Author Topic: 'To Pimp A Butterfly' is Rolling Stone's #1 album from 2015  (Read 652 times)

bouli77

Re: 'To Pimp A Butterfly' is Rolling Stone's #1 album from 2015
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »
people are about beats today that's why Kendricks album was sleapt on

people have always been about beats, especially on a west coast forum, where the production prevails over everything.

I don't think Kendrick's album was slept on, at all, It still makes noise to this day and this thread is a testament to that.

And I think the beats on TPAB are banging. The more I listen to it, the more I dig the production. Can't complain about the lack of regional sound this time as a lot of the beats sound "west coast" (whatever that means) as can be. This album is a constant grower. And listening to it from front to back gives more power to each track.

I thought this was way fresher and better than Compton, who I felt was a bit forced, experimental and unauthentic (not surprised considering it's Dre, who's not known for his spontaneity, but that's subjective), still a good effort (a grower also) and sonically impressive but nowhere near TPAB in my humble opinion.

Blood$

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
people are about beats today that's why Kendricks album was sleapt on

that's funny coming from you of all people

S.J

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 11:40:05 PM »
Kendricks album was definitely better than Compton. Compton was one of the most disappointing albums of the year, theres more to a good album than it being good sonically
But I'm a do it like this so your crew will know
Tie your leg to a car, tie the other to a pole
Talk shit and laugh cause I got the gift of gab
Hop in the car, hit the gas, watch your ass split in half
-Rappin Ron

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 12:52:09 AM »
TPAB was a great idea, great concept and lyrically on point but even with that I feel the album is boring to listen to.

I agree, when I first listened to the album in full it was through studio headphones and I was on a plane ride to Texas off a few edibles, so my first initial reaction was "wow this could be the greatest album of all time" but as the year went on I only found myself re-playing a few tracks here and there in the whip

not to say it's not a solid to near classic album by any means, it's just mood music where as Compton can be played in different settings and is just simply more digestible

Music is situational for most people.. That's why they don't understand that their opinion is fickle and overall meaningless. U have to be able to listen to music with a clear mind and conscience to truly critique it accurately.

Actually its true, aside from being in love, Compton fits generally any mood or situation.  More so than any Dre album, actually. 

The Chronic was good to blast in your car stereo speakers, or if you wanna feel badass or whatever... 2001 was alsop one to bump in the ride, and other tracks you could kind of listen in your headphones and even focus on some of the lyrics, as Em was comin into his prime on the album...

But Compton is different.  Compton has all of that and more.  It even has introspective tracks like "Its All On Me" that you can listen to in a somber, reflective mood, same with "Diary".

Dre's never really made love songs like other rappers such as Pac...but aside from that I think he shows a lot of range on Compton, more than his previous 2.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 06:04:00 AM »
Kendricks album was definitely better than Compton. Compton was one of the most disappointing albums of the year, theres more to a good album than it being good sonically

How can u say songs like deep water, all on me, all in a day's work, loose cannons, issues, animals etc are "only good sonically"? I don't think u really believe that, do u?

HighEyeCue

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 06:41:34 AM »
both albums are 2 of the top this year...I would say Compton is more slept on because of the lack of singles and promo for the album

me1

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 06:18:30 AM »
Compton at 48 is absurd