west coast, I would even have to say with the show Empire being a number one show and it is an urban show, talking about our issues and the music industry.

The NWA movie shedding light on what we have been going through FOREVER in the urban community with social injustices and before we did not have the visuals to show people what we have been going through. For that story to be put out there like that and to be well accepted and to do well in the box office and to be able to show Hollywood and producers, movie companies, and writers that there is a market for us.

I think the doors are wide open right now for other urban stories and other opportunities to come all around. Creating work for bands and musicians and artists, if you pay attention and put the things in place to where we can benefit from.

Being able to showcase your talent for an audience and not just feel like your work is just for a independent platform. The doors are wide open and I am proud of the west coast and I am proud of all the artists that are coming out of the west coast. You know the south had it for a while and I think right now all eyes are back on the west coast so it is time to knuckle down and get it.

You mentioned earlier you had some live shows. Do you have any upcoming that you have dates for?

I held off on tour dates. Right now this Scarface Deeply Rooted album is my main focus. Alot of promo stuff is going on right now but shortly after that I will pick which situation I need to do first and if Face comes out with a tour right off the bat, then of course that is my project right there. I have to see that all the way through.

Game we have some dates coming up, most recently Ray J called me and we are putting together a band for that and the band is super tight and he is doing all his hits. With him being so heavily in television, I think we are on to something real big and there is no telling where this is going to end.

It is good to see work coming down the pipes and being able to choose what I want to do. It also allows my partners and friends to make some money as well. Putting a band together is not just about me, it is also feeding my friends. The ones who are serious and on their game, it is a good feeling to be able to feed your crew.

Have you ever thought about doing your own compilation with your production and with different artists?

Absolutely. I did one a couple years ago. Bone had a movie, Bastards Of The Party. I did the soundtrack for it and it is on I Tunes and Snoop was on it, Game, Glasses Malone, a bunch of west coast artists and it is definitely time to do another one. I am sure I will be putting that together real soon. I like to be a reporter, I like to report what's going on in our hood, country.

I think it is our job to be reporters so I want different perspectives from different artists and let's let our voices be heard. I want to teach and strengthen our people.

Alright well that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. I must say I have been a fan of your work for a long time, so it is a big time honor for me to sit down and have this interview with you, I really appreciate it.

The pleasure is mine, I thank you for being persistent. I am glad I took the time to get to know you and find out what you are about. It is not always about a title and it first I was leery about it but once we had a conversation and seeing what you and the site is about and being now a part of this journey with you is a pleasure as well.

Thank you. Do you have any last words or shout outs?

Hit me on twitter: epmusic101. Instagram:epmusic. www.facebook.com/ervinpopemusic. So just be on the lookout for what we have coming out the west.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:00:22 PM by D-Nice »

terence chill

Re: Ervin EP Pope Interview Part II
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »
Bachelors Of The Party soundtrack?more info about the soundtrack? i couldn't find it in itunes!

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »
Bachelors Of The Party soundtrack?more info about the soundtrack? i couldn't find it in itunes!

Bastards Of The Party, my apologizes, typo

mrfranklin

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »
hes a factor and has some dope tracks

Blood$

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »
didn't realize he was involved with some of those mentioned songs before Doctor's Advocate... dope read once again