Author Topic: Real Credits Of "Chronic" & "Doggystyle"  (Read 4426 times)

smp4life

Re: Real Credits Of "Chronic" & "Doggystyle"
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
What about the tracks Dre helped with but didn't get credit, like co-producing What Would U Do?

Anyone know the rest?

OH, YOU MEAN THE ENTIRE DOGG FOOD ALBUM?

At the very least, Dre mixed the record I believe.

Blasphemy

• 'G'
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »
What about the tracks Dre helped with but didn't get credit, like co-producing What Would U Do?

Anyone know the rest?

OH, YOU MEAN THE ENTIRE DOGG FOOD ALBUM?

At the very least, Dre mixed the record I believe.
The rumor is he ghost produced that, so it's sorta ironic the Dogg pounds own album were they actually got credit and didn't do as well (In comparison to the previous albums The Chronic/Doggystyle) is suddenly rumored to be ghost produced by Dr. Dre, and the thing is I've never heard dre try and claim that album, but Daz keeps trying to claim partial credit for The Chronic/Doggystlyle. IMO I think he's either remembering it wrong or trying to rewrite history.

Sorta like how Jerry Heller constantly says he knew "Boyz N The Hood" was going to be important amazing record, when in reality, he had no idea it was going to actually blow up, nor how to market it.

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 10:20:39 PM »
Dre definitely produced at least half of Dogg Food, snoop confirmed it..they were tryna bill daz as the next big producer on death row, so Dre only took mixing credit, although a lot of it is signature Dre to a T.

abusive

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 05:14:38 AM »
I honestly believe people are just trying to take Credit for Dres work because everyone back then has forgotten what really happen, trying to rewrite history. I'm not saying Dr. Dre doesn't get additional input, but the final product is what he approves of, regardless of it being a loop, a horn, lyrics, nothing stays on that track without his approval.
How so when it's common knowledge that he wasn't do that much work during the period n question, Daz and others have said that they gave Dre credit for their work and Dre has always had help? I look at Dre production as a brand. He make get the creid but chances are it's a team of people helping to craft the sound. Again before I get attacked, that not taking anything away from him. There's nothing wrong with it.
^You are doing what the industry does, downplays actually making music. So what if they use fruity loops? I do, didn't you want to do business with me? I'm tired of these gatekeepers who starving artist have to go to and give them a piece in order to get on. I'm done playing with them.

i got nothing against fruity loops or your beats, dont take it that way.....ive used fruity loops in my day and came up wit magic. but what im sayin is that, what dre does, takes a whole lot more than what your typical beatmaker does. bottom line.

if dre took one of your beats and produced it, you'd hear the difference and never want to make beats again, because only then will you understand that you never even came close to realizing the potential of your music........thats just what a production genius can do.
You can say that about anyone though. Anyone can take someone's beats and make changes to it and do something that the person who made it wasn't thinking about. That's why people often work in pairs and in groups. If the beat is a hit from the gate then it's a hit. This is the order of importance of a song and anyone in the business with tell you the same. Beat, Hook and then vocals. To say that someone is 'just a beat maker' is a lie of the industry designed to prop up 'super producers' and put them in a place to reign over others.

Also, I don't know if you think I'm trying to take anything away from Dre I'm not. All I'm saying is that most fans think he made the beats to alot of tracks where he actually just did what you said above. I even thought he made the beat to Still Dre until a few months ago when Scott Storch did a interview and took credit for it. People think the same about everything that came out on Death Row, that Dre did all the beats. Even Yella was doing alot to help with the beats back at Ruthless I'm just now finding out because he did promo for the movie.

bruh, i dont think u get what dre does...he doesnt just take a beat and makes a few minor adjustments. he recreates the entire beat to where he's 90% responsible for the final sound, where as the person who came up wit the beat idea is about 10% responsible. see the example above, you can hear it better than i can tell you.
That doesn't mean that he puts that much work into every track he gets.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MCsKiDtsEAQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MCsKiDtsEAQ</a>
11:25 mark on
and then
14:20 mark on

He played the keys on the track, exactly my point .. Session player, not producer. We know what a Scott storch beat sounds like witout Dre n it's not even close.
He played the keys, who played the bass, who did the drums etc. The question here is who made the beats, not who produced them. Also if you watch the video he says that him and Dre created that sound and then he goes on to say that he backed away from the sound basically giving it to Dre. Obviously if they helped create the sound together you wouldn't know who's sound it was. The same way I and the person who conducted the interview didn't know who's keys that song was. Anytime you hear that sound you just assume it's Dre just like Scott says.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Sccit

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »
I honestly believe people are just trying to take Credit for Dres work because everyone back then has forgotten what really happen, trying to rewrite history. I'm not saying Dr. Dre doesn't get additional input, but the final product is what he approves of, regardless of it being a loop, a horn, lyrics, nothing stays on that track without his approval.
How so when it's common knowledge that he wasn't do that much work during the period n question, Daz and others have said that they gave Dre credit for their work and Dre has always had help? I look at Dre production as a brand. He make get the creid but chances are it's a team of people helping to craft the sound. Again before I get attacked, that not taking anything away from him. There's nothing wrong with it.
^You are doing what the industry does, downplays actually making music. So what if they use fruity loops? I do, didn't you want to do business with me? I'm tired of these gatekeepers who starving artist have to go to and give them a piece in order to get on. I'm done playing with them.

i got nothing against fruity loops or your beats, dont take it that way.....ive used fruity loops in my day and came up wit magic. but what im sayin is that, what dre does, takes a whole lot more than what your typical beatmaker does. bottom line.

if dre took one of your beats and produced it, you'd hear the difference and never want to make beats again, because only then will you understand that you never even came close to realizing the potential of your music........thats just what a production genius can do.
You can say that about anyone though. Anyone can take someone's beats and make changes to it and do something that the person who made it wasn't thinking about. That's why people often work in pairs and in groups. If the beat is a hit from the gate then it's a hit. This is the order of importance of a song and anyone in the business with tell you the same. Beat, Hook and then vocals. To say that someone is 'just a beat maker' is a lie of the industry designed to prop up 'super producers' and put them in a place to reign over others.

Also, I don't know if you think I'm trying to take anything away from Dre I'm not. All I'm saying is that most fans think he made the beats to alot of tracks where he actually just did what you said above. I even thought he made the beat to Still Dre until a few months ago when Scott Storch did a interview and took credit for it. People think the same about everything that came out on Death Row, that Dre did all the beats. Even Yella was doing alot to help with the beats back at Ruthless I'm just now finding out because he did promo for the movie.

bruh, i dont think u get what dre does...he doesnt just take a beat and makes a few minor adjustments. he recreates the entire beat to where he's 90% responsible for the final sound, where as the person who came up wit the beat idea is about 10% responsible. see the example above, you can hear it better than i can tell you.
That doesn't mean that he puts that much work into every track he gets.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MCsKiDtsEAQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MCsKiDtsEAQ</a>
11:25 mark on
and then
14:20 mark on

He played the keys on the track, exactly my point .. Session player, not producer. We know what a Scott storch beat sounds like witout Dre n it's not even close.
He played the keys, who played the bass, who did the drums etc. The question here is who made the beats, not who produced them. Also if you watch the video he says that him and Dre created that sound and then he goes on to say that he backed away from the sound basically giving it to Dre. Obviously if they helped create the sound together you wouldn't know who's sound it was. The same way I and the person who conducted the interview didn't know who's keys that song was. Anytime you hear that sound you just assume it's Dre just like Scott says.

it's like a coach who has assistant coaches.....at the end of the day, it all falls on the head coach. thats the man in charge and the man mainly responsible for the final outcome. you can bet your bottom dollar that dre's genius goes far beyond mr. storch's

TidyKris

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 05:11:02 PM »
Dre is a "enhancer"...the end.

People are going to worship Dre no matter what...if it came out that his only involvement
was making the drinks in the studio then people are going to say that is the most important part of producing.
This topic is one that will go on forever..

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:13:23 PM by TidyKris »

Sccit

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »

People are going to worship Dre no matter what...if it came out that his only involvement
was making the drinks in the studio then people are going to say that is the most important part of producing.

The engineer is an "enhancer" .. To put that kinda label on Dre is completely disrespectful, undermines his body of work, and is just flat out retarded.

TidyKris

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »

The engineer is an "enhancer" .. To put that kinda label on Dre is completely disrespectful, undermines his body of work, and is just flat out retarded.

No it is not at all...Dre enhances beats, people make the basis of the beats and Dre enhances it beat to make it better...whats retarded about that?
Thats exactly what he does.

An engineer will enhance the sounds...not the beat itself. Standard engineers dont have any writing or producing credits.

But again i go back to my comment about Dre being god to some people and anything said against him that is not agreed with warrents crucifixion lol

An just for the record...i am not dissing Dre at all here. I really like Dre

Sccit

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
because he doesnt "enhance" beats...and to think of it like that is pretty ignorant. dre selects, arranges, directs, and is the main man in charge of the entire process of creating a track, from inception to completion......for example, check the videos jaytee posted. dre completely recreated the beat and made it his own....is the basis the same? sure.. but it's a completely different finished product. it's not an "enhancement"........to say that completely undermines what he does n is frankly inaccurate fam.

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »
Those who criticise Dre have obviously never produced a beat themselves, if they had they would know first hand exactly how hard it is to have a vision of the end product in the first place then select the right elements, place them correctly and mix them together to that level of crispness and polish that Dre has honed to a T.

The boy can do it in his sleep.

Of course he has had collaborators, he's like the hip hop Quincy Jones, a producers producer, but none of those that have worked with him have ever managed to create anything even half as good without him and thats where Dres genius lies. He can take a diamond in the rough and make the mfer shine and as any jeweller will tell you that is a talent that very few have.

TidyKris

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »
because he doesnt "enhance" beats...and to think of it like that is pretty ignorant. dre selects, arranges, directs, and is the main man in charge of the entire process of creating a track, from inception to completion......for example, check the videos jaytee posted. dre completely recreated the beat and made it his own....is the basis the same? sure.. but it's a completely different finished product. it's not an "enhancement"........to say that completely undermines what he does n is frankly inaccurate fam.

I never said he doesnt make beats or anything like that....we are talking about the claim that other producers have made the basis of the beats.
Like the producers he worked with...one may bring the samples, the other may write the melody..then Dre enhances it by turning it into a dope beat.

Enhancement doesnt just mean one thing, it can mean lots of things...to increase something, improve something,  strengthen something, build up something the list goes on.
An thats what he does...i dont see the problem here

Enhancement doesnt just mean to make a track sound better "sound wise" 

Sccit

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »

I never said he doesnt make beats or anything like that....we are talking about the claim that other producers have made the basis of the beats.
Like the producers he worked with...one may bring the samples, the other may write the melody..then Dre enhances it by turning it into a dope beat.

Enhancement doesnt just mean one thing, it can mean lots of things...to increase something, improve something,  strengthen something, build up something the list goes on.
An thats what he does...i dont see the problem here

Enhancement doesnt just mean to make a track sound better "sound wise" 

But enhancement signifies that he just polishes what's already complete, when that's just not the case .. For instance, Khalil said "Kush" was a completely different beat before Dre got his hands on it. His work is far more extensive than simply just enhancing. 

abusive

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »
Those who criticise Dre have obviously never produced a beat themselves, if they had they would know first hand exactly how hard it is to have a vision of the end product in the first place then select the right elements, place them correctly and mix them together to that level of crispness and polish that Dre has honed to a T.

Of course he has had collaborators, he's like the hip hop Quincy Jones, a producers producer, but none of those that have worked with him have ever managed to create anything even half as good without him and thats where Dres genius lies. He can take a diamond in the rough and make the mfer shine and as any jeweller will tell you that is a talent that very few have.
If you go and read the person who made this thread's first two post he is clearly talking about Dre getting credit for beats he didn't make. For some reason you guys want to ignore the very premise of this thread and start talking about overall song production. If Dre or anyone else in the industry is taking credit for beats they didn't do there is nothing wrong with discussing that. Whether it was done legally or illegally. If you want to discuss the broader issue of song production versus beat production then at least put it in its proper context of this discussion. It has been said that Daz had signed off on some tracks and Dre got the credit for it, why is it wrong to point that out or question what other beats he may not have created that was attributed to him? What I'm seeing here is the same thing I see in Train of Thought, some of you guys don't want to know the truth.

So no, I don't know what beats Dre has done on his own and despite the back and forth none of us do. To say that a beat sounds like Dre doesn't really mean anything. You can go to youtube now and see a million types of beats that beat producers make that sound just like some other beat producer. The fact that Dre has always had someone with him from the Straight Outta Compton days, the drastic change in sound from the first to the second NWA album and other examples I listed in my previous post makes me wonder exactly what his role is in creating beats.

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »

If you go and read the person who made this thread's first two post he is clearly talking about Dre getting credit for beats he didn't make. For some reason you guys want to ignore the very premise of this thread and start talking about overall song production. If Dre or anyone else in the industry is taking credit for beats they didn't do there is nothing wrong with discussing that. Whether it was done legally or illegally. If you want to discuss the broader issue of song production versus beat production then at least put it in its proper context of this discussion. It has been said that Daz had signed off on some tracks and Dre got the credit for it, why is it wrong to point that out or question what other beats he may not have created that was attributed to him? What I'm seeing here is the same thing I see in Train of Thought, some of you guys don't want to know the truth.

So no, I don't know what beats Dre has done on his own and despite the back and forth none of us do. To say that a beat sounds like Dre doesn't really mean anything. You can go to youtube now and see a million types of beats that beat producers make that sound just like some other beat producer. The fact that Dre has always had someone with him from the Straight Outta Compton days, the drastic change in sound from the first to the second NWA album and other examples I listed in my previous post makes me wonder exactly what his role is in creating beats.

There was never a drastic change in dre's sound, but rather a natural evolution and progression in style.. But it all connects, if u listen to each album one after the other, you can hear the growth

abusive

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »

There was never a drastic change in dre's sound, but rather a natural evolution and progression in style.. But it all connects, if u listen to each album one after the other, you can hear the growth
There is a huge difference between Straight/100 and NFL. NFL has the g-funk sound, which Big Hutch is credited with creating. To say that there is a nature progression is to give Dre credit for creating the sound he didn't. As if somehow he would have naturally created that sound anyway.