Author Topic: Does Dr. Dre have any kind of flow of his own?  (Read 786 times)

johnnie360

Does Dr. Dre have any kind of flow of his own?
« on: November 09, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
It glared at me today as I was bumpin "When It All Comes Down To It", and that song on "Kuruption". While we have always known Dr. Dre has had ghost writers, almost all his non album tracks he features on, you can not only tell who wrote it, but his flow sounds exactly like them too. Yes this is an age old topic and not "relevant", but what are your examples of Dr. Dre being HIMSELF on the microphone?

Sccit

Re: Does Dr. Dre have any kind of flow of his own?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
YEA, DRE'S FLOW VARIES.. IF U LISTEN TO THE KING MEZ TRACK OFF DOCUMENTARY 2.5, U CAN HEAR HOW MUCH KING MEZ'S FLOW INFLUENCED THE ENTIRE COMPTON ALBUM.

THING ABOUT DRE IS, HE'S USUALLY ABLE TO DELIVER THE VOCALS BETTER THAN THE ARTIST WHO WROTE THEM.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »
Yeah "When It All Comes Down to It" was painful. Knoc-Turn'als off-beat flow didn't work for Dre at all.

Exactly why DOC and Hittman were the best writers for Dre, they adapted a format that suited him PERFECTLY.

And exactly why the worst writers for him are Eminem and Bishop.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

HighEyeCue

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »
It glared at me today as I was bumpin "When It All Comes Down To It", and that song on "Kuruption". While we have always known Dr. Dre has had ghost writers, almost all his non album tracks he features on, you can not only tell who wrote it, but his flow sounds exactly like them too. Yes this is an age old topic and not "relevant", but what are your examples of Dr. Dre being HIMSELF on the microphone?

maybe early NWA days...

that song you referred to "Ask Yourself A Question?" was dope...nothing groundbreaking lyrically but delivered well as usual by Dre

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »
Yeah "When It All Comes Down to It" was painful. Knoc-Turn'als off-beat flow didn't work for Dre at all.

Exactly why DOC and Hittman were the best writers for Dre, they adapted a format that suited him PERFECTLY.

And exactly why the worst writers for him are Eminem and Bishop.

EMINEM WAS A GOOD WRITER FOR DRE

CORREA

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »
retarded thread
dre cant have his own flow he is a puppet

Blasphemy

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »

maybe early NWA days...

that song you referred to "Ask Yourself A Question?" was dope...nothing groundbreaking lyrically but delivered well as usual by Dre

Maybe not even during the N.W.A Era, possibly not even wrecking crew.  The OG Wrecking Crew style was essentially a rip off of everything that was in vogue at the time, the musical style, the costumes none of that shit was original by the time they put that group together.

As for the N.W.A day's it's possible Ice Cube or Ren showed him flow on what ever track they were working on. I mean shit, he technically didn't teach Eazy how to Flow, he just punched in "Boyz N the Hood" line by line. I mean his flow really depends on who he's collaborating with.  You can hear him sound like Eminem on Shadys records, Snoop during The Chronic,  He's basically never had a distinctive style that was his own. Sure everyone talks about The Chronic style of rapping, but everyone also credits that to snoop dogg.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »

maybe early NWA days...

I was kind of thinking the Efil4Zaggin album is probably the best representation of Dre as a rapper, in having his own flow.  Sometimes he comes smooth like "Alwayz Into Something" and other times he comes hard as fucc like on "100 Miles".... But on all accounts it kind of sounds like his own, it could be likely he wasn't even using reference vocals back then.

...But by the the time that The Chronic came around, I think some of the harder tracks he sounds like RBX may of referenced for him, on the smoother joints he could've came up with that flow on his own.

If you overlook the fact that he doesn't write his own lyrics, Dre is the #5 rapper of all-time, behind 2pac, Nas, Snoop, and Xzibit.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

bouli77

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »

maybe early NWA days...

I was kind of thinking the Efil4Zaggin album is probably the best representation of Dre as a rapper, in having his own flow.  Sometimes he comes smooth like "Alwayz Into Something" and other times he comes hard as fucc like on "100 Miles".... But on all accounts it kind of sounds like his own, it could be likely he wasn't even using reference vocals back then.

...But by the the time that The Chronic came around, I think some of the harder tracks he sounds like RBX may of referenced for him, on the smoother joints he could've came up with that flow on his own.

If you overlook the fact that he doesn't write his own lyrics, Dre is the #5 rapper of all-time my fifth favorite rapper, behind 2pac, Nas, Snoop, and Xzibit.

fixed

HighEyeCue

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »
I can see Infinites point of view, Dre was my favorite rapper in 90/91 when I first got into rap...his delivery, voice and flow were just so dope to me

jman91331

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »
Yeah it's kinda easy not to be your own flow when you have ghost writers that are a lot different from each other but I think even then he puts his "Dr Dre" as much as he can. But as far as who's his best ghost writer imma put it out there, next to possibly The DOC, Dre's best ghost writer is hands down Slim the Mobster. When Aftermath signed him everyone on this forum questioned that shit (saying he wa walk & all that) but once I heard him spit, I knew what it was. His flow compliments Dre perfect. That slow, deliberate flow. I haven't really sat there & guessed which verse Dre spit are pinned by Slim but the few obvious ones (Diary, that one on Marsha's last album, & that 1 on Slim's mixtape that Dre features on) those were perfect Dre verses as far as flow, he sounded  'natural' on the mic. Its a reason everyone seems to like Diary the best off of Compton & it's not the beat because it's harder beats on there.

bouli77

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »
it's true Dre is very dependent on his ghostwriters (make sense) and you can usually tell who wrote what... so I don't think he has a flow of his own per se but as Scitt said he always does the verses justice and his flow is on point, knowing that he is a perfectionist we can imagine he works pretty hard at it.

coincidentally (or not), my favorite Detox-era tracks were Popped Off (with T.I. & Sly) and The Recipe. I thought Dre sounded impeccable on these, although he's a bit too Kendrickish on The Recipe.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »
I would disagree with early 90's NWA-era Dre being the most reflective of his flow.  I'd say when he started flowing a little more relaxed, it became his signature.  And while Snoop influenced it, I don't view it as Snoop's flow.  Dre has a unique flow of his own.  It becomes less apparent in the post-2010 landscape where rappers are trying to play around with their vocals and have accents but for example, "Forgot About Dre" is Eminem writing the song so the flow is faster but it's not Dre doing 100 Miles & Running with his fast, yelling flow, he still sounds like he did on The Chronic, he's just flowing quicker to match Em.

Blasphemy

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »
I would disagree with early 90's NWA-era Dre being the most reflective of his flow.  I'd say when he started flowing a little more relaxed, it became his signature.  And while Snoop influenced it, I don't view it as Snoop's flow.  Dre has a unique flow of his own.  It becomes less apparent in the post-2010 landscape where rappers are trying to play around with their vocals and have accents but for example, "Forgot About Dre" is Eminem writing the song so the flow is faster but it's not Dre doing 100 Miles & Running with his fast, yelling flow, he still sounds like he did on The Chronic, he's just flowing quicker to match Em.
So he developed it via Niggaz 4 Life and The Chronic then, which would make sense because those was the first 2 albums were he really ended up Rapping a lot, were as before He had maybe what 2 songs on SOC rapping.

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
u can really tell how much dre is influenced by his writers style when u listen to "moment of violence" by game ft. king mez, jon connor, and jt........it sounds EXACTLY like dre sounded on "compton", to a t.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QiDUmvAxcEI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QiDUmvAxcEI</a>