Author Topic: Snoop Dogg furious over Billboard “10 Greatest Rappers Of All Time"  (Read 1923 times)

Sccit

Re: Snoop Dogg furious over Billboard “10 Greatest Rappers Of All Time"
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 12:24:43 AM »
I personally like doggfather over last meal and top dogg is right up there too .... snoop is a master of the flow....He's not lyrically the best, but in his prime, he's a better rapper than jay-z. Jay-z was even biting snoop at one point. Jay-z doesn't belong in a top 5, unless it's a business acumen oriented list.

CORREA

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 12:35:16 AM »
In terms of impact, skill, sales, quality there is a tier 1 group consisting of 2Pac, Biggie, Eminem, Jay-Z and arguably Nas. These guys have the "full package". Massive impact, massive respect from other rappers, awesome skills, massive sales (with the possible exception of Nas, who was never THAT huge sales wise). This group of rappers is impossible to ignore on lists like these and I would probably question any top 10 that failed to include any of those five guys.

Then there is an old-skool group of highly influential 80's rappers like Rakim, KRS-one, Melle Mel, etc. On the one hand one could argue that these guys deserve a spot, on the other hand the game has evolved a lot since their time, and they furthermore suffer from hip-hop primarily being an underground phenomenon in the 80's (at least compared to what it became in the 90's and 00's).

Then there is a group of highly skilled rappers who for various reasons have had less of a cultural impact or commercial success, who you could argue belongs to the list solely based on skill level. From this group Kendrick Lamar is probably the most succesful and the one that is toughest to ignore for such a list.

Then you have a group of rappers whose argument is mainly that they were enormously succesful. This includes rappers like 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, T.I., Ja Rule, Snoop Dogg, Dr.Dre (the rapper, not the producer) and a whole host of others, including even maligned names like MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. The problem with this bunch is that they aren't really that highly regarded as masters of the craft, but rather as really succesful "pop"-rappers.

true you do have a point there should be 2 or 3 groups and one group should have the  2Pac, Biggie, Eminem, Jay-Z and arguably Nas

the sad thing bout the old-skool rappers is they are already forgotten todays gen wont even know the 90s rappers unless u was a house name but i predict 10 -20 years down
the road 2Pac, Biggie, Eminem, Jay-Z Nas and more will share the same fate 2Pac might survive tho i give him a 50/50

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »
Top 10 lists are hard to do no matter what... me personally my top 10 rappers are all about replay value at the end of the day.  Who can you listen to over and over again? Those are the rappers that have impact over time.  The Billboard list is not tested thru time (at best).  My top 10 in NO ORDER
2pac, DMX, Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, Snoop, Xzibit, Biggie, Ice Cube, Scarface.