Author Topic: Killer Ben Interview (Talks Durag Dynasty, Aftermath, Death Row Days)  (Read 1019 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
http://www.illuminati2g.com/untouchable/2016/01/31/killer-ben-interview/?cb=04068499661516398

I2G chilled with Killer Ben for an exclusive interview. We discuss his upcoming projects, his time working with Dr. Dre at Aftermath and Death Row Records and much more so check it out.

I2G:We’re here with Killer Ben, how’s it going, man?

KB:​I’m good, I’m good, what’s going on?

I2G:​Not too much. Let’s get right into it. What new projects currently are you working on, or working on any group albums or solo albums? What’s up with you right now as far as projects?

KB:​Well, I’ve been working on a lot of projects. I’ve got an EP called Invincible Ben that I’m working on. We’ve been putting a lot of work in, and just doing work with Dirty Diggs right now, working on the album, maybe an EP, little something like that. But you know Diggs, they put out a lot of collaborative joints, so I’m getting on maybe two or three of those. Just working. I’ve got a producer named Jazzy Moto. Crazy, we’re working on our album. Durag Dynasty, Gold Chain, all that.

I2G:That lead perfectly into my next question. Are you guys planning on dropping another Durag Dynasty album this year?

KB:​Definitely. The mobs are coming together, we’re feeling good. 2016 we definitely plan on hitting you all with something new.

I2G:I have a couple questions just from some fans, some fan questions, they wanted to ask you a couple throwback questions. First one is tell me a little bit about how you got discovered, you were discovered by Sam Sneed and K Solo, correct?

KB:​Correct.

I2G:​Just tell me a little bit about that process and how you got linked up with both Sam and K Solo.

KB:​Back in the days, writing lyrics and things like that, I came out the group home with some crazy lyrics. I was in Rochester, New York, upstate, and a good friend of K Solo, Ricky Kettles, happened to be doing the college radio station out there. I had a little rep from hitting house parties and things like that, so Ricky Kettle was kind of like, brought me to K Solo, I talked to Solo on the phone back in the day, which is crazy for me, being a hip hop fan. From there, it led me to eventually ending up in California and meeting Sam Sneed and doing work with him and moving onto working the aftermath compilation. That’s about it. Still been grinding since then. I fell back from the gang for a minute. Had to get my life right, get my mind tight and just keep writing. I’m writing and just staying active in the hip hop game.

I2G:​What was the atmosphere like at Death Row when you joined over at Death Row?

KB:​You know what, to be honest with you, I have to say, I was coming straight from the streets at the time, so I had a little street mentality, but it was a New York mentality. So coming to the West Coast was like an eye opener. It was like a different culture, everything was crazy. It kind of reminded me of going across town to a different recreational center. That’s it. It was crazy. It was a lot of creativity, I learned a lot. I met some good people that I still feel are family to this day. It was a great experience and it helped me accelerate my skills to a point where I try to put out the best work possible. Coming from that, that environment, there’s high expectations of myself. I like to add on to the culture.

I2G:​You worked a lot with Sam Sneed. Did you do any writing for Sam Sneed, or were you guys working on any type of project together at the time when you guys were over at Death Row?

KB:​We had plans on working on something. It was like trading on and off. Sam Sneed was instrumental in my development as a writer and as an artist. He kind of pointed me in the right direction at that time. A lot of what he told me stuck to me. I really didn’t write for him, but we all were collaborators and at the point of building songs together. Everybody had a part in the process.

I2G:​As far as, do you have any records or any full albums that you completed still in the Death Row vaults, or did you finish anything as far as any projects?

KB:​No, actually, we did some songs, one song that we did has been leaked. It’s on YouTube, it’s Guilty As Sin, and that’s me, at the time, I called myself Sharief. I was using my Muslim name Sharief. I’ve since changed it to Killer Ben from different circumstances in Brooklyn, things like that, moving and shaking, respect the city, Crown Heights. We got a song, Guilty As Sin, that got leaked. You can check it on YouTube. Kurupt is on there. Incredible MC Kurupt, crazy, that’s love right there. If the fans want to look back and check the music out, definitely look that up on YouTube.

I2G:Now, were you involved in working on any songs or any projects with Dr. Dre directly, and then explain a little bit the transition of leaving Death Row and then going over to Aftermath with Dre once Dre had left Death Row.

KB:​It was definitely a time for me to witness the business aspect of music, and the legacy of something great like that. Then you look at Aftermath now, just how great that is. It was just a creative time. It was crazy, because you leave in one situation to another, but I was new to the game, so I wanted to work with Dr. Dre from watching MTV raps and shit like that from back in the day. I was happy, I was like I’m going, yo. I’m with Dr. Dre. It was all love. Yeah, definitely witnessed the history.

I2G:​Now you also have a track on King T’s album Thy Kingdom Come called Real Raw, one of my favorite tracks. Tell me a little bit about how that song came together with King T.

KB:​I’m a huge Likwit Crew fan from back in the day. I bought King T albums. When I met King T, I was just like yo, this is the G right here. He’s a cool brother, yo. He was feeling what I do as an artist, and he helped build my confidence a little bit more and feel comfortable in Cali. Definitely welcomed me with open arms. We got on the joint together. It was crazy.

I2G:​In working at Aftermath, estimate how many tracks would you say you have that are still over in the vaults of Aftermath, and what eventually made you leave Aftermath Records?

KB:​Well, there’s probably not that many songs in the vault. I wouldn’t say that. I was doing a collaborative effort with an artist named Drauma, crazy and Dre as well. We had a couple joints we were doing. Most of all, at the time, I was like really trying to find my lane. You think of the game at that time, there was some incredible icons that were out at the time. Everything going the way the business was going and everything, I had to fall back a little bit. I had some personal issues I had to deal with. I just fell back for a minute, got right. Reserved my energy and I’m back.

I2G:​Absolutely. All right, do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates or anything coming up?

KB:​Actually, I want all the fans of Killer Ben, Durag Dynasty fans, follow me on Twitter @killerben. I’m on Facebook as Ben Buford is the name on Facebook. Add me as a friend. All the information for anything coming up, I’ve got a special surprise coming up for the fans, a nice album called Digital Pyrex. That’s in the works right now. Any updates, info, anything like that will be at those two locations.

I2G:All right, well that’s all the questions I have for you. Appreciate you getting down for an interview. Any last words or shout outs you want to get out there to the people?

KB:​I want to shout out Dirty Diggs, I want to shout out Alchemist, Rob Marciano, I want to shout out The Winners, my G Hus Kingpin, my man Rosewood, the whole Winner crew, smooth, Marvelous Mag. I want to shout out Planet Asia, Durag Dynasty, Gold Chain Military, Free Killer Kali, my man Turban Sean Sissaro is out right now. Go get that. COS, Brooklyn in the building. Rochester up state, hold it down. West Coast love.

123imagee

Re: Killer Ben Interview (Talks Durag Dynasty, Aftermath, Death Row Days)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:52:44 AM »
dope